Robert Woods is the most underrated player in the 2013 draft

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Discuss...
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Criminally under rated. Ready for the pro game day 1.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• It's funny how draft stock is so arbitrary, one season ago Jarvis Jones, Matt Barkley, and Robert Woods might of been 1/2/3 in the draft and now if Seattle stayed in the first round at 25, they would have a decent chance of drafting any of them. All might fall into the 2nd round still, probably why the bust/boom phenomena exists. Kind of like college, sometimes guys are labeled 1 star recruits and thrive to top flight draft pick and others that are 5 star guys wash out completely.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• Woods has become the forgotten man of the 2013 draft. Whoever gets him will be very lucky.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Not sure about being the most, but I agree he deserves more attention than he's getting. I guess that's what happens in a deep WR class.

OT thought, but there's going to be some great players out of this group. It's almost too bad we don't have much need for WR anymore and won't draft one in round 1-2 (most likely). There were a few I really liked.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I can't think of another player that has been so tragically ignored as this.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• I would love it if Woods ended up with the Hawks. I still want a WR to be drafted, maybe even 2.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like the stuff I heard about Brian Robiske. Woods was the man though until USC decided to force feed Maquis Lee last year. Can't say I blame them too much though I guess
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• He seems like one of those guys people know is great, but he just doesn't draw much discussion. I've still seen him mocked a lot as an early-2nd round pick, some have him later 2nd, some have him late-1st, so people do like him. It's just a deep WR draft. Any other year he's getting more hype.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Who would be the most over-rated or over-hyped guy you think. I keep coming back to Tyrann Mathieu, every day someone says we need to draft this guy but the character concerns aside, is he really that much of a NFL prospect to begin with?
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• I'd love it if we drafted Woods.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Honestly, I haven't even broke him down yet. Once I heard the story about his wanting to leave USC because of a decrease in targets, that made me wary about how he'd fit in an offense where he might get 3-5 targets a game. Course, maybe he just wanted out because the lack of targets was hurting his draft stock? Either way, I want unselfish receivers and tight ends, and I'm pretty sure that's a high priority for Pete as well.

FWIW, I wouldn't rule out Woods being a Seahawk. He ran a 4.51 and has moves after the catch. Obviously, Pete Carroll would be familiar with him.

My most underrated player threw the passes Robert Woods caught.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Before Marquise Lee came along I remember Woods being talked about as a future top 5 pick.

I don't mind him complaining about touches because I don't think it was really a normal situation down there at USC. This is just conjecture on my part but it seemed to me like after they lost a game or two and the championship was out of the question that Kiffin was basically playing to win Lee the Heisman. Seems like the play calling and Barkley's decisions were at times to pad stats for Lee to the detriment of the rest of the offense.

I'd be pretty happy wtih Woods.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• kearly wrote:Honestly, I haven't even broke him down yet. Once I heard the story about his wanting to leave USC because of a decrease in targets, that made me wary about how he'd fit in an offense where he might get 3-5 targets a game. Course, maybe he just wanted out because the lack of targets was hurting his draft stock? Either way, I want unselfish receivers and tight ends, and I'm pretty sure that's a high priority for Pete as well.

FWIW, I wouldn't rule out Woods being a Seahawk. He ran a 4.51 and has moves after the catch. Obviously, Pete Carroll would be familiar with him.

My most underrated player threw the passes Robert Woods caught.

You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip. If it was a situation like J said it might be, with the USC offense force feeding The ball to Lee at detriment to the team, I thi k he was right to point out his lack of targets as a reason for leaving early. Parts of me think J is right on this.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• For what it's worth, that quote was taken out of context and Robert tweeted the guy afterwards saying something like, "you know that's not what I meant but thanks for making me seem like an ass."
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Recon_Hawk wrote:You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip.

I was being harsh? I have nothing against Woods. I was just wondering if Pete might for reasons stated.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I don't think he fits the #1 WR role similar to DeAndre Hopkins and Marcus Wheaton. Guys like Patterson, Allen, Hunter, and Austin will be drafted ahead of him because of their upside. He is not talked about at all though and if we did draft him I could see him as a decent upgrade over Golden Tate. He is much more polished route runner and has better size. He has made big catches in big games and looks to be pro ready just limited to being a very good #2 WR in the league if he perfects his craft.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:You might be a bit too harsh on Woods, kip.

I was being harsh? I have nothing against Woods. I was just wondering if Pete might for reasons stated.

It just seems you don't like him much based on a couple of things he said that may have been taken out if context or overblown. Not worth avoiding his tape over.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Wenhawk wrote:I don't think he fits the #1 WR role similar to DeAndre Hopkins and Marcus Wheaton. Guys like Patterson, Allen, Hunter, and Austin will be drafted ahead of him because of their upside. He is not talked about at all though and if we did draft him I could see him as a decent upgrade over Golden Tate. He is much more polished route runner and has better size. He has made big catches in big games and looks to be pro ready just limited to being a very good #2 WR in the league if he perfects his craft.

