Help needed....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Help needed....
Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:01 am
  • I woke up at 8am this morning, I decided an hour ago I am flying up to Fairbanks, Alaska tonight to shoot the Northern Lights....so my question is do those energy drink things work or should I just load up on coffee? I only have my backpack for space which will be full with clothes, laptop, camera and peacemaker, I arrive at 1130pm so the local quikee mart might be closed, I gotta stay up long enough to drive safely and catch my flight home which is 8am monday morning. I have never tried one of these things are they safe and do they work?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Re: Help needed....
Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm
  • For most people they're fine as long as not used to excess. I don't think they work that well, but then I am an ex meth junkie and probably just "spoiled" (clean over 6 years now). They do help me with long drives though. I don't mind the taste but they are quite tart and many people don't like it. If I were you I'd try one of the small "5 Hour Energy" deals, that way it's not much to choke down if the taste bothers you and it has all the same stuuff in it. It's lots smaller and you can carry some water instead of larger sweetened energy drink sodas.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:22 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:I woke up at 8am this morning, I decided an hour ago I am flying up to Fairbanks, Alaska tonight to shoot the Northern Lights....so my question is do those energy drink things work or should I just load up on coffee? I only have my backpack for space which will be full with clothes, laptop, camera and peacemaker, I arrive at 1130pm so the local quikee mart might be closed, I gotta stay up long enough to drive safely and catch my flight home which is 8am monday morning. I have never tried one of these things are they safe and do they work?

Aurora was out REALLY good Saturday night, even as far south as Anchorage. Hope you had just as much luck last night.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 am
  • 5-hour energy drinks work supremely well. You can combine them with a lot of caffeine, too; because the 5-hour things are basically just vitamins B12 and B6; they have no caffeine. They are slow to act, and slow to wear off, too; you're not going to notice some jolt of energy. I'd say 20-40 minutes after drinking it is when you'll either feel more awake and alert, unless you're really tired; then you're just not going to get tired like you normally would be, or more tired than you are. I love them, and average using one once per week.

Though, this is too late if you flew there yesterday, lol.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:I woke up at 8am this morning, I decided an hour ago I am flying up to Fairbanks, Alaska tonight to shoot the Northern Lights....so my question is do those energy drink things work or should I just load up on coffee? I only have my backpack for space which will be full with clothes, laptop, camera and peacemaker, I arrive at 1130pm so the local quikee mart might be closed, I gotta stay up long enough to drive safely and catch my flight home which is 8am monday morning. I have never tried one of these things are they safe and do they work?

Aurora was out REALLY good Saturday night, even as far south as Anchorage. Hope you had just as much luck last night.

I missed the big show by one night, but it was quite good last night, some people I met last night showed me their stuff and it was AMAZING. somebody made a cool time lapse video from the night of the 16th

and yeah 5 hour worked pretty good, can't wait to get home and see what I got.
    Cheers!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:5-hour energy drinks work supremely well. You can combine them with a lot of caffeine, too; because the 5-hour things are basically just vitamins B12 and B6; they have no caffeine. They are slow to act, and slow to wear off, too; you're not going to notice some jolt of energy. I'd say 20-40 minutes after drinking it is when you'll either feel more awake and alert, unless you're really tired; then you're just not going to get tired like you normally would be, or more tired than you are. I love them, and average using one once per week.

Though, this is too late if you flew there yesterday, lol.

You are incorrect. 5 hour energy, despite deceptive advertising that implies they don't contain caffeine, does in fact contain a fairly significant quantity of caffeine.

Note the inclusion of caffeine in the "energy blend".
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
  • Ah, interesting. I was wrong. However, I'm not sure I'd call that a "significant amount". Significant amount per fluid ounce of it, sure, but I've never seen anyone use more than one 5-hour energy in a day; but you see people drink a couple of 1-liter bottles of Mountain Dew, or three large lattes from Starbucks, etc.; either of which is WAY more than is in one 5-hour energy. However, I am not trying to deflect here, merely pointing out that the 5-hour energy bottles aren't something that people drink several of in a night, unlike other sources of caffeine.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:I woke up at 8am this morning, I decided an hour ago I am flying up to Fairbanks, Alaska tonight to shoot the Northern Lights....so my question is do those energy drink things work or should I just load up on coffee? I only have my backpack for space which will be full with clothes, laptop, camera and peacemaker, I arrive at 1130pm so the local quikee mart might be closed, I gotta stay up long enough to drive safely and catch my flight home which is 8am monday morning. I have never tried one of these things are they safe and do they work?

I missed the big show by one night, but it was quite good last night, some people I met last night showed me their stuff and it was AMAZING. somebody made a cool time lapse video from the night of the 16th

and yeah 5 hour worked pretty good, can't wait to get home and see what I got.
    Cheers!

Cool video.

It's supposed to be really active again later tonight. You probably already have seen this, but I'll post it just in case you hadn't, and for anyone else