Really good read

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Great, great article. Should be required reading for Seahawks fans.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Man, that was a great read. Especially that last paragraph.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Pretty cool take on the big picture PC&JS are putting their finishing touches on.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Very complex stuff there. Cool read tho. If teams are confused about this as I am then we're in good shape. Triple read option is going to give teams a problem..

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Not shockingly, Cossell more eloquently wrote up my thoughts when I posted this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66750

I am really excited to see how this scheme plays out. I think we're looking at the most dynamic team we've ever seen and like the article pontificates, the new measuring stick for the NFL schematically. This team is going to be a nightmare to gameplan for. And whichever scheme a team decides to gameplan for, we can just switch it up and keep them guessing. If throughout the offseason, we're able to implement several different 'packages' that can be switched to on the fly we will crush defenses with versatility.

How in the hell did we get so many playmakers in just a few short years? It boggles the mind.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
That is a good read! What happens when your shut down defense and top ranked ST gives your explosive offense good field position? A chance of setting the NFL record for points differential! The bar that 2007 16-0 Patriots set is pretty high though:

Scored 589 points (36.8/g), 1st of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 274 points (17.1/g), 4th.
Differential of 315 points (19.7/g), 1st.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I think this was my favorite part:

"Go back a year to the 2012 NFL draft. All we heard when Seattle selected Bruce Irvin with the 15th overall pick in the first round was, “what a reach.” Those same “experts” would then tell you in the next breath that rushing the quarterback is the most important defensive element in today’s NFL."

CANHawk

Reaction score
What an awesome article. I'm all tingly after reading that.

Remember those people who were claiming that Pete wasn't enough of a tactician for the NFL and that he was nothing bu a "RAH RAH" coach? LOL. Conveniently, neither do they...

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
CANHawk":177t1xu8 said:
What an awesome article. I'm all tingly after reading that.

Remember those people who were claiming that Pete wasn't enough of a tactician for the NFL and that he was nothing bu a "RAH RAH" coach? LOL. Conveniently, neither do they...

Yeah, or all of the Patriot fans (looking at you, Bill Simmons) ripping Pete for being a failure in the NFL. Like he's Al Groh or something--ridiculous!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Boy does that article open the door to some intracacies, to the ever evolving game.
I always thought I had a handle on how the basics were drawn up ( like a chess game), only now to find that PC has taken the game to a 3-D gridiron.
LOL, I guess we all have to give a big salute, and thank you to Chip Kelly for his contributions in forcing Pete to reshape his philosophical mindset, and changing his approach to how the game is morphing...AGAIN.
The old notion of some College Coaches struggles and failings in the NFL has been put to rest, eh?
PS. Good call Jester ;)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":3r59xsvg said:

GREAT point CAN! Screw 'em.

GO ZAGS!!

kearly

Reaction score
Greg Cosell may not know how to scout, but he knows football. Extremely smart read. I learned a lot from it.

Just a couple days ago, Pete talked about having more "space" for his receivers in 2013. Greg Cosell just explained why.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Some articles entertain me. Others enlighten me. This did both, great read!

Love what Pete is doing. I sometimes wonder about his clock management/ in game decisions, but I'm a fan.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Between this Cosell article, the post at Field Gulls by the Daily Norseman writer showing how many looks Harvin can help his offense give to a defense, and that other post at NFL.com about Harvin's versatility, I am totally on board with this Harvin trade (finally). I had my doubts, but the sheer amount of stuff Seattle can throw at a defense is going to help them put up insane numbers on offense. I hope we see another stretch like the Cards/Bills/Niners stretch at the end of last year where they put up 150+ points in three games.

gargantual

Reaction score
rjdriver":10vxdhar said:
Some articles entertain me. Others enlighten me. This did both, great read!

Love what Pete is doing. I sometimes wonder about his clock management/ in game decisions, but I'm a fan.
I've thought a lot during Pete's tenure here about his in-game coaching skills and was really concerned early on about him being out-coached (by Hairball in particular).

I remember his first year as coach reading people talking here on dotnet about how "Big Balls Pete" was sometimes too reckless, being used to dominating his opponents with all the high recruiting talent he could bring to bear coaching for USC, and how that wouldn't work in the NFL (too much parity, etc). Well maybe his team's talent level has caught up with Big Balls Pete and now that's what we have to look forward to in 2013 and for at least a few years until the rest of this copycat league starts emulating his team building and game planning strategies. Of course they can TRY to copy it, but without the caliber of JSs GMing skills, the deeeeep pockets of our Billionaire owner (no cap on paying coaches, etc), the ridiculous homefield advantage the 12th man brings....and on and on.....we really seem to have the perfect storm developing that it's hard to see duplicated very often elsewhere, if ever!

Just a thought....