well they pass the new rule leading with crown...

Cartire

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3rz2p0qc said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m
The crown-of-the-helmet rule has also passed by a wide margin, I'm told.

just saw it. Well, there goes that.

I predict that next year, they will have instant replay on penalties because of all the egregious penalties, further slowing down the game and creating 5 hour long games.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
As long as they only penalize blatant violations of this rule than I'm okay with it, but as one of the other posters said, officials watching the play at full speed will probably end up flagging legitimate plays that look like violations at first blush. It's the Chancellor hit all over again: perfectly legal in retrospect, but it LOOKED illegal at the time and wound up being flagged. The same thing will happen here.

And I'm okay with reviewing personal foul penalties, but only if they take reviews away from the on-field officials and have them done in a replay booth upstairs like they do in college football and pro hockey. Any time taken up by additional reviews would be more than offset by the time saved not having to wait for some fat-@$$ed referee to jog over to one corner of the field and back any time there is a replay.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't think it'll affect Lynch too much as far as penalties are concerned. He has his panted stiff arm that he likes to use in the open field. I think what may happen is that it could open him up to more fumbles when using his stiff arm and someone comes from behind to try and knock the ball loose. That would be where my concern lies.

I understand the reason behind the ruling. With the NFL facing dramatic lawsuits due to post career injuries, they HAVE to show that they are working towards making the sport safer or else they risk losing way too much in the courts to sustain the league. It's a lose/lose scenario we are in. Hopefully the refs will use a lot of discretion or at least fairness when handing out the penalties on this.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
These guys get paid MILLIONS to play this game. They know the risks. They could also choose another occupation. The NFL is becoming "touch football". What's next? Flag football? And yes, the games will be way longer because of replay review concerning this. Ughh...Why does this have to happen when the Hawks actually become good?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":4j4j88p9 said:
These guys get paid MILLIONS to play this game. They know the risks. They could also choose another occupation. The NFL is becoming "touch football". What's next? Flag football? And yes, the games will be way longer because of replay review concerning this. Ughh...Why does this have to happen when the Hawks actually become good?

unfortunately how much the players make is insignificant. It's all about how much the executives, agents, and advertisers get. The players make a lot of money but it's a tiny fraction of the business.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Ultimate coward move by the NFL. Way to ruin the game we love assholes, one rule at a time

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":27yifjcr said:
Roger Goodell is the Devil. It is known.
It's kind of annoying that Goodell automatically gets blamed for everything is some sort of knee jerk reaction. You don't have to like the guy but seriously...how is this on him?

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
WOOOOOOOOOOOW. The NFL is a joke. I get the rule, but I feel like they failed to realize that refs are going to throw flags whenever THEY feel like someone is leading with the head. Can't wait for hundreds of flags to be thrown because someone is ducking into a pile, or trying to split two defenders.

Can't help but feel bad for the ball carriers going into this season. Chances are none of them change a damn thing they do, HOPEFULLY.

Kind of excited to see this blow up in Roger's face. WHAT A MORON.

ALSO. Can't wait to watch the Pro-bowl 16 weeks out of the year. Cause, we all know how exciting that can be!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":1vhdj4vv said:
WOOOOOOOOOOOW. The NFL is a joke. I get the rule, but I feel like they failed to realize that refs are going to throw flags whenever THEY feel like someone is leading with the head. Can't wait for hundreds of flags to be thrown because someone is ducking into a pile, or trying to split two defenders.

Can't help but feel bad for the ball carriers going into this season. Chances are none of them change a damn thing they do, HOPEFULLY.

Kind of excited to see this blow up in Roger's face. WHAT A MORON.

But didn't you just hear "how is this all Roger's fault?".. :stirthepot:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
What a stupid rule if it goes down. What are they gonna do about the goal line when backs are fighting for every yard? It doesn't seem like it has ever been a problem. I don't remember a lot of head injuries to running backs on the plays they are trying to stop.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
More flags, more time-outs, more commercials. I want to puke.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
This will probably hurt running teams the most, I hate this passing league only crap we have to watch now. We might as well just get rid of the RB and just have a QB throw the ball then after a catch rule the play dead.

Seattle, San Francisco, Minnesota, Tampa, and any other team with a good RB has made the running game a liability when they devise a run heavy game plan.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
The NFL does not want the NFC West teams to dominate. God forbid that their favorite teams don't make the SB. I am really starting to hate the league now. They keep showing the Robinson hit on Jennings over and over again. Marshall Faulk is not happy at all about this and I for one completely agree with his gripe.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
i feel bad for running backs entering this draft. have fun with your 6th/7th round salaries.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":avv8uktn said:
CANHawk":avv8uktn said:
Yeah, most successful business people tend to completely ignore the wishes of their clients. Seems like a good business practice...
Let's be real, the NFL stands to lose absolutely nothing if this rule passes and nothing if it doesn't. No one will stop watching the NFL or stop spending their money on the product based on outcome of the this rule.

Yep. and Enron was worth $100 billion dollars once upon a time ago. What's your point? I agree, this "one rule" isn't going to break them, but it's the continued errosion of what made the game popular in the first place that could eventually make people drift away. With all these cockameme rule changes, I can't help but wonder what comes next, and if I'm still going to care in 15 years.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
nfl only cares about advertising dollars, and mainstream companies only want to advertise their products during non-controversial television broadcasts. Unless of course the controversy is fraudulent faux-controversy 'reality' tv or something of course, then it's ok.

its pretty much that simple.

DericLee

Reaction score
It's just another vague rule that will help the NFL control outcomes of games.

Luckily, Seattle is now one of the NFL's darling teams, so they will make sure it benefits us more then it hurts us :)

In all honesty though, I think this would effect Robinson more then Lynch, can't remember a play with Lynch leading with the crown of his helmet...but can remember at least two where Mike Rob did.