ESPN.com Power Rankings

kearly

Reaction score
IMO, Bennett and Avril were top 5 free agents. If Harvin was a free agent, he would have probably been #1. So it's a bit like we added 3 of the top 5 players out there, all at areas that we needed help at. I think most people recognize that Seattle was the NFL's best team by the end of the season- crushing the 49ers mercilessly pretty much decided it. Seattle was around the very top of the Vegas odds before FA- and were by far the most bet on team. Any other team at #1 would look pretty stupid right now, honestly.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Man, I absolutely love being considered one of the elite teams in the NFL. I've been a Seattle sports fan for 25 years and the only time I felt we had an elite franchise was the mid 90s Sonics. They threw up on themselves when they had a Jordan-less NBA and ran into the best team in history when it all finally clicked.

That's the complete list of my teams that I felt were as good as anyone else in their league for half a decade.

THIS Seahawks team is in the best position of any Seattle sports franchise in the last quarter century. Players want to play here. Analysts and media acknowledge how well run and talented they are. Opponents respect them.

We have a chance to be the dominant team of this decade. For real. Youth, drive and talent. In the front office and on the field.

I say enjoy the expectations. There has never been as much focus on a Seattle sports franchise as there will be this year with this team. They have the perfect makeup to not only handle the spotlight, but to thrive under it.

GO HAWKS!!!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I agree with the rankings. I disagree with the poster who said the Niners didn't really lose anyone in FA and they signed a good receiver. They did get a good receiver but lost both their starting and back up nose tackle, a good #2 TE, a probowl safety who was the best player in their secondary and Manningham will be lucky to have any impact this season the way he tore up his knee.

I don't know how yoy can't think the Niners have some glaring holes. Two/thirds of their receiving core will be new along with a new nose tackle and safety of which neither look to be on the team currently.

Seattle lost Jason Jones who was good when healthy but was rarely healthy and couldn't be relied on. We brought in his replacement and a good DE and a dynamic playmaker in Harvin that perfectly fits description of "tilts the field". I don't see any area we are worse and a couple we are better. Add in how strong we were to end season and it makes sense.

dunceface

Reaction score
This is pretty meaningless and I love it because its already getting under my niners friends skin! GO HAWKS!

rjdriver

Reaction score
RichNhansom":28a6r8bm said:
I agree with the rankings. I disagree with the poster who said the Niners didn't really lose anyone in FA and they signed a good receiver. They did get a good receiver but lost both their starting and back up nose tackle, a good #2 TE, a probowl safety who was the best player in their secondary and Manningham will be lucky to have any impact this season the way he tore up his knee.

I don't know how yoy can't think the Niners have some glaring holes. Two/thirds of their receiving core will be new along with a new nose tackle and safety of which neither look to be on the team currently.

Seattle lost Jason Jones who was good when healthy but was rarely healthy and couldn't be relied on. We brought in his replacement and a good DE and a dynamic playmaker in Harvin that perfectly fits description of "tilts the field". I don't see any area we are worse and a couple we are better. Add in how strong we were to end season and it makes sense.

Sure. Good Points. I also think we are the best team in the NFL. I just disagree with Kearly that it is "stupid" to consider anyone else at #1. I just think the Niners are as deserving as a preseason number 1 ranking as anyone. They were a few yards away from the Superbowl victory, they have a young QB, and they 14 picks in a deep draft. Yes, they lost a good DB, nose tackle and a backup TE, but their core is still the same. I think Boldan is a huge pick up that negates their losses. This isn't just a "respect the champs" thing either. It would be asinine to put Baltimore at #1, their subtractions of key, core players is irrefutable.

I'm not saying the Niners are better than us, as a matter of fact, I look forward to kicking the crud out of them. I can't wait to prove our dominance on the field by earning it, I'm just saying that it doesn't bother me that some would put the Niners ahead of the Seahawks, I can see the rational. I hate em', but they have earned it.