One of my best friends is a die hard USC Fan (he's as much of a die hard USC fan ... as we are die hard Seahawk fans). Anyway, I had this conversation several months back regarding his assessment of Robert Woods and honestly, he was fairly underwhelmed by him. Well, that may not be completely fair. Let me just say that he didn't exactly gush over him -- that he considered Robert Woods an OK receiver. These were about the exact same terms he described them to me -- good size, decent speed, pretty polished, and can make the difficult (or clutch) catch at times. He wasn't willing to anoint him a #1 WR either -- more of a #2 (which isn't necessarily bad). Teams need the Alvin Harpers of the world just as well.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Pete recruited Woods. Robert is a fierce competitor and hard worker. He is good friends with Marqise Lee and they liked to compete with one another all the time. They were rivals and yet they weren't.

Yes, I think Robert was frustrated at times last season. So were USC fans. There were definitely times when Kiff and/or Matt forced the ball to Marqise in spite of Robert being open. Robert's comment wasn't a complaint as much as a statement of fact that he had done as much as he could at USC--basically saying he knew and understood that Lane wasn't going to force HIM the ball just to keep him from leaving. He also said good stuff about Kiffin that that reporter totally omitted.
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I would want to leave USC to with that douche Kiffen doing his best to destroy the USC football program.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

• Drafting Woods would give everyone wood.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• kearly wrote:

Talent and fit outweigh the off-the-field stuff. Pete has brought in the likes of Lendale White and Mike Williams, traded for Marshawn Lynch, drafted Bruce Irvin (who had big off-the-field question marks that impacted his draft stock), brought in Terrell Owens, Antonio Bryant and Braylon Edwards (all with question marks), and just traded for and gave $67 million to Percy Harvin who has been described as a malcontent.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• My uneducated guess is because people know what Woods brings to the table, and that's not particularly attractive pre-draft because you want to believe your team is going to find the next Randy Moss.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Who would people compare Woods to? Could he be a Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, michael crabtree, stevie johnson, etc???

I would take any of those guys in the late second.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

• Agreed. He convinced me at the combine. He looked so natural and better than anyone else. He's ready to step in and be a 1,000 yard guy, immediately.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• How much is he an upgrade over Golden Tate? Golden was raw coming out of college but after being in the league for a couple of years; if we were to compare Robert Woods with Golden Tate now then how big is the difference between these two?
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• SeahawksFanForever wrote:How much is he an upgrade over Golden Tate? Golden was raw coming out of college but after being in the league for a couple of years; if we were to compare Robert Woods with Golden Tate now then how big is the difference between these two?

Totally different styles, so you can't really compare. I'd say, however, that Robert is much more likely to step in and produce as a rookie. He runs routes really well, has good hands and decent speed and he's known for being a very hard worker. He may not have the ceiling Golden does, though time will tell there. But USC has used him all over the field as a WR. Golden has more of that RB/WR hybrid feeling because he converted to WR in college.
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• polarbill1999 wrote:Who would people compare Woods to? Could he be a Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, michael crabtree, stevie johnson, etc???

I think Reggie Wayne is a pretty good comparison.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Recon_Hawk wrote:
    kearly wrote:

It just seems you don't like him much based on a couple of things he said that may have been taken out if context or overblown. Not worth avoiding his tape over.

Well, when you are trying to cover 100-200 viable players, you look for ways to save time. Besides, name one time I said anything negative about Woods as a prospect. I think he's great, but I also think Titus Young is great, and I always knew that Seattle would never call him when he hit the market. I do not think Woods is the kind of headache that Young is, but I do think Pete is sensitive on the "unselfish" aspect to a WR, and he might make a big deal out of a small detail like that. Pete knows Woods better than anyone else in the NFL. Obviously, if we draft him, it's not an issue. I'm just wondering if it might be.

So far I've spent most of my time reviewing defense. Up until free agency, I probably broke down 30 pass rushers alone. Which has proven to be a waste of time, unfortunately. I've looked into about 15 WRs so far. Woods was on the list, he was just on the back burner because I had a hunch Pete might stay away.
    Last edited by kearly on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• FlyingGreg wrote:Talent and fit outweigh the off-the-field stuff. Pete has brought in the likes of Lendale White and Mike Williams, traded for Marshawn Lynch, drafted Bruce Irvin (who had big off-the-field question marks that impacted his draft stock), brought in Terrell Owens, Antonio Bryant and Braylon Edwards (all with question marks), and just traded for and gave $67 million to Percy Harvin who has been described as a malcontent.

Woods doesn't have character concerns. But there are good reasons to think he might be unhappy if he's seeing just a couple targets a game. I don't buy that his leaving early had nothing to do with Lee. I think it's pretty clear it did. Maybe he doesn't care and just wanted to protect his draft stock? If that's the case then I don't see any problem- he was just making a good business decision. I guess we'll see. Can't say I blame him. But if the departure was over frustration from a reduced role, then I think Pete will see that as a mark against him. Personally, I don't care this kind of stuff, I just suspect that Pete does, since his current offense just finished a season that had them 32nd in pass attempts and spreads the football to a gajillion targets. Selfish types would hate it here. So I think there could potentially be some wariness from Carroll based on how Woods reacted to last season. I'm not saying I agree with him, but I think that's a possibility for how he views Woods.
    Last edited by kearly on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• JSeahawks wrote:I think Reggie Wayne is a pretty good comparison.

