Sometimes, I feel like Earl Thomas is criminally underrated

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Wilson and Earl need to be kept as long as possible, as they are the keys to Seattle's dominance on their respective sides of the ball. Everyone else is just a replaceable role player to varying degrees.

Basis4day

Reaction score
misfit":2c51yo11 said:
There were quite a few people calling in and talking about Earl being a priority, buy the guys on the radio seemed to be talking crazy. They said that obviously Sherman would be a priority eventually, but were talking about how both safeties, Earl included, would be easier to replace in the draft, and that Seattle could move forward if they needed too without taking too much of a hit. Then Tom Wasl(sp?) went on to say that he thought Earl had a off year and wasn't that good this year.

I'll need to re-listen because that doesn't sound at all what they normally say about ET. Keep in mind that that crew is pretty jet lagged from flying back from Ireland.

CANHawk

Reaction score
The only two people on this entire team more important than Earl Thomas are Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll.

Earl's ability to play that single high safety allows the rest of the LoB to play as aggressively as they do. In many respects, Earl sets the tone for the best defense in the league.

I like to call it the "Brock and Misc. Show".

rjdriver

Reaction score
We'll keep him

The only question that remains is whether he will leave the greatest safety in Seahawks history. Or is that sacrosanct speak around here. Diags?

drdiags

Reaction score
rjdriver":1qnw32qg said:
We'll keep him

The only question that remains is whether he will leave the greatest safety in Seahawks history. Or is that sacrosanct speak around here. Diags?

Kenny Easley and I approve this message. Kenny never got his shot at playing FS. He had a little Earl and Kam in his game. But Earl has his own impact on the game. He starts catching more of those interceptions and the hype is going to grow for him. Little fellow doesn't shy from trying to lay the lumber.

But for now, I still ride with 45.

OP
OP
misfit

misfit

Reaction score
Basis4day":3h6f9by3 said:
misfit":3h6f9by3 said:
There were quite a few people calling in and talking about Earl being a priority, buy the guys on the radio seemed to be talking crazy. They said that obviously Sherman would be a priority eventually, but were talking about how both safeties, Earl included, would be easier to replace in the draft, and that Seattle could move forward if they needed too without taking too much of a hit. Then Tom Wasl(sp?) went on to say that he thought Earl had a off year and wasn't that good this year.

I'll need to re-listen because that doesn't sound at all what they normally say about ET. Keep in mind that that crew is pretty jet lagged from flying back from Ireland.

It was less Brock and more Eagan and Wasl especially. Brock's stance is that they will take the stance with Kam's agent that while Kam is good, the market isn't huge for a safety like him, and he is the most replaceable. Then Wasl started to ask if it seemed like he wasn't as good this year. Then Brock talked about how he got better at the end of the season and really came on.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Well maybe I, like totally, think the degree of how underrated he is, like totally, overrated. Like totally.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
misfit":10edvosr said:
So I was listening to Brock and whatever show today, and they were talking about what a lot of us on here have been talking about, about who we need to extend as Schneider was talking about with Clayton on Saturday. The main point of the discussion was of the young stars on this team, who should be the top priority to resign (Okung, Kam, Earl, Tate). Sherman and Russell were excluded since the Hawks can't even negotiate with them due to the new CBA.

I think Earl gets underrated, probably more by the casual fan then on here, but Earl makes this whole defense go. I know he doesn't have the huge int #'s that people look at first, and that didn't really start clicking until the playoffs. Without earl, you can't bring Kam down in the box and play as much 1 single high safety as you do. And as good as Browner is, I don't think you can get away with having a corner at his speed without someone like Earl to cover things on the back end.

Am I alone here?

Not at all i think he's our Ed Reed or Troy P and none of their teams would be the same without them. If anything i think Kam could be replaced but definitely not Earl. I think Sherm and Earl are the corner stones of the secondary.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":duic4qu9 said:
misfit":duic4qu9 said:
So I was listening to Brock and whatever show today, and they were talking about what a lot of us on here have been talking about, about who we need to extend as Schneider was talking about with Clayton on Saturday. The main point of the discussion was of the young stars on this team, who should be the top priority to resign (Okung, Kam, Earl, Tate). Sherman and Russell were excluded since the Hawks can't even negotiate with them due to the new CBA.

I think Earl gets underrated, probably more by the casual fan then on here, but Earl makes this whole defense go. I know he doesn't have the huge int #'s that people look at first, and that didn't really start clicking until the playoffs. Without earl, you can't bring Kam down in the box and play as much 1 single high safety as you do. And as good as Browner is, I don't think you can get away with having a corner at his speed without someone like Earl to cover things on the back end.

Am I alone here?

Not at all i think he's our Ed Reed or Troy P and none of their teams would be the same without them. If anything i think Kam could be replaced but definitely not Earl. I think Sherm and Earl are the corner stones of the secondary.
Wilson, Earl, and Okung are the three most valuable players on this team IMO.

We MUST keep Earl as he is a linchpin for our entire defensive philosophy. Next is Sherman, he is truly a shutdown corner and a game changer. I think Kam is more important than Browner as far as LoB is concerned but I think Browner being an older guy will not get a big payday and could be kept for cheap. If I had to chose between Earl an Sherm to keep both Kam and BB I'd let both Kam and BB go and keep both Thomas and Sherman.

Would you let either Earl or Sherm go just to keep Kam and BB? BTW i think they will do what it takes to keep them all together, I just worry we don't (and shouldn't) value Kam like he, his agent, and the market probably will.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not going into Earl's virtues, as they've been stated already. I just hope extending him won't break the bank. He had a pretty decent rookie contract, I hope he accepts something similar with a pay raise that isn't extravagant.

The FO was REALLY high on Winston Guy after TC last year. He really impressed coaches and raised some eyebrows. While he's not a physical as Kam, he's reputedly better in coverage already. He's also a pretty decent sized safety, and if I remember right, he was a pretty physical run defender in college. Kam missed a few assignments last year, and doesn't have the speed to erase his mistakes. You don't HAVE to be fast to play safety in the NFL, but you better not make many mistakes, as speed helps mask those mistakes.

I don't know what Kam will think he's worth, but I don't see him as a fit in a lot of other defenses currently. The big problem is that there are teams out there trying to replicate our defense, and it's likely someone will over pay for Kam if he hits FA.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Earl is crazy young, like 23 still and has 3 fricking years experience in the league.

I watch him every home game, he backpeddles as good as any corner and can turn and burn to any given spot as part of the play from just about anywhere he is.

Just watch him live. You will see him covering ground like a MLB All-Pro Center fielder and he is involved with EVERYTHING. There is no play that he isn't chasing and getting a shot. Now, this is something you can watch with the entire defense. I do not know about the road, but at home, those guys are whistle to whistle, but Thomas just covers more ground. Browner is VERY active if you watch him and like Thomas, is a tackler. It is something to see for sure, because I watched the Niners, Rams, Cards, Pats, Jets and Cowboys just give up and it cost them.

CANHawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2cslfhhx said:
Earl is crazy young, like 23 still and has 3 fricking years experience in the league.

I watch him every home game, he backpeddles as good as any corner and can turn and burn to any given spot as part of the play from just about anywhere he is.

Just watch him live. You will see him covering ground like a MLB All-Pro Center fielder and he is involved with EVERYTHING. There is no play that he isn't chasing and getting a shot. Now, this is something you can watch with the entire defense. I do not know about the road, but at home, those guys are whistle to whistle, but Thomas just covers more ground. Browner is VERY active if you watch him and like Thomas, is a tackler. It is something to see for sure, because I watched the Niners, Rams, Cards, Pats, Jets and Cowboys just give up and it cost them.

Watching the secondary do what they do is one of my favorite parts of watching a game live. The TV coverage these days is absolutely amazing, but they zoom in tight to the ball way too much. There's so much other stuff going on that you don't see with the typical TV camera angles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. I don't think he's underrated, that's why he went to the Pro Bowl. Pro Bowl = league wide recognition
2. If he is underrated, let's keep him a secret so we can resign him for less.

Basis4day

Reaction score
misfit":3qsgev52 said:
Basis4day":3qsgev52 said:
misfit":3qsgev52 said:

It was less Brock and more Eagan and Wasl especially. Brock's stance is that they will take the stance with Kam's agent that while Kam is good, the market isn't huge for a safety like him, and he is the most replaceable. Then Wasl started to ask if it seemed like he wasn't as good this year. Then Brock talked about how he got better at the end of the season and really came on.

Ok, had a chance to listen. The discussion was related to Schneider's comments to John Clayton this past Saturday regarding looking to extend some unnamed current players on the roster (Interview Link: http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... ton%20Show).

Wasl's points were about Thomas being more absent during the middle of the season, but didn't want to rely on the stat sheet alone regarding Thomas' value. I got the impression that he was thinking out loud, rather than believing his points as facts.

Brock and Wasl both agreed that Thomas came on strong at the end of the season. Wasl wasn't disputing that Thomas is one of the best players on the team. He is. His point was is he so irreplaceable that you pay him whatever he wants at the cost of retaining other players which, as a whole, make your team better. It's a very real discussion.

For those interested, here is the podcast: http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... ck%20Huard

Discussion starts about 11 mins in.

ensett

Reaction score
the ONLY downside to Earl is that his hands are pretty bad. He drops more ints than he catches. But when thats your biggest problem as a DB, youre in good shape.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ensett":3ojjgnlv said:
the ONLY downside to Earl is that his hands are pretty bad. He drops more ints than he catches. But when thats your biggest problem as a DB, youre in good shape.

IMO Earle doesn't have a downside. Most of Earle's drops were balls that no other safety could even get to, and he more than made up for it with his amazing interceptions in the Buffalo and Redskin games.