All I know is that after that first head to head matchup with Niners, there will be no doubt that we are a better, more talented, and more physical team

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rjdriver : "I think Boldan is a huge pick up that negates their losses."

All of them? All their loss's? I could see saying he replaces Manningham and would even buy he might be an upgrade but what about Moss? And the fact Crabtree will be the only returning starter from last year.

Delanie walker was used alot in their two TE sets and moved on because he wants to be a starter. Alot of members here wanted him on the hawks. He's not a giant loss in himself but take away Moss and Manningham also and I don't see how Boldin makes it an even swap.

Kaepernick will only have two guys from last year catching pass's in Crabtree and VD. Boldin's not "that" good. Kaep will also need to learn how to use Boldin. He is not fast but he is strong. If you can place the ball properly Boldin will win most of those battles but it is not as simple as it sounds and unlike Crabtree who gets separation and is visible when he is open, Boldin rely's on the QB to place the ball were he can fight for it. By the way if he is going up against Sherman that ball placement had better be excellent and if he is going up against Browner, please try and let Boldin fight it away from him. That won't work so well. Bowner can out muscle him and Sherman can out maneuver him.

Last time he played against those guys Boldin had two catch's for 22 yards.

Defensively their front 7 was what kept that machine rolling and hid the fact they were pretty weak in the secondary. Now they lost their NT and his back up. Again, might not normally be a big loss but they don't have a replacement on the team right now that can play the NT position. Add in that Justin Smith is coming off injury and is turning 34 in September. Consider whoever they get to play NT will take some time to get familiar with their schemes and how will that effect Justin Smith?

Now figure if that font seven takes a step back, how will that effect the secondary? Then remove the only probowler in the secondary from that equation. How good do you think Boldin is?

Yes they have 14 picks but last year was the first year that Balke was on his own as well as the first year in many he was picking towards the end of the draft. LMJ I think is the only draft pick that seen the field and AJ Jenkins looks like a horrible miss with zero catch's on the year and not being able to beat out even Ted Ginn for playing time.

If they lose Ted Ginn and it is looking like a real possibility, their return game will also take a big hit. LMJ might be able to step in but it is another unknown and most likely a down grade even if he is decent.

They just signed a new kicker. Do we just automatically assume he is going to be good? Can he boot it into the endzone on kickoffs? What about consistency or long kicks?

Glenn Dorsey might prove to be a good pick up and I am sure they are hoping he is Justin Smith's replacement but again, his track record so far doesn't guarantee success. I was hoping we would make a run at him so I won't lie, I think he has potential but still he is not the answer at NT and even if he does work out, as long as Justin Smith can play, he will be on the field.

Frank Gore also turns 30 May 14th. That is something that could very possibly come into play also.

I like Boldin but he is not the answer to all the questions they have going right now. They still have many other issues staring them directly in the face.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Lets also not completely ignore the difference in that game before and after the black out.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Lady Talon":27qepnq9 said:
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.

Well, regardless of what would have happened, I think leading the Superbowl with 1:30 left can be considered close to winning it.

We were close to winning the Atlanta game. We didn't win, but we were close.

But I digress.

You guys are right. We are head and shoulders better than them. We are in a totally different league than the defending NFC champs. Anybody who thinks they are even competition for us is crazy like me.

rjdriver

Reaction score
RichNhansom":uqda46xw said:
rjdriver : "I think Boldan is a huge pick up that negates their losses."

All of them? All their loss's? I could see saying he replaces Manningham and would even buy he might be an upgrade but what about Moss? And the fact Crabtree will be the only returning starter from last year.

Delanie walker was used alot in their two TE sets and moved on because he wants to be a starter. Alot of members here wanted him on the hawks. He's not a giant loss in himself but take away Moss and Manningham also and I don't see how Boldin makes it an even swap.

