Ran into Kam at the ATL airport

BELLINGHAWK

Reaction score
First off: I'm blown away by how enormous that man is...
He came over after I said "Hey Kam! Go Hawks!" Super nice guy and took a sec to shake my hand. I said we've got a big season ahead of us, to which he replied "We've got unfinished business."
I mentioned his new contract and he said "They're workin on it as we speak!" with a big smile on his face. Sounds like he really is the next in line for a nice extension.
Random encounter, but what a good dude for taking a minute for a fan.

grizbob

Reaction score
Very cool indeed, thanks for sharing :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Interesting to hear that they are working on a new deal for him. I expect they are also working on deals with Earl and Okung.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It would be awesome if we could lock up Kam for a reasonable price. He's been a good player.

Thought I can't help but compare him to Michael Boulware, who played great as a rookie at LBer and moved to Safety for the Super Bowl year, but then for some reason his ability seemed to diminish and he was gone after just 4 years. I hope Kam can continue to improve his coverage skills.

I really like the smack he puts on opponents.

pinksheets

Reaction score
HawkFan72":yhdfmbeg said:
Interesting to hear that they are working on a new deal for him. I expect they are also working on deals with Earl and Okung.
Early isn't a FA until 2015 and Russell until 2016. Russell's already making decent money this year, and I think Earl's cap number is pretty low. I guess Earl could make sense if they could work it out this year so that his cap hit is going to be far less in 2015-2016 by paying him right now.

Axx

Reaction score
thats good to hear, many people on this website and sports analyst have Kam as one of the first players to go if we have cap issues.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Love these personal encounter experiences, especially when they are positive. Still think of Golden whenever I see maple bars

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Cool story and also informative.

themunn

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":33l95nsq said:
I got to talk to Kam at camp last summer...he is a good dude. And yes, that is a large man. I'm 6'3", 225 and I still felt small.

I mean he's listed at 6'3 232 so it must have all been in the mind

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
themunn":11744rky said:
FlyingGreg":11744rky said:
I got to talk to Kam at camp last summer...he is a good dude. And yes, that is a large man. I'm 6'3", 225 and I still felt small.

I mean he's listed at 6'3 232 so it must have all been in the mind

No, he's just filled out, muscular and broad. That and I had it in my mind "this is a safety".

kidhawk

Reaction score
BELLINGHAWK":3obhoxfi said:
First off: I'm blown away by how enormous that man is...
He came over after I said "Hey Kam! Go Hawks!" Super nice guy and took a sec to shake my hand. I said we've got a big season ahead of us, to which he replied "We've got unfinished business."
I mentioned his new contract and he said "They're workin on it as we speak!" with a big smile on his face. Sounds like he really is the next in line for a nice extension.
Random encounter, but what a good dude for taking a minute for a fan.

Very cool, and I'm betting quite surprising since you were at the Atlanta airport and not Seattle. Glad to hear they are working on it. Of course we have all season, so there's no rush to get it done, but it would be nice to have it all finished up so he can at least get it signed before we start camp.

HawkFan72":3obhoxfi said:

Actually I would expect not so much. Okung is locked up through 2015, that's 3 more years. We have a lot of money tied to his contract right now. We could feasibly restructure it to spread some of the money out, but as far as he is concerned, he's a hawk for the long term already. Thomas' contract, he's locked in for 2 more years, so unless they just want to move money around or try to get him locked in before the market increases next off season, there's no huge rush for his either. He is due over $8 million for the next 2 seasons. Both Earl and Okung were rookies before the rookie cap and were paid pretty well.

mikeak

Reaction score
pinksheets":2xqlo1zd said:
HawkFan72":2xqlo1zd said:
Early isn't a FA until 2015 and Russell until 2016. Russell's already making decent money this year, and I think Earl's cap number is pretty low. I guess Earl could make sense if they could work it out this year so that his cap hit is going to be far less in 2015-2016 by paying him right now.

Cap rolls over now it no longer makes sense to front load to have less of a hit in the future especially over playing another year for less money. Only advantage is if you pay overall less by a new deal now and avoid the player hitting free agency