Robert Woods is the most underrated player in the 2013 draft

polarbill1999

Reaction score
I would want to leave USC to with that douche Kiffen doing his best to destroy the USC football program.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":1ey7suyj said:
Recon_Hawk":1ey7suyj said:
You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip.

I was being harsh? I have nothing against Woods. I was just wondering if Pete might for reasons stated.

Talent and fit outweigh the off-the-field stuff. Pete has brought in the likes of Lendale White and Mike Williams, traded for Marshawn Lynch, drafted Bruce Irvin (who had big off-the-field question marks that impacted his draft stock), brought in Terrell Owens, Antonio Bryant and Braylon Edwards (all with question marks), and just traded for and gave $67 million to Percy Harvin who has been described as a malcontent.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
My uneducated guess is because people know what Woods brings to the table, and that's not particularly attractive pre-draft because you want to believe your team is going to find the next Randy Moss.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Who would people compare Woods to? Could he be a Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, michael crabtree, stevie johnson, etc???

I would take any of those guys in the late second.

pehawk

Reaction score
Agreed. He convinced me at the combine. He looked so natural and better than anyone else. He's ready to step in and be a 1,000 yard guy, immediately.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
How much is he an upgrade over Golden Tate? Golden was raw coming out of college but after being in the league for a couple of years; if we were to compare Robert Woods with Golden Tate now then how big is the difference between these two?

sc85sis

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1lwnjmrj said:
How much is he an upgrade over Golden Tate? Golden was raw coming out of college but after being in the league for a couple of years; if we were to compare Robert Woods with Golden Tate now then how big is the difference between these two?
Totally different styles, so you can't really compare. I'd say, however, that Robert is much more likely to step in and produce as a rookie. He runs routes really well, has good hands and decent speed and he's known for being a very hard worker. He may not have the ceiling Golden does, though time will tell there. But USC has used him all over the field as a WR. Golden has more of that RB/WR hybrid feeling because he converted to WR in college.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
polarbill1999":2sehunbn said:
Who would people compare Woods to? Could he be a Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, michael crabtree, stevie johnson, etc???

I think Reggie Wayne is a pretty good comparison.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Freshman year (2010):
[youtube]-TGu60OSVG8[/youtube]

Sophomore year (2011):
[youtube]va3cuLHgIbQ[/youtube]

Junior year (2012):
[youtube]Tmnl9FaFKHY[/youtube]

kearly

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1yzjah1q said:
kearly":1yzjah1q said:
Recon_Hawk":1yzjah1q said:
You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip.

I was being harsh? I have nothing against Woods. I was just wondering if Pete might for reasons stated.
It just seems you don't like him much based on a couple of things he said that may have been taken out if context or overblown. Not worth avoiding his tape over.

Well, when you are trying to cover 100-200 viable players, you look for ways to save time. Besides, name one time I said anything negative about Woods as a prospect. I think he's great, but I also think Titus Young is great, and I always knew that Seattle would never call him when he hit the market. I do not think Woods is the kind of headache that Young is, but I do think Pete is sensitive on the "unselfish" aspect to a WR, and he might make a big deal out of a small detail like that. Pete knows Woods better than anyone else in the NFL. Obviously, if we draft him, it's not an issue. I'm just wondering if it might be.

So far I've spent most of my time reviewing defense. Up until free agency, I probably broke down 30 pass rushers alone. Which has proven to be a waste of time, unfortunately. I've looked into about 15 WRs so far. Woods was on the list, he was just on the back burner because I had a hunch Pete might stay away.

kearly

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2vg3rere said:
Talent and fit outweigh the off-the-field stuff. Pete has brought in the likes of Lendale White and Mike Williams, traded for Marshawn Lynch, drafted Bruce Irvin (who had big off-the-field question marks that impacted his draft stock), brought in Terrell Owens, Antonio Bryant and Braylon Edwards (all with question marks), and just traded for and gave $67 million to Percy Harvin who has been described as a malcontent.

Woods doesn't have character concerns. But there are good reasons to think he might be unhappy if he's seeing just a couple targets a game. I don't buy that his leaving early had nothing to do with Lee. I think it's pretty clear it did. Maybe he doesn't care and just wanted to protect his draft stock? If that's the case then I don't see any problem- he was just making a good business decision. I guess we'll see. Can't say I blame him. But if the departure was over frustration from a reduced role, then I think Pete will see that as a mark against him. Personally, I don't care this kind of stuff, I just suspect that Pete does, since his current offense just finished a season that had them 32nd in pass attempts and spreads the football to a gajillion targets. Selfish types would hate it here. So I think there could potentially be some wariness from Carroll based on how Woods reacted to last season. I'm not saying I agree with him, but I think that's a possibility for how he views Woods.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":39qsh4rn said:

The guy I'm reminded of is Bobby Engram. Stedman Bailey too. Engram was a late 2nd round pick. Bailey and Woods probably will go in that area too.

Totally unrelated random fact: Stevie Johnson ran a 4.59. Wes Welker ran a 4.7 IIRC. It's really amazing how 40 times can be meaningless if a player has elite quickness.

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1kmx1kyd said:
polarbill1999":1kmx1kyd said:

Agreed on Wayne - GREAT comparison.

Also, kearly, Stevie requests that maybe he'd do fairly well w/Brady like Welker. Or, any QB, really.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Kip, based on everything I've ever heard or read about this kid, I'd be shocked if he had a selfish attitude. Does that mean he was thrilled to see his role reduced? Nope. And no one that talented should be. But I've heard nothing to indicate he's the type of potential 'problem child, diva' WR you're thinking he might be. He was one of the hardest-working guys on the team. He and Marqise both commented on how they had a fun competition to try to one-up each other because they're competitive and it made each of them better players.

Pretty much everyone in the USC forums I frequent commented last season about how Marqise was getting force fed the ball. Some blamed Matt. Some Kiff. And it was pretty hard to argue with the results overall. But we couldn't help wondering if it was hurting the team at times, especially when we'd see plays where Robert was wide open and totally ignored.

Did Marqise affect Robert's decision?Probably--for a number of reasons. But I don't think he's going to make a stink about the number of targets he's getting. After all, this is a kid who repeatedly told everyone that George Farmer (who also went to Serra HS along with Robert and Marqise) was even better than he. Unfortunately for George he's struggled with injuries so far in his USC career.

pehawk

Reaction score
To pile on what sc85sis said, Woods reminds me of Harvin, somewhat. I think Percy got a diva label because he was in a bad situation, with a poor QB, and he knew the Vikings wont ever have a real shot; i.e. he just wants to win. Woods sounds like a kid that winning is the most important thing.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
Chances of him dropping to us are greater in light of injury news:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 2h
NFL scout tell me USC Robert Woods may need to sit out a year due to an ankle injury. "Could play now, but better to wait until 100%."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CHawks4L":1l99y88m said:
Chances of him dropping to us are greater in light of injury news:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 2h
NFL scout tell me USC Robert Woods may need to sit out a year due to an ankle injury. "Could play now, but better to wait until 100%."
I don't buy that for a second. That is on par with the Dan Marino is a coke head, please please let him fall to us rumor.

Since when do ankles take a year to heal?

Latest posts