The guy I'm reminded of is Bobby Engram. Stedman Bailey too. Engram was a late 2nd round pick. Bailey and Woods probably will go in that area too.

Totally unrelated random fact: Stevie Johnson ran a 4.59. Wes Welker ran a 4.7 IIRC. It's really amazing how 40 times can be meaningless if a player has elite quickness.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    polarbill1999 wrote:Who would people compare Woods to? Could he be a Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, michael crabtree, stevie johnson, etc???

I think Reggie Wayne is a pretty good comparison.

Agreed on Wayne - GREAT comparison.

Also, kearly, Stevie requests that maybe he'd do fairly well w/Brady like Welker. Or, any QB, really.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Kip, based on everything I've ever heard or read about this kid, I'd be shocked if he had a selfish attitude. Does that mean he was thrilled to see his role reduced? Nope. And no one that talented should be. But I've heard nothing to indicate he's the type of potential 'problem child, diva' WR you're thinking he might be. He was one of the hardest-working guys on the team. He and Marqise both commented on how they had a fun competition to try to one-up each other because they're competitive and it made each of them better players.

Pretty much everyone in the USC forums I frequent commented last season about how Marqise was getting force fed the ball. Some blamed Matt. Some Kiff. And it was pretty hard to argue with the results overall. But we couldn't help wondering if it was hurting the team at times, especially when we'd see plays where Robert was wide open and totally ignored.

Did Marqise affect Robert's decision?Probably--for a number of reasons. But I don't think he's going to make a stink about the number of targets he's getting. After all, this is a kid who repeatedly told everyone that George Farmer (who also went to Serra HS along with Robert and Marqise) was even better than he. Unfortunately for George he's struggled with injuries so far in his USC career.
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• To pile on what sc85sis said, Woods reminds me of Harvin, somewhat. I think Percy got a diva label because he was in a bad situation, with a poor QB, and he knew the Vikings wont ever have a real shot; i.e. he just wants to win. Woods sounds like a kid that winning is the most important thing.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Chances of him dropping to us are greater in light of injury news:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 2h
    NFL scout tell me USC Robert Woods may need to sit out a year due to an ankle injury. "Could play now, but better to wait until 100%."
    "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to hard work"
    CHawks4L
    NET Rookie

• CHawks4L wrote:Chances of him dropping to us are greater in light of injury news:

NFL scout tell me USC Robert Woods may need to sit out a year due to an ankle injury. "Could play now, but better to wait until 100%."

I don't buy that for a second. That is on par with the Dan Marino is a coke head, please please let him fall to us rumor.

Since when do ankles take a year to heal?
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Matt Miller is a "wanna be draft analyst". He works for Bleacher Report and I do not trust his sources at all. Trust me, he is a joke. I follow him on twitter because it's funny.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• Agreed. Too bad we don't have room for him if the roster at it's current form stays true.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Scottemojo wrote:
    CHawks4L wrote:Chances of him dropping to us are greater in light of injury news:

I don't buy that for a second. That is on par with the Dan Marino is a coke head, please please let him fall to us rumor.

Since when do ankles take a year to heal?

Since it's been bothering him for two years. He hurt it in a pickup basketball game two years ago and had surgery a year ago. I'd heard rumors he still wasn't healed, but no one knew for sure because of USC's policy of not commenting on injuries.
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I could see Minnesota using a first in him. But yeah, he's been swept under the media rug over the last 4 months.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Ankle injuries are a pain in the ass. I've broken the same ankle twice and they never heal properly. Hurt my other ankle with an impact injury and thought it was just a little sprained. I couldn't walk properly for months and didn't play sport again for a year. No broken bones, no ligament damage... but it messed up my knee joint and I couldn't walk on my ankle.

The thing is, in all of those instances I couldn't play wide receiver for USC and I couldn't run an unofficial 4.4 at the combine. So if Woods' ankle is bad enough that he has to essentially redshirt for a season, I'm not buying that. It's either injured or it's not. When I watched the Trojans last year I didn't see a guy playing on an ankle that needed a year off. Whatever he's done will probably never be 100% but he can also manage the situation and never have any issues.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• He played nearly all of 2011 with a bum ankle before having surgery last year. A lot of the time he was held out of part or all of the practices so he could play on Saturday, which makes it even more amazing that he had such a fantastic season that year.
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• What do you want to bet the Packers pick Woods if he is there in the first round. After watching his tape, it's obvious, he has Packers receiver written all over him.
    billio155
    NET Rookie

• billio155 wrote:What do you want to bet the Packers pick Woods if he is there in the first round. After watching his tape, it's obvious, he has Packers receiver written all over him.

That is a really good call, unless the playoff trouncing from Kaepernick makes them draft defense. But yeah, he just looks like a Packer.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information