Anyone else see Jim Brown.....

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
  • in the press conference with Goodell and being interviewed on NFLN by Andrew Siciliano yesterday? Damn dude looks like he could still run over a DT, a couple of LBs and drag a S the last 15 yds. into the end zone and he's 73 years old!!

    If you saw him play there's a VERY good chance you think he's the greatest player that ever played the game like I do, no matter what NFLN's top-100 said.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10764
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:40 am
  • I'm barely old enough to remember the Niners last Superbowl win, let alone Jim Brown.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2935
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Jim Brown was the real deal the likes of which has never been seen again, Or likely ever will be.

    Doub Farrar said it right. "Hard to compare him to any other time or player. He was like a men playing among boys"

    Doub that isn't an exact quote from you but damn close to the conversations we used to have about "best at". And no matter what I respect your football knowledge beyond most anyone else.

    :les:
    Image
    Getting ready for some football
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18388
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm
  • The Radish wrote:Jim Brown was the real deal the likes of which has never been seen again, Or likely ever will be.

    Doub Farrar said it right. "Hard to compare him to any other time or player. He was like a men playing among boys"

    Doub that isn't an exact quote from you but damn close to the conversations we used to have about "best at". And no matter what I respect your football knowledge beyond most anyone else.

    :les:


    Jim Brown was good, but how many yards a year do you think AP or even Marshawn would get going against DL who are 250lbs and LB 210-220? Brown never went against a Haloti Ngata or even a avg DL nowadays would be the greatest back then.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2167
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm
  • Exactly, it's hard to say. I'm sure Brown would play well today, given advances in technology and the medical field. I think Brown might be transcendent though.
    SkittlerLynching
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 49
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 pm


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Jim Brown was the real deal the likes of which has never been seen again, Or likely ever will be.

    Doub Farrar said it right. "Hard to compare him to any other time or player. He was like a men playing among boys"

    Doub that isn't an exact quote from you but damn close to the conversations we used to have about "best at". And no matter what I respect your football knowledge beyond most anyone else.

    :les:


    Jim Brown was good, but how many yards a year do you think AP or even Marshawn would get going against DL who are 250lbs and LB 210-220? Brown never went against a Haloti Ngata or even a avg DL nowadays would be the greatest back then.


    But if Jim Brown played today, HE would be also be bigger, stronger, faster, better trained etc . Watch those highlight reels on you tube. Everything is relative.

    I read his book, he prefers petite women with little titties
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 pm
  • And he took down Raquel Welch in her prime. Man has skills.
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm
  • rjdriver wrote:And he took down Raquel Welch in her prime. Man has skills.


    I'd still do her.
    User avatar
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 pm
  • Me too. What about Sofia L.? She's like 75. Gotta do it for bragging rights though.
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 pm
  • Brown quit while he still was relatively healthy, it took expanding the season twice before someone broke his record. Given the facilities now and training I have no doubt he would still dominate. He was speed with power.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9739
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:41 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Brown quit while he still was relatively healthy, it took expanding the season twice before someone broke his record. Given the facilities now and training I have no doubt he would still dominate. He was speed with power.


    No doubt. Jim brown had 1863 yards rushing in a 14 game season. He was averaging 133 yards a game. To be fair though, only four of his nine seasons were played with 12 game seasons. The rest were 14 game seasons. A lot of people think he amassed his 12312 yards in all 12 game seasons, not true. Still insane, but technically they only expanded the season once before someone broke his record, but they it expanded twice since 1961, when Brown already had four seasons under his belt. If Brown would have had 16 game seasons for his nine year career (26 more games), interpolating his career average, he would have finished with 2730 more yards or 15,042 yards.

    Taking it a step further. If Brown wouldn't have retired in his prime due to spite after being pissed off by Paul Brown and assuming he stayed in the league and played as long as Emmitt Smith did (with 16 game seasons from the beginning) he would have amassed 25,122 yards.

    25,122 yards.

    I know it doesn't take into account a ton if variables and him slowing down and stuff, but still.


    And he once watched Wilt Chamberlin get busy with 5'0'' chick at his pool. Said he wasn't sure it was going to work.

    Read his book back in 1993, why is it the main things I remember are all sex related?
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 am
  • rjdriver wrote:Me too. What about Sofia L.? She's like 75. Gotta do it for bragging rights though.


    Well, both are old enough to be my grandma but I'd do Sofia L just to say I did but she was 2nd to Raquel.
    User avatar
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 am
  • CPHawk wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Jim Brown was the real deal the likes of which has never been seen again, Or likely ever will be.

    Doub Farrar said it right. "Hard to compare him to any other time or player. He was like a men playing among boys"

    Doub that isn't an exact quote from you but damn close to the conversations we used to have about "best at". And no matter what I respect your football knowledge beyond most anyone else.

    :les:


    Jim Brown was good, but how many yards a year do you think AP or even Marshawn would get going against DL who are 250lbs and LB 210-220? Brown never went against a Haloti Ngata or even a avg DL nowadays would be the greatest back then.



    See there you go comparing apples and basketballs.

    That's an unanswerable question. I first want to ask if you've ever watched videos of his playing days?

    Second Doub Farrar and I were trying to make the point that if you had someone who so completely dominated today like then it would be the same thing. You people that want to apply yesterdays players to todays defenses are out of line as far as I'm concerned. There is just no way.

    Watch his videos and then try to imagine someone in todays game that was so physically better than the current players. But I'll tell you I would take Green Bays lines of the Paul Horung years and wager that he would run right at/over todays players that think they can bring down a big back with arm tackles. And not even todays players could accelerate with Gayle Sayers, I've watched to many since then. In fact the fastest defender I've seen in football strangely enough is a player from the Canadian League Brandon Browner. He has amazed all of us several times by running down really fast receivers from behind.

    But like you I can't be sure I can only speculate. And that's fine. Speculate, don't state it as fact when its merely your opinion.

    :roll:

    And another thing why are all you assholes stealing another thread with dumbass comments about your sexual fantasys that are not a part of this string.

    You act like little virgin girls trying to make something sexual out of every string you can.

    :141847_bnono:
    Image
    Getting ready for some football
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18388
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:18 am
  • Mea culpa Radish! I apologize.

    It was just a few things I remember from Jim's auto biography.

    In my defense, I have been married to the same woman for over 15 years. It's about as close to a little virgin girl as you can get.
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 am
  • That's why I have always been so high on OJ breaking the 2,000 yard barrier in the same 14 game seasons that Jim Brown did. Dickerson had 2 more games to barely break that record but is the only one in the record books.

    That is an example of some newer players not being better. They just were allowed a longer time to get extra yards. No I'm not saying that the newer players aren't better cause they are no question.

    But I'd wager no defensive player hits harder than Dick Butkus even now. Yes the rules have changed and its probably a good thing but still......

    :les:
    Image
    Getting ready for some football
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18388
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:51 am
  • rjdriver wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Brown quit while he still was relatively healthy, it took expanding the season twice before someone broke his record. Given the facilities now and training I have no doubt he would still dominate. He was speed with power.


    No doubt. Jim brown had 1863 yards rushing in a 14 game season. He was averaging 133 yards a game. To be fair though, only four of his nine seasons were played with 12 game seasons. The rest were 14 game seasons. A lot of people think he amassed his 12312 yards in all 12 game seasons, not true. Still insane, but technically they only expanded the season once before someone broke his record, but they it expanded twice since 1961, when Brown already had four seasons under his belt. If Brown would have had 16 game seasons for his nine year career (26 more games), interpolating his career average, he would have finished with 2730 more yards or 15,042 yards.

    Taking it a step further. If Brown wouldn't have retired in his prime due to spite after being pissed off by Paul Brown and assuming he stayed in the league and played as long as Emmitt Smith did (with 16 game seasons from the beginning) he would have amassed 25,122 yards.

    25,122 yards.

    I know it doesn't take into account a ton if variables and him slowing down and stuff, but still.........

    25,000! Holy shit. Thanks for the post. And btw, Les and I may come off as fossils cuz well we are, but if you saw Brown play, you'd know pure and simple. Oh and he's right about Gale Sayers too.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10764
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 am
  • And remember, these guys played in a league without a lot of safety concerns. The defense would gameplan on how to take these stars out. They would routinely go medieval on these guys, poking eyes and such. Look at Chuck Bednariks fingers if you want an idea on how the game was played.
    Last edited by rjdriver on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm
  • rjdriver wrote:And remember, thee guys played in a league without a lot of safety concerns. The defense would gameplan on how to take these stars out. They would routinely go medieval on these guys, poking eyes and such. Look at Chuck Benariks fingers if you want an idea on how the game was played.



    Was he the one that complained to an official that Butkus bite his fingers? Butkus grabbed his hand, held it up, "Can't be me, he still has fingers".

    :les:
    Image
    Getting ready for some football
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18388
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Anyone else see Jim Brown.....
Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm
  • The Radish wrote:
    rjdriver wrote:And remember, thee guys played in a league without a lot of safety concerns. The defense would gameplan on how to take these stars out. They would routinely go medieval on these guys, poking eyes and such. Look at Chuck Benariks fingers if you want an idea on how the game was played.



    Was he the one that complained to an official that Butkus bite his fingers? Butkus grabbed his hand, held it up, "Can't be me, he still has fingers".

    :les:


    HA!
    Could be, concrete chuck played both ways. Offensive line and linebacker I believe.
    This is what I'm talking about Tough SOB's back then

    CB_display_image.jpg
    CB_display_image.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 883 times
    User avatar
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
    Location: Utah




It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online