Kaepernick will only have two guys from last year catching pass's in Crabtree and VD. Boldin's not "that" good. Kaep will also need to learn how to use Boldin. He is not fast but he is strong. If you can place the ball properly Boldin will win most of those battles but it is not as simple as it sounds and unlike Crabtree who gets separation and is visible when he is open, Boldin rely's on the QB to place the ball were he can fight for it. By the way if he is going up against Sherman that ball placement had better be excellent and if he is going up against Browner, please try and let Boldin fight it away from him. That won't work so well. Bowner can out muscle him and Sherman can out maneuver him.

Last time he played against those guys Boldin had two catch's for 22 yards.

Defensively their front 7 was what kept that machine rolling and hid the fact they were pretty weak in the secondary. Now they lost their NT and his back up. Again, might not normally be a big loss but they don't have a replacement on the team right now that can play the NT position. Add in that Justin Smith is coming off injury and is turning 34 in September. Consider whoever they get to play NT will take some time to get familiar with their schemes and how will that effect Justin Smith?

Now figure if that font seven takes a step back, how will that effect the secondary? Then remove the only probowler in the secondary from that equation. How good do you think Boldin is?

Yes they have 14 picks but last year was the first year that Balke was on his own as well as the first year in many he was picking towards the end of the draft. LMJ I think is the only draft pick that seen the field and AJ Jenkins looks like a horrible miss with zero catch's on the year and not being able to beat out even Ted Ginn for playing time.

If they lose Ted Ginn and it is looking like a real possibility, their return game will also take a big hit. LMJ might be able to step in but it is another unknown and most likely a down grade even if he is decent.

They just signed a new kicker. Do we just automatically assume he is going to be good? Can he boot it into the endzone on kickoffs? What about consistency or long kicks?

Glenn Dorsey might prove to be a good pick up and I am sure they are hoping he is Justin Smith's replacement but again, his track record so far doesn't guarantee success. I was hoping we would make a run at him so I won't lie, I think he has potential but still he is not the answer at NT and even if he does work out, as long as Justin Smith can play, he will be on the field.

Frank Gore also turns 30 May 14th. That is something that could very possibly come into play also.

I like Boldin but he is not the answer to all the questions they have going right now. They still have many other issues staring them directly in the face.

Great points. Many I didn't consider. I agree with them and think we are the best team in the NFL. My whole point was that I understand and even agreed (til seeing these points) how many could consider SF an early favorite. It's their draft I'm worried about guys, everyone seems to dismiss it. I think they can fill some needs with their draft. I'm not on their side, I hate em' , but just trying to be objective. Thanks for the great post though RnH

strohmin

Reaction score
If any team is prepared to deal with high expectations, its the seahawks. We know the horrible taste of heart breaking defeats all too well. This team is too damn hungry and too damn confident to care anything about expectations.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I've had enough "flying under the radar" business, where has it gotten us? Seattle is now the bully in school that tells you he's going to steal your lunch money, and steal your girlfriend, the does it and there is nothing you can do to stop it!!!! Let the rest of the NFL hate, there is a lot of lunch money and girlfriends to be stolen! :)

titan3131

Reaction score
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?

dunceface

Reaction score
strohmin":3kx6gjgv said:
If any team is prepared to deal with high expectations, its the seahawks. We know the horrible taste of heart breaking defeats all too well. This team is too damn hungry and too damn confident to care anything about expectations.

I have to agree with this statement 100%
It seems like Carroll really has these guys focused on the task at hand
Their consistency has improved dramatically over the past 3 years and its been apparent in the supposed "head cases" we have taken aboard that have thrived and played very well
You can even hear it in the players candid comments on Twitter and other sources that they understand how much they demand from each other and how dedicated they are to the cause.
GO HAWKS!

dunceface

Reaction score
titan3131":2yt2unfx said:
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?

First time since 2006...although it may seem like it sometimes haha

dunceface

Reaction score
case in point:

"Earl Thomas @Earl_Thomas
Most people don't kno while we practice its basically like a club out there sometimes even a DJ!!! Man I miss my teammates..."

edit: thanks to http://nfltweeter.com/seahawks/