Avril's contract - much flexibility

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Avril's contract - much flexibility
Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 am
  • Much lower cap hi this year than I anticipated.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/94594/cliff-avrils-contract-provides-flexibility

Avril will receive a $4.5 million signing bonus and $1.5 million base salary this season. He's scheduled to receive a $7 million salary in 2014, bringing the two-year total to $13 million.

The structure provides Seattle with flexibility after one season. The first-year charge against the salary cap is a modest $3.75 million.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Re: Avril's contract - much flexibility
Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 am
  • Nice to see this. That's $2 million less than what was widely speculated.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 am
  • So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 am
  • Sweet, so we still have the cap space to trade for Revis or Suh? CHAMPIONSHIP!
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:56 am
  • The Clemons 3 year deal from last year was really a 2 year deal that made Clemons likely to be cut after 2 years, and that article kind of backs that up.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.

I have more details in the Salary Thread pinned at the top of the forum, but I believet his puts us between $5.1 and $5.5 million in cap space right now. Plenty of wiggle room still

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.

I have more details in the Salary Thread pinned at the top of the forum, but I believet his puts us between $5.1 and $5.5 million in cap space right now. Plenty of wiggle room still

I really should have checked there. Thank you! :)
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.

After trading our first round pick for Harvin we will need less than $1.5 million in cap space to sign our draft picks. We have between $3M and $4M in cap space if all of the reports have been correct.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:10 am
  • Thats a very positive contract for us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 am
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:So right now, the Seahawks have something like 4.75M left under the cap. That would cover the draft picks they make.

After trading our first round pick for Harvin we will need less than $1.5 million in cap space to sign our draft picks. We have between $3M and $4M in cap space if all of the reports have been correct.

And the new picks just take the bottom spots on the roster, so most of their money is already accounted for anyways by players who won't make the squad.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 am
  • Sounds like enough to bring back Branch at bare minimum. Depth at LB and DB can be addressed through the draft. Seahawks are in great position right now.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 am
  • Once again...prroof that we should just trust the front office and let them worry about the numbers.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:06 pm
  • Wow, cap friendly. Gotta love it!
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 pm
  • Have you noticed that we don't really get bad news anymore? The FO of the hawks need a raise!
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Doesn't it seem like we're going to have serious cap issues next year with these new back-loaded contracts combined with attempts at keeping guys who will become free agents next year?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:Doesn't it seem like we're going to have serious cap issues next year with these new back-loaded contracts combined with attempts at keeping guys who will become free agents next year?

It says right in the article that Seattle can choose to cut either Avril or Clemons after 2013 and incur just over a $2 million hit against the cap for the cut player. Bennett's on a one year deal, so obviously that doesn't affect 2014 and beyond.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:08 pm
  • Spokane wrote:Have you noticed that we don't really get bad news anymore? The FO of the hawks need a raise!

Seriously. I'm going to name my first son PC/JS...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:10 pm
  • So much room for activities!
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:Doesn't it seem like we're going to have serious cap issues next year with these new back-loaded contracts combined with attempts at keeping guys who will become free agents next year?

It says right in the article that Seattle can choose to cut either Avril or Clemons after 2013 and incur just over a $2 million hit against the cap for the cut player. Bennett's on a one year deal, so obviously that doesn't affect 2014 and beyond.

My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 am
  • HawkWow wrote:My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

That sounds eerily similar to what was being said about Jones last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it happens. Enjoy the ride and see what it brings us

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:47 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

That sounds eerily similar to what was being said about Jones last year. I wouldn't worry too much about it until it happens. Enjoy the ride and see what it brings us

I agree, kid. And who's to say whether or not this was Bennett's idea? Maybe he didn't want to get locked in for the next 2-3 seasons on a deal he felt was too low.

It takes two sides to make a deal.

Plus, it gives us one more year to develop the young guys. Maybe one of them steps up, or maybe we get lucky in the draft. A lot of things can happen between now and Mar 2013.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 am
  • sutz wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:My only wish in all of this is that we would have signed Bennett to a longer deal. I understand the 1 year is a "prove it" type deal, but I think he will prove it and will be asking for a substantial raise 12 months from now (unless I'm missing something).

I agree, kid. And who's to say whether or not this was Bennett's idea? Maybe he didn't want to get locked in for the next 2-3 seasons on a deal he felt was too low.

It takes two sides to make a deal.

Plus, it gives us one more year to develop the young guys. Maybe one of them steps up, or maybe we get lucky in the draft. A lot of things can happen between now and Mar 2013.

Well I'll just assume you meant march of 2014 :lol:

I have no problem with these one year deals, they can really work well for us as a team. Players on a one year deal have something to prove, so you know they will be giving it everything they have. You are going to get the best out of them guaranteed. It also gives the player a chance to earn a better, longer deal. If he plays THAT great, we still have the first rights to be able to talk to him and get an extension done, and if he doesn't work out, or we find a better alternative for the price, we let them walk. It's really a win/win

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm
  • Well I'll just assume you meant march of 2014

Oops. :oops:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information