Cutler to run read-option

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 am
  • HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... on-in-2013

    Their line is so bad, they just said 'f' it.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    User avatar
    Cartire
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3610
    Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 am
  • It'll probably be a good improvement for their offense, honestly. Stop depending on their tepid O-line for anything, haha.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26911
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:18 am
  • Cutler has some moves, but the guy is a concussion waiting to happen. Seems like a quick way to end the season for the Bears.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 am
  • When I clicked this, I expected to see an article from theonion. Still made me lol.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am
  • I do love watching Cutler get sacked time and time again. This is going to be a riot to watch!
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2235
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 am
  • Aww man. Too bad we aren't playing the Bears in the regular season this year. We'd have a better chance at setting some sort of sack record.
    User avatar
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2268
    Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Aww man. Too bad we aren't playing the Bears in the regular season this year. We'd have a better chance at setting some sort of sack record.


    seems like we played them every year too, was beginning to think they were in the division
    User avatar
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 335
    Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 am
    Location: LA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm
  • I do remember Cutler making Earl Thomas (I think) look like a fool on one play last year. Cutler has underrated athleticism. But this is still funny.
    Pete Carroll + John Schneider = Always Compete
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 256
    Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:35 pm
  • You can't stop Cutler. You can only hope to contain him.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9882
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:You can't stop Cutler. You can only hope to contain him.


    I didn't know they made a bag big enough for his douchiness.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10756
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:00 pm
  • I might watch every bears game next season since I am a fan of Cutler...getting sacked.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    User avatar
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *
     
    Posts: 7231
    Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm
  • Cutler has some wheels, but I wouldn't count on him enjoying that too much. There are really only a few teams that can do it and even the Niners and Hawks aren't running it much. More about the threat than the actual use.

    I wonder how the Skins will fare? RG3 really coming back like new? It seems they were the ones using it the most and eventually RG3 even got hurt.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5957
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm
  • It was truly entertaining going into Chicago and winning three straight. I could see them winning the 2011 game without Cutler, but I had the other two chalked up as losses. 3 different QB's, same result.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5957
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:It was truly entertaining going into Chicago and winning three straight. I could see them winning the 2011 game without Cutler, but I had the other two chalked up as losses. 3 different QB's, same result.


    3 straight? Did you forget the playoffs? We went to Chicago in round 2 and lost to them because, like our last @ 49ers game, our receivers couldn't catch the clap in a Mexican whorehouse that day. We've won the last two, lost the one before that, and won the one before that which was in the regular season of the same year we lost to them in the playoffs.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26911
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 am
  • The thing about the read-option is I don't think it takes a particularly mobile quarterback to run it, it's more of an evolution of the play-action pass than a new "gimmick".
    Whereas before in PA the QB would always keep the ball, the read-option just requires the QB to make that decision on the fly. It's obviously more dangerous with mobile QBs, but I think anyone that has good pocket awareness could run a form of it
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2597
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 am
  • A one legged RGIII who would run the 40 in about 3 minutes gained 9 yards on us with a run option play. Applied properly, Cutler can use a tool like this well.

    And anybody who thinks Trestman is going to put his QB in a ton of danger is being silly. Not to mention the most dangerous spot on Chicago's field is right behind the center. Watch Cutler play us, he does some pretty amazing stuff on the move.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11939
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:19 am
  • Don't you have to be able to read before running that option?

    :les:
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:A one legged RGIII who would run the 40 in about 3 minutes gained 9 yards on us with a run option play. Applied properly, Cutler can use a tool like this well.

    And anybody who thinks Trestman is going to put his QB in a ton of danger is being silly. Not to mention the most dangerous spot on Chicago's field is right behind the center. Watch Cutler play us, he does some pretty amazing stuff on the move.



    Like I said, Cutler has some moves, but I highly doubt they want him running the option like Wilson or RG3. RG3 on a bad knee is still more dangerous than Cutler on the run. Cutler can slip a tackle or two, but he is not a threat to reach the outside, which means defenses won't have to worry about contain as much. So, in your mind, where do you see Cutler running this read option? If he isn't a threat to get to the outside, and he isn't known for making quick decisions, that leaves Cutler essentially a sitting duck behind the line. The same line which he has taken a beating behind for the last few years. Obviously Trestman doesn't want to get Cutler hurt, but at the same time, there is no way Cutler runs this system effectively in Chicago without taking a few shots.

    The ONLY saving grace to this decision isn't from Cutler's end, but I believe they have a pair of RBs that would work really well in the read option. I would imagine Cutler running the read option would be inclined to option to the RB 90% of the time.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 am
  • It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:29 pm
  • NinerLifer wrote:It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.


    Come on, remember that the NFL is a business that is in the business of providing entertainment. I'm going to pull a Russell Crowe from Gladiator here, and ask "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

    I'd love to see Cutler with the read option.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26911
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Re: Cutler to run read-option
Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:30 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:It seems that some teams don't understand that it takes a QB with a specific skill set to run the read option. Cutler isn't going to make it past week 3 if they start to employ the option.


    Come on, remember that the NFL is a business that is in the business of providing entertainment. I'm going to pull a Russell Crowe from Gladiator here, and ask "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

    I'd love to see Cutler with the read option.


    LOL...I'd love to see him in the option don't get me wrong as I would LMFAO.

    And while we are at it, somebody tweet billacheat and convince him to run the option with Brady. If he would actually start running out of the pocket instead of planting roots, I imagine a few rules will be created to protect our QB's while running too! ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm




It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online