Seahawks vs Niners players

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Asomugha was toasted for 14 TD passes last year I heard on ESPN or NFL Network recently. Poor scheme or not, I'd be OK facing him twice a year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't believe the Seahawk's youth is the massive advantage in the coming years that you think it is.

Those rookie contracts will all be expiring in a few years and Kam, Earl and the rest might need a hefty check to stay. We will almost certainly lose half our best guys that way.

I am not sure we have an advantage in the long term there, it might even be a disadvantage.

A small advantage is that our youth means we probably have better endurance and recovery. I don't believe the 49ers can sub much so I would bet that their guys might get spent before ours. They probably also take longer to recover, because of the age factor.

But no matter how young our guys are, they are likely going to demand a lot more when the contracts expire and I doubt we will be able to give most of them what they want.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think signing an old player to a one year deal really makes your team that much older. Seattle has used that tactic many times. Often old players still have 1 more season left in the tank and can be some of the best bargains in the sport.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
It was more of an observation nothing else and it was in regards to more than one player.

kag0331

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2kaj3jaj said:
I don't believe the Seahawk's youth is the massive advantage in the coming years that you think it is.

Those rookie contracts will all be expiring in a few years and Kam, Earl and the rest might need a hefty check to stay. We will almost certainly lose half our best guys that way.

I am not sure we have an advantage in the long term there, it might even be a disadvantage.

A small advantage is that our youth means we probably have better endurance and recovery. I don't believe the 49ers can sub much so I would bet that their guys might get spent before ours. They probably also take longer to recover, because of the age factor.

But no matter how young our guys are, they are likely going to demand a lot more when the contracts expire and I doubt we will be able to give most of them what they want.

That is very well said I think that is spot on with all NFL teams ... all about exploiting one to three year deals with small guaranteed money loaded with incentives.

BigMeach

Reaction score
The hope is the cap expands massively due to the tv money coming through. If this happens and we get the right big salary players to restructer we should have a good chance to sign our key youngins. Not to mention the comradery that our young guys are building, I would imagine they will all want to stay as long as we pay them fair market value. Of course there is always going to be a loss here or there, but I'm very hopeful we will be able to maintain very well.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
[youtube]y5JOBlxB20E[/youtube]

Watch this. It will make all "the 49ers present a threat" fear go away. LOL
:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

Note: Kudos to Salish for teaching me how to embed videos.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
BigMeach":2c70e4gv said:
The hope is the cap expands massively due to the tv money coming through. If this happens and we get the right big salary players to restructer we should have a good chance to sign our key youngins. Not to mention the comradery that our young guys are building, I would imagine they will all want to stay as long as we pay them fair market value. Of course there is always going to be a loss here or there, but I'm very hopeful we will be able to maintain very well.

The problem is this, minimum wage increases also increase the cost of goods and services and cancels out the wage gain in a short period of time. So too will salary cap increases increase individual salaries. I'm not ready to call salary cap increases a salvation, as you only have to wait a little while and agents are compensating for it with with increased salaries for their clients.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3mcw7b9b said:
BigMeach":3mcw7b9b said:

The problem is this, minimum wage increases also increase the cost of goods and services and cancels out the wage gain in a short period of time. So too will salary cap increases increase individual salaries. I'm not ready to call salary cap increases a salvation, as you only have to wait a little while and agents are compensating for it with with increased salaries for their clients.

Players get what they can get. The salary cap increase will only directly effect an increase in pay if the owners of the teams allow it to. We just saw a QB get the biggest contract ever in a time when their is a much more restricted cap. To say the cap dictates isn't necessarily true. But what is true is that if you have more ability to spend you have a higher chance to keep more players. I have faith in our FO that they will get it done, they haven't let us down yet.

nfcwizard

Reaction score
Last time Boldin played against Seattle D he had 2 catches for like 20 yds.. I'm pretty sure brandon browner can match up with him just fine.. Its not like we are goin against a fast reciver who can burn people.

Disp

Reaction score
Hawknight":2s0uiq4t said:
Has anyone noticed that the Niners seem to be getting older and Seattle is getting younger?

The 49ers lost 4 starters this offseason and every one of their replacements is younger.

36 year old Moss replaced by 32 year old Boldin
31 year old Sopoaga replaced by 23 year old Ian Williams
28 year old Delanie Walker replaced by 24 year old Garret Celek (or possibly by a drafted player)
28 year old Goldson replaced by TBD

How do you figure any of those replacements makes the team older?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Disp":xpe4ugrr said:
Hawknight":xpe4ugrr said:
Has anyone noticed that the Niners seem to be getting older and Seattle is getting younger?

The 49ers lost 4 starters this offseason and every one of their replacements is younger.

36 year old Moss replaced by 32 year old Boldin
31 year old Sopoaga replaced by 23 year old Ian Williams
28 year old Delanie Walker replaced by 24 year old Garret Celek (or possibly by a drafted player)
28 year old Goldson replaced by TBD

How do you figure any of those replacements makes the team older?

They don't, but the Niners are older, especially the starters in comparison and it isn't even close. The Hawks on the field average 24-25 years of age, that is including their additions of Avril, Harvin and Bennett. The Niners come in at 28-29 with their players that see the field. That is excluding each other's kickers.

:49ersmall:

rjdriver

Reaction score
Niners could be adding up to 14 20-22 year olds this April. That is what scares me most about the Niners. I believe this to be a pretty deep draft, and the Niners have a few early picks. I will be curious to see what happens on draft day in our division. The best division in the NFL I might add.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think bringing any of those players would be silly. The 49ers don't really have the cap to sign both unless they take huge pay cuts. Furthermore with 17ish draft picks that will eat up the majority of their cap space. I have no idea why they are so adverse to rookies playing. They are the complete opposite to Pete. They got virtually nothing from their draft class last year.

They should be able to find cheaper options in the draft, assuming they know what they are doing.