Cutler to run read-option

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 am
  • HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... on-in-2013

Their line is so bad, they just said 'f' it.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 am
  • It'll probably be a good improvement for their offense, honestly. Stop depending on their tepid O-line for anything, haha.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:18 am
  • Cutler has some moves, but the guy is a concussion waiting to happen. Seems like a quick way to end the season for the Bears.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 am
  • When I clicked this, I expected to see an article from theonion. Still made me lol.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am
  • I do love watching Cutler get sacked time and time again. This is going to be a riot to watch!

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 am
  • Aww man. Too bad we aren't playing the Bears in the regular season this year. We'd have a better chance at setting some sort of sack record.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Aww man. Too bad we aren't playing the Bears in the regular season this year. We'd have a better chance at setting some sort of sack record.

seems like we played them every year too, was beginning to think they were in the division
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm
  • I do remember Cutler making Earl Thomas (I think) look like a fool on one play last year. Cutler has underrated athleticism. But this is still funny.
    Pete Carroll + John Schneider = Always Compete
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:35 pm
  • You can't stop Cutler. You can only hope to contain him.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:You can't stop Cutler. You can only hope to contain him.

I didn't know they made a bag big enough for his douchiness.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:00 pm
  • I might watch every bears game next season since I am a fan of Cutler...getting sacked.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm
  • Cutler has some wheels, but I wouldn't count on him enjoying that too much. There are really only a few teams that can do it and even the Niners and Hawks aren't running it much. More about the threat than the actual use.

I wonder how the Skins will fare? RG3 really coming back like new? It seems they were the ones using it the most and eventually RG3 even got hurt.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm
  • It was truly entertaining going into Chicago and winning three straight. I could see them winning the 2011 game without Cutler, but I had the other two chalked up as losses. 3 different QB's, same result.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:It was truly entertaining going into Chicago and winning three straight. I could see them winning the 2011 game without Cutler, but I had the other two chalked up as losses. 3 different QB's, same result.

3 straight? Did you forget the playoffs? We went to Chicago in round 2 and lost to them because, like our last @ 49ers game, our receivers couldn't catch the clap in a Mexican whorehouse that day. We've won the last two, lost the one before that, and won the one before that which was in the regular season of the same year we lost to them in the playoffs.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 am
  • The thing about the read-option is I don't think it takes a particularly mobile quarterback to run it, it's more of an evolution of the play-action pass than a new "gimmick".
    Whereas before in PA the QB would always keep the ball, the read-option just requires the QB to make that decision on the fly. It's obviously more dangerous with mobile QBs, but I think anyone that has good pocket awareness could run a form of it
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 am
  • A one legged RGIII who would run the 40 in about 3 minutes gained 9 yards on us with a run option play. Applied properly, Cutler can use a tool like this well.

And anybody who thinks Trestman is going to put his QB in a ton of danger is being silly. Not to mention the most dangerous spot on Chicago's field is right behind the center. Watch Cutler play us, he does some pretty amazing stuff on the move.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:19 am
  • Don't you have to be able to read before running that option?

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:A one legged RGIII who would run the 40 in about 3 minutes gained 9 yards on us with a run option play. Applied properly, Cutler can use a tool like this well.

And anybody who thinks Trestman is going to put his QB in a ton of danger is being silly. Not to mention the most dangerous spot on Chicago's field is right behind the center. Watch Cutler play us, he does some pretty amazing stuff on the move.

Like I said, Cutler has some moves, but I highly doubt they want him running the option like Wilson or RG3. RG3 on a bad knee is still more dangerous than Cutler on the run. Cutler can slip a tackle or two, but he is not a threat to reach the outside, which means defenses won't have to worry about contain as much. So, in your mind, where do you see Cutler running this read option? If he isn't a threat to get to the outside, and he isn't known for making quick decisions, that leaves Cutler essentially a sitting duck behind the line. The same line which he has taken a beating behind for the last few years. Obviously Trestman doesn't want to get Cutler hurt, but at the same time, there is no way Cutler runs this system effectively in Chicago without taking a few shots.

The ONLY saving grace to this decision isn't from Cutler's end, but I believe they have a pair of RBs that would work really well in the read option. I would imagine Cutler running the read option would be inclined to option to the RB 90% of the time.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 am
  • It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:29 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.

Come on, remember that the NFL is a business that is in the business of providing entertainment. I'm going to pull a Russell Crowe from Gladiator here, and ask "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

I'd love to see Cutler with the read option.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:30 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.

Come on, remember that the NFL is a business that is in the business of providing entertainment. I'm going to pull a Russell Crowe from Gladiator here, and ask "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

I'd love to see Cutler with the read option.

LOL...I'd love to see him in the option don't get me wrong as I would LMFAO.

And while we are at it, somebody tweet billacheat and convince him to run the option with Brady. If he would actually start running out of the pocket instead of planting roots, I imagine a few rules will be created to protect our QB's while running too! ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information