ESPN.com Power Rankings

kidhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":sdjet2kh said:
I meant it more as an overall.... all of this stuff is open for discussion and none of it means anything until Sundays in September. it just seems every thread has a "lets not get carried away." or "cant we wait until the games?" as if over excitement (whether positive or negative) on a message board will somehow effect the outcomes of those games.

That's exactly what I was agreeing with. We should be able to discuss how we feel about the team here. None of it matters here, even in September we are all here discussing opinions. Some opinions will be more popular others less so, and even others will be dumber than dumb, but that's how you get through the days there are no games, and those are many in the offseason

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I commented saying:

"As a Hawks fan, I agree with Niner fans that this ranking doesn't mean anything. After all, Niners were #1 right before the Hawks smacked 'em down 42-13."

8 likes so far, woohoo!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I take it with a grain of salt. We look at what time of year it is, and when the power rankings came out. This is about who is looking best towards the end of FA when most of the impact players are signed somewhere.

The Hawks retained most of their team and pretty much all of their starters but Branch, and that was on purpose. We've "won" FA by signing the highest rated free agents that addressed our greatest areas of need, and we didn't over pay for them. We also added an offensive weapon that is one of the tougher matchups in the league, fits our system perfectly, and gave our biggest division rival fits the last time they played.

I don't take any stock in it, but it's hard to disagree with any of the top 4 -5 teams being interchangeable at this point.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2dsh6d6c said:
I don't take any stock in it, but it's hard to disagree with any of the top 4 -5 teams being interchangeable at this point.

I really think that these "power polls" no matter if taken now or in week 17, you can really bunch them off in groupings. As you said, any of the top 4 are interchangeable, and if you watch throughout the season, it's not uncommon to see the #1 team drop down a few notches every few weeks. I believe this can be said for the poll as a whole. You can take any group of 4-6 teams in the same part of the poll and likely find them quite interchangeable. The poll itself doesn't MEAN anything, but it can make for some interesting discussion topics.

el capitan

Reaction score
I'd swap the Falcons and Packers. No way Atlanta should be in the top 5.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man I really hope we can live up to these expectations on the field. We cannot have a letdown!

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I take no stock in power rankings. I'm sure it will change after the draft anyway.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Dang...now this board has nothing to look forward to! We have come to the end! Nothing else to read or say anymore! :sarcasm_off:

(BTW...if you stay on that page long enough, it will just about freeze your Internet connection with all of the user comments flowing in.)

CANHawk

Reaction score
I kinda miss East Coast Bias sometimes...

...wait a minute. No I don't! This is AWESOME!!! Somebody wheel Areatha Franklin's fat ass in here! "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Pehawk please stop touching me, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Seahawks win the NFC, ohh!"

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawker84":26yna4ju said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151885/article/nfl-power-rankings-49ers-claim-no-1-amid-free-agency-frenzy

:stirthepot:

Those are just the rankings of one dude. I agree this rankings business is silly, but at least ESPN's is a consensus of four regional bloggers and Clayton. Much better snapshot of national perception.

This guy has the Ravens at #5, ahead of the Packers and Falcons, after they essentially blew up their team this off-season. Ridiculous.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Don't like this. Seams too much too fast.

Wish we didn't have the spot light focused on us until we actually won the whole damn thing.

rjdriver

Reaction score
NFC West is the highest rated division. Even with the Cardinals ranked at 29. Three teams in the top 15. It's a far cry from 3-4 years ago when we were the butt of a lot of jokes. That's what I love

rjdriver

Reaction score
I wish the Niners were ranked #1. I want to beat them while they are the consensus number one. And frankly, I think they deserve it. They had a great record last year against a tough schedule with some very high quality road wins. They go into Atlanta and win the NFCCG and come within a few yards of winning the SB.

Fast forward to the offseason and they don't lose a ton, sign a quality veteran WR, and have 14 picks in a deep draft in which to replace people they do lose and add some depth in other areas such as their defensive backfield.

I hate them as much as anyone here (as in loathe) but I give credit where credit is due. I'm glad they're good. These battles are going to be epic. The games are months away, but I can guarantee you I'm going to need a concoction of Unisom, Ambien, and Patrón to sleep the night before those two SEA-SF games.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
rjdriver":8vn14mxs said:
I wish the Niners were ranked #1. I want to beat them while they are the consensus number one.

That happened last year. And it was glorious.

el capitan

Reaction score
rjdriver":my6z1q6i said:
I wish the Niners were ranked #1. I want to beat them while they are the consensus number one. And frankly, I think they deserve it. They had a great record last year against a tough schedule with some very high quality road wins. They go into Atlanta and win the NFCCG and come within a few yards of winning the SB.

Fast forward to the offseason and they don't lose a ton, sign a quality veteran WR, and have 14 picks in a deep draft in which to replace people they do lose and add some depth in other areas such as their defensive backfield.

I hate them as much as anyone here (as in loathe) but I give credit where credit is due. I'm glad they're good. These battles are going to be epic. The games are months away, but I can guarantee you I'm going to need a concoction of Unisom, Ambien, and Patrón to sleep the night before those two SEA-SF games.

I hope the 49ers win 11-12 games next year (as long as they don't beat us). There is no team I'd rather play in the NFCCG than them. Great dynasties are built on rivalries.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2v3f8gqk said:
We're too high. We didn't even make it to the NFC championship game and need to prove it first before being called #1. The highest we should be is #3 imo
We are fans we can get too high, we are not playing on the field. Take it with a grain of salt if it bothers you.

A

Anonymous

The Seahawks have NEVER started the season in the number one spot in the rankings, even after the Superbowl showing. That following year, the Steelers started in the top rankings spot. We did, however, rule the number 1 spot for weeks leading up to SB40.

That being said, I echo what many have already said, and agree that this truly means nothing beyond some learned sportswriters finally looking past the Mason-Dixon line for their data.

It is amazing what effect the signing of arguably the best available free-agent in the league has on the whole deal.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Rather be flying under the radar, stealthy-like.