Is Freeney out of the Picture?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I think many here think that we are not OK at DT. I think we should resign Branch for sure. If not, we can add a player at #56.

But this draft is deeper at other positions than DT. Remember Howard worked with Quinn at Florida and they are re-united (and it feels so good :shock: ) He should be able to get more out of him.

Getting D.F. would make us absolutely sick on the D.L.

Winterfell

Reaction score
Hell, it would be worth it to sign Freeney just for all the priceless reactions it would get...

Seahawks fan reaction:

49ers fan reaction:

Tumblr lrsnzdBKye1qafrh6

Rams fan reaction:

Reaction ItalianSpiderman

Cardinals fan reaction:

Durr

Media reaction:

Wee bey oh shit

Football God's reaction:

M1C1E

seahawkcanuck

Reaction score
Winterfell":e7u3o9x2 said:
Hell, it would be worth it to sign Freeney just for all the priceless reactions it would get...

Seahawks fan reaction:

That Post Says it All !

My 2 cents, Freeney is Not Needed..but would be a welcomed addition on a 1 year agreement, with the acquisitions of Avril and bennet we need to focus the remain Cap towards other areas with more pressing concern. Saving Money for our upcoming FA's is going to be Key.
But it totally seems like this team has a WIN NOW mentality (and by now I mean this upcoming season)

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
seahawkcanuck":3is7d3ou said:
Winterfell":3is7d3ou said:

Seahawks fan reaction:

That Post Says it All !

My 2 cents, Freeney is Not Needed..
But it totally seems like this team has a WIN NOW mentality (and by now I mean this upcoming season)

Not needed?...Do you personally know Chris Clemons rehab and if he will be ready to play come Sept.?

And yes, we are trying to win the Super Bowl RIGHT NOW, that is the goal. The goal isn't to win it in the future, the future is RIGHT NOW.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":13rufzb2 said:
I think many here think that we are not OK at DT.

I definitely do not think we are ok at the 3 tech.

Bennett is a situational pass rusher. He can play 3 much like the Jason Jones role. He is better at the run, but it's not something I would want him doing for a whole game. We don't have a guy to play the 3 that can adequately collapse the pocket in our base defense.

Branch should be a situational 3 in short yardage. He provides almost zero pocket push as is. We are entirely too dependent on wholesale sub packages. We got burned hard by SF when they mixed up their play calls to take advantage of our substitutions. Their OL is plenty good enough to convert 3rd and 5 against our pass rush package.

This becomes a problem when we play teams that are balanced. And in the NFC, the competitors for the conference (SF, Sea, Atl, NYG/Wash) all have the ability to run or pass effectively. It is a weakness that is exploitable by the very teams we need to beat.

If we were in the AFC, I wouldn't sweat it. But the top teams in this conference are still committed to running the ball.

seahawkcanuck

Reaction score
Largent80":2dbpizzn said:
seahawkcanuck":2dbpizzn said:
Winterfell":2dbpizzn said:

Seahawks fan reaction:

That Post Says it All !

My 2 cents, Freeney is Not Needed..

Not needed?...Do you personally know Chris Clemons rehab and if he will be ready to play come Sept.?

And yes, we are trying to win the Super Bowl RIGHT NOW, that is the goal. The goal isn't to win it in the future, the future is RIGHT NOW.

I do, the cap at this point just doesn't allow for another high profile signing

Dwight Freeny
YEAR BASE S. BONUS MISC. CAP HIT
2012 14,035,000 2,500,000 2,500,000 19,035,000

Seahawks salary cap space remaining after Harvin/Avril/Bennett acquisitions: $6.43 million

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":ivkmk7f0 said:

Actually, if I've heard Carroll correctly, the goal is to win FOREVER. Not just RIGHT NOW.

Sacrificing the future just for the CHANCE to win RIGHT NOW is stupid. I'm not saying that signing Freeney would be sacrificing the future, but the mentality that a team has to completely sell out to win IMMEDIATELY and damn the consequences in 2014 and beyond is ridiculous. It's what leads to a decade of the Redskins sucking and what leads to the Eagles' "Dream Team" winning 5 games.

There's no guarantee that Freeney would make a significant impact on our pass rush. I've seen him dominate, but I've also seen him get stonewalled, and he's not getting younger. How much of his decline last year was due to a scheme change in Indy, and how much was his getting on in years? It's impossible to say either way with any level of certainty.

So my argument would be instead of possibly hamstringing the team in the future by awarding an aging vet a pricy contract (if, indeed, that's what Freeney gets) and making it harder for us to re-sign Chancellor, Thomas, etc., why not just put yourself in the best position to make the playoffs EVERY YEAR instead of RIGHT NOW. Because anything can happen in the postseason.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You (plural) do know this whole discussion is based on a month-old opinion piece, right? I wonder if Wyman would still have that opinion after the Bennett and Avril signings, or if he has changed his views in light of them.

godawg

Reaction score
Though he may not be Dwight Freeney, I have high hopes for Dexter Davis as a Leo/LB pass rusher. Looking forward to see him come back from IR.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Largent80":2ztg0l2c said:
I don't think the amount of snaps matter to him, he wants to win, and quite frankly, a loaded gun is dangerous. The more we can arm ourselves with, the better off we are.

Freeney is going to sign somewhere he can play.

We don't know where Clemons is going to play when he gets healthy, I doubt Freeney wants to be our fourth defensive end. I bet the Hawks sign a DT who can play inside, I think that's the #1 weakness on our defense.