Doug Baldwin to be traded? (Colts, speculation)

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3p6a136q said:
Why do people always want to weakin a position that we finally have bolstered up?

Same goes for the qb position.

I suspect it is because they are used to the Seahawks being this good. I agree Baldwin is a stud ( remember the 1st AZ game and his teeth greeting knocked out ) and to have all this talent going to waste if Wilson goes down ? Makes no sense to me either , unless it is a killer offer

themunn

Reaction score
DJrmb":2pxzxrk0 said:
You're the one wanting to hang onto yet another midget WR that we already have similar players to. If I am Ruskell then you are Mora...

You could possibly have to let go another "Michael Bennett" type guy for your "depth". You act like Baldwin went to a probowl or something. He's not even as good as the inconsistent Tate, what does that say?

Obo offered something on special teams. He was one of our best ST players. Baldwin is not.

Surely of all the teams in the league to be a fan of, as a Seahawk fan you should know that HEIGHT DOES NOT DEFINE YOUR SKILLSET.

Baldwin makes plays. That's what matters

DJrmb

Reaction score
Man, I like Baldwin I really do but you guys are making me be the bad guy...

Baldwin is not as good as some of you think. I swear some of you would put him in the RoH tomorrow if you could lol.

I'd rather keep Kearse, Bates, and maybe even Stephen Williams over Baldwin (if I could trade him for a mid round pick, like I said, I wouldn't cut Baldwin).

Also I will again reiterate that if Baldwin is anywhere near as good as you all think then why wouldn't he walk? If he doesn't and he has starting talent he's a chump. I know we're all Seahawks fans and I'm sure we would all say we'd stay a Seahawk as a backup but Baldwin doesn't have "fan loyalty" like that to Seattle and his agent definitely doesn't. He needs to, and will look out for his own best interest, which means going to a team to be a starter.

So you might as well get something for the guy if he's going to be gone. Of course assuming he'll be gone is just that "an assumption" but so is assuming he'll stay to be a backup...

Veilside

Reaction score
DJrmb":2f9r27yl said:
I'd rather keep Kearse, Bates, and maybe even Stephen Williams over Baldwin.

What?

I could maybe see Williams considering we just don't know what we have with him yet and Fitzgerald spoke highly of him....but Kearse and Bates.....?!

If Harvin goes down then we need Baldwin for that slot position. Nothing wrong with having a good 4th WR to throw in the mix. A backup QB hopefully never sees the field, a 4th WR will usually see the field plenty.

themunn

Reaction score
DJrmb":299zkch4 said:
Man, I like Baldwin I really do but you guys are making me be the bad guy...

Baldwin is not as good as some of you think. I swear some of you would put him in the RoH tomorrow if you could lol.

I'd rather keep Kearse, Bates, and maybe even Stephen Williams over Baldwin (if I could trade him for a mid round pick, like I said, I wouldn't cut Baldwin).

Also I will again reiterate that if Baldwin is anywhere near as good as you all think then why wouldn't he walk? If he doesn't and he has starting talent he's a chump. I know we're all Seahawks fans and I'm sure we would all say we'd stay a Seahawk as a backup but Baldwin doesn't have "fan loyalty" like that to Seattle and his agent definitely doesn't. He needs to, and will look out for his own best interest, which means going to a team to be a starter.

So you might as well get something for the guy if he's going to be gone. Of course assuming he'll be gone is just that "an assumption" but so is assuming he'll stay to be a backup...

"Backup" at WR isn't the same as "Backup" at just about any other position in the game.
Reasons he might prefer to stay at Seattle -
His close friend from Stanford Richard Sherman
The other 31 teams in the league overlooked him, Seattle made him feel most wanted when he went undrafted
He thinks Seattle offers him the best opportunity to win a Superbowl Ring
He believes he can be the number 1 receiver in Seattle

That last point is the most important and completely true. And not outwith the realms of possibility. In fact, I'd be surprised if there's a single player on the roster that doesn't think they're capable of being the number 1 guy on the depth chart. It's what Pete Carroll's entire philosophy is based on.

Baldwin clearly isn't as bad as you think. Even last year he had 29 receptions, which is only 16 less than Golden Tate managed, despite numerous injuries and less playing time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6rLwb78og

Plus he averages a TD a game against the 49ers (4 in 4). I'd keep anyone on the roster for that alone.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If Harvin goes down Tate can slide into that position better than anyone. How long have people been saying he's the poor mans Percy Harvin? Then you play an Outside WR in Tate's old spot not a slot guy. Thats why Kearse and Williams are guys I'd keep, they're both more of your Outside WR than Baldwin.

People seem to be low on Kearse here but he's shown some flashes and is one of the few guys that could play Sidney's role in a pinch.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Plus he averages a TD a game against the 49ers (4 in 4). I'd keep anyone on the roster for that alone.
Haha, that is awesome! Thats a definite plus to his resume! :thirishdrinkers:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
DJrmb":2yatlyjr said:
If Harvin goes down Tate can slide into that position better than anyone. How long have people been saying he's the poor mans Percy Harvin? Then you play an Outside WR in Tate's old spot not a slot guy. Thats why Kearse and Williams are guys I'd keep, they're both more of your Outside WR than Baldwin.

People seem to be low on Kearse here but he's shown some flashes and is one of the few guys that could play Sidney's role in a pinch.

Or you can just put Baldwin in the slot where he's effective rather than being forced to play a scrub on the outside.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Happypuppy":nrw64nf0 said:
Tech Worlds":nrw64nf0 said:
Why do people always want to weakin a position that we finally have bolstered up?

I suspect it is because they are used to the Seahawks being this good. I agree Baldwin is a stud ( remember the 1st AZ game and his teeth greeting knocked out ) and to have all this talent going to waste if Wilson goes down ? Makes no sense to me either , unless it is a killer offer
I think where the disconnect is is that many of us believe that the talent will go to waste if Wilson goes down even with Flynn. It's far from consensus that he's a good QB that could take us anywhere.

Now trading Doug doesn't make sense to me unless we have a guy just as good ready to take his place, because I think having 3 reliable WRs besides Percy to allow him to move all over the field is a big deal. I really wouldn't be content with Kearse taking that role or anything.

jewhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":g4srm3rw said:
Tate is entering his contract year. If he has a big year, he will want to get paid, and with the salary cap there isn't a prudent way to keep 3 high priced WRs so someone (Rice or Tate) would have to go. It would be easier to withstand the blow of losing one of them next year if we have Baldwin on a cheap RFA tender to step back into the starting lineup.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2h9x9opy said:

The answer is pretty simple---Change For Change Sake ---It's Something To Do In The Off Season.

CEHawk

Reaction score
Baldwin is a stud when he's healthy. We should see a healthy Baldwin this year and I can't see them trading a proven producer at his price.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Tate is entering his contract year. If he has a big year, he will want to get paid, and with the salary cap there isn't a prudent way to keep 3 high priced WRs so someone (Rice or Tate) would have to go. It would be easier to withstand the blow of losing one of them next year if we have Baldwin on a cheap RFA tender to step back into the starting lineup.
I don't think Baldwin could start at either of the split end positions. Slot? Sure! Baldwin at X or Z? No thanks... So that probably plays into why I'd lean towards trading him. Its just my opinion, but if I'm right then you'd still need another WR even if you have Baldwin...

Baldwin is a stud when he's healthy. We should see a healthy Baldwin this year and I can't see them trading a proven producer at his price.
I hope so, I hope he plays out of his mind if he's a Seahawk this year!

Now trading Doug doesn't make sense to me unless we have a guy just as good ready to take his place, because I think having 3 reliable WRs besides Percy to allow him to move all over the field is a big deal. I really wouldn't be content with Kearse taking that role or anything.
I can definitely see your side on this. Tate was never as good as Baldwin in the Slot we used to run. However what I am thinking is that Pete and John brought Harvin in here to be a feature part of the offense. They will surely design some of the offense around him. Doug and Harvin are very different players. If you stick Doug in there in the event of Percy going down you have to throw out half of your plays designed for Harvin. Where Tate is a better fit for how most of us believe they'll use Harvin out of the slot.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I don't know why some folks compare Baldwin to Kearse. Kearse is more of a split end or flanker type except without very good hands and not enough speed to consistently separate. Baldwin is far better at attacking downfield as a slot receiver than Kearse is in the X or Z. Anyway, they play different roles, and Kearse cannot step in as a reliable WR on the outside or the inside in case of injury, IMO.

I also don't see why some people are concerned about getting a big-bodied receiver. Golden Tate is a better X than a slot receiver because he can actually go up and get the ball despite being 5'10 or whatever. His vert is fantastic. If Stephen Williams can be developed into that guy in the future, fine, but right now, we need a guy who can move the chains and who can come in and be consistent in 4-WR sets. Baldwin is that guy.

Phil Bates, I have no opinion on. I really haven't seen the guy play enough even in the pre-season to have an informed opinion.

Baldwin is only tradeable if someone overpays because in this offense, he is REALLY important to us unless you think that Sidney Rice will definitely play 16+ games this year. If Rice goes down, Tate and Harvin on the outside and Baldwin in the slot is not too much of a step down. That's a better trio of WRs than some teams have already. Unless someone is offering a high-second or better, Baldwin means more to Seattle because he could bridge some gaps where injuries occur and help our team win it all.

tubbs51

Reaction score
I hope this doesnt happen. I bought a Baldwin jersey several months ago and i seriously wanna get him to sign it at some point. It'd be 10X more difficult to do that if he gets traded.

Guy's a work horse. See what he went through last year? Good god. the guy gets injured but he plays through it. Shatters teeth but no biggy, he'll practice the next day. Dude's hardcore. Now i'd like him to stay and i think he's a unsung leader of that offense.

I'd rather him stay. I think he's a bigger cog than most people think.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":hvb6ievg said:
Baldwin is only tradeable if someone overpays because in this offense, he is REALLY important to us unless you think that Sidney Rice will definitely play 16+ games this year. If Rice goes down, Tate and Harvin on the outside and Baldwin in the slot is not too much of a step down. That's a better trio of WRs than some teams have already. Unless someone is offering a high-second or better, Baldwin means more to Seattle because he could bridge some gaps where injuries occur and help our team win it all.

Now that is the best argument I have heard on this by far. I fully agree we don't have many X and Z WR's (though I really do like Kearse). A scenario with Rice going down for an extended amount of time would be much easier to weather if Baldwin stepped into the Slot and Harvin and Tate played X and Z as you put. Nice post bro!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm not advocating trading Baldwin, but some act like he's untradeable...

McGruff

Reaction score
DJrmb":16wid1sj said:

Tate is NOT a slot receiver. Doesn't have the skills for it. He's an outside guy only.

If Harvin went down, Tate would play outside and Baldwin would play slot.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":gualhlv1 said:
I'm not advocating trading Baldwin, but some act like he's untradeable...

Nah, I'd quite happily trade him for a mid-2nd round pick.
But a 4th?