Any chance Wilson has a sophomore slump?

HawkHack

Reaction score
IMO, sophomore slump is due to two factors: (1) "I got this, I get it, I can do this" + (2) The bar is raised. (I speak from experience, in college.)

RW can't avoid #2 -- the bar IS raised, and defenses will have tape, and so on. But I don't think he'll fall prey to #1.

themunn

Reaction score
jewhawk":1i7loehs said:
The whole idea of a sophomore slump is overblown and based on a players' performance compared to the perceived expectation of what he should do. A rookie is expected to play at a C level but actually plays at a B level, generating a ton of hype about how great he was. Then everyone assumes he will progress and play at an A level in his second year, but instead he plays at a B+ level so he is considered a disappointment despite being better than he was as a rookie.

Consider these two QBs:

Player A: 6.24 ANY/A, 7.8 Y/A, 0.16 EPA/P, 84.5 Rating, 3.3 INT%, 404 DYAR, 0.8% DVOA; 706 rush yards, 5.6 rush Y/A
Player B: 6.65 ANY/A, 8.0 Y/A, 0.21 EPA/P, 86.2 Rating, 2.5 INT%, 422 DYAR, 2.0% DVOA; 741 rush yards, 5.8 rush Y/A

Player A is rookie Cam Newton; Player B is second year Cam Newton. He is the most recent poster child of sophomore slumps despite being better in his second year than in his rookie year.

It's possible that Wilson will be worse in his second year than he was as a rookie, but it's unlikely. Most players are better in their second years than they were as rookies.

Cam is a bad example.

Player A: 134-235; 57.0%; 1902 yards; 6 TDs; 8 INTs; 77.7 QB rating; 347 rushing yards; 4 rushing TDs; 8 fumbles (3 lost)
Player B: 146-250; 58.4%; 1967 yards; 13 TDs; 4 INTs; 94.2 QB rating; 394 rushing yards; 4 rushing TDs; 2 fumbles (0 lost)

That's Cam Newton for the first 8 and last 8 games last year.
Newton was going through a very real sophomore slump last year, and although I've split it into two even 8 game sections, really it only lasted 9 games before he realised he had to keep working at it and hadn't "made it" already.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Well, yeah, if you go by his statistics. After all, he's only going to be playing the first half of every game next year because we've seen how much NFL teams complain when those nasty mean old Seahawks "run up" the score.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Of course there's a chance, but I think it's heavily diminished with Russ. We saw him progress and learn, he didn't have flukey games or "by the butt-hair wins" like another certain rookie QB did all year...He is grounded in the "why" he was successful and has the proper support around him to continue his method. He knows why he was successful and he doesn't just expect to win because he did his rookie year - he expects to train and prepare properly in order to earn the wins.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have little concern of the "tape" on Wilson. The guy adjusts his style in the middle of a drive a variety of ways. Other teams might be able to keep his passing numbers down at times, but at the expense of other options.

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
I think Russell Wilson has the least chance of a sophomore slump than any other player in nfl history. His work ethic, self confidence and drive is unparalleled, this is especially true considering the sophomore slump is most noticeable with QBs WRs and DBs.

rastahawk

Reaction score
O ye of little faith. Blinded by your own underachieving and low expectations. By Russell Wilson's standards last year was average at best i.e. learning the game at the NFL level. On his scale you can't slump from average. This year is when we start to see the magic unfold... Behold for unto you a champion is in the making. Damn I just sounded like Moses right there.