Sometimes, I feel like Earl Thomas is criminally underrated

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Nice post. And i agree with you. Earl has crazy range and is a beast in run support at the line of scrimmage.

I also think your avatar is criminally underrated and under appreciated

Not to mention undersized! (Not Earl, the avatar). Blow that baby up!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• McGruff wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:
    McGruff wrote:Winston Guy sucked pretty bad the few times he was on the field.

I'm not sure if it's what you're trying to do, but Winston and Earl aren't direct comparables. I'm not trying to defend him, because Winston did have his struggles, but he's much more of a Kam Chancellor than he is an Earl Thomas. Winston gets up in the box, brings the blitz and plays the run. He has nowhere near the skills to play the single high like Earl does. Nobody on the team does and very few guys in the league do. I was hoping that LeGree kid would work out, but it turns out he was a spaz...

I think Winston will be a contributor as he gets more up to speed with the pro game and what Pete wants him to do. He's like the Bruce Irvin of the secondary; lots of tools, just needs to be refined. ...I think.

Someone earlier mentioned replacing Kam with Guy . . . And I just don't see it. That's what I was responding to.

Ah, I see. Well... maybe if Kam got hurt and Jeron Johnson got locked in a bathroom or something, but other than that no way. Kam is mannnnn.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• chris98251 wrote:Just saw a Safety Rankings, Earl rated #6 and Kam #11, don't think they are over looked or under ranked at all.

Earl should be way higher than that. He's mininum a top 3 safety in the NFL. And personally I think he's the top safety.
    misfit
    NET Starter

• JKent82 wrote:I do too. Echoing what others have said, I love Sherm, but Earl is the best and most important player on the defense.

Kam is replaceable in my opinion, he has unique size, but not a unique skillset. I don't think Pete would do it, especially with how much Kam plays up as the 8th man in the box, but I'd love to replace him with a better pass defender, like another Earl-esque Safety. Not necessarily undersized and likely wouldn't be as elite speed as Earl, but someone who gives Earl freedom to roam. With Kam, Earl is restricted to center field most of the time. Scheme wise it doesn't make sense, but in my madden infested brain I'd want another more FS type out there.

What you're asking for is a return of the dreaded cover-2 defense. I'll pass on that, thanks. ;)
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• misfit wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Just saw a Safety Rankings, Earl rated #6 and Kam #11, don't think they are over looked or under ranked at all.

Earl should be way higher than that. He's mininum a top 3 safety in the NFL. And personally I think he's the top safety.

This!

The Hawks just don't get any respect or attention. Dissed again
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• What makes me want to punch a wall is when the pundits say someone is easily replaced in the draft (or along those lines). When was the last friggin' time we had someone like ET in the deep backfield who opposing offenses dare not test? If it were so darned easy to replace we'd have ET caliber Safeties there every year.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    JKent82 wrote:I do too. Echoing what others have said, I love Sherm, but Earl is the best and most important player on the defense.

Kam is replaceable in my opinion, he has unique size, but not a unique skillset. I don't think Pete would do it, especially with how much Kam plays up as the 8th man in the box, but I'd love to replace him with a better pass defender, like another Earl-esque Safety. Not necessarily undersized and likely wouldn't be as elite speed as Earl, but someone who gives Earl freedom to roam. With Kam, Earl is restricted to center field most of the time. Scheme wise it doesn't make sense, but in my madden infested brain I'd want another more FS type out there.

What you're asking for is a return of the dreaded cover-2 defense. I'll pass on that, thanks. ;)

Now now now, no one wants that! I just want two Earls. That's easy to find right?
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• If Earl had 'better hands' he'd probably be an all-pro Wide Receiver.....they usually make more money than safeties.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• So think about it, what was PC and JS's first defensive draft choice? Not a big DT to stuff the run, or a speedy edge player, but rather, an undersized free safety. And why would that be? Because, PC and JS know that E. Thomas tilts the entire field and allows the defense to flow downhill into the opposing offenses grill. They won't be giving up on that ability anytime soon.
    billio155
    NET Rookie

• misfit wrote:So I was listening to Brock and whatever show today, and they were talking about what a lot of us on here have been talking about, about who we need to extend as Schneider was talking about with Clayton on Saturday. The main point of the discussion was of the young stars on this team, who should be the top priority to resign (Okung, Kam, Earl, Tate). Sherman and Russell were excluded since the Hawks can't even negotiate with them due to the new CBA.

There were quite a few people calling in and talking about Earl being a priority, buy the guys on the radio seemed to be talking crazy. They said that obviously Sherman would be a priority eventually, but were talking about how both safeties, Earl included, would be easier to replace in the draft, and that Seattle could move forward if they needed too without taking too much of a hit. Then Tom Wasl(sp?) went on to say that he thought Earl had a off year and wasn't that good this year.

I think Earl gets underrated, probably more by the casual fan then on here, but Earl makes this whole defense go. I know he doesn't have the huge int #'s that people look at first, and that didn't really start clicking until the playoffs. Without earl, you can't bring Kam down in the box and play as much 1 single high safety as you do. And as good as Browner is, I don't think you can get away with having a corner at his speed without someone like Earl to cover things on the back end.

Am I alone here?

You must have only heard parts of that conversation. Brock and Chris both acknowledged that Earl was a special kind of talent and a quiet leader. Both thought that Kam or Brandon were more likely to either get traded or take pay cuts.

And he did sort of disappear mid season.
    My Tapatalk for Ipad is bigger than yours. Size matters.
    MeanBlueGreen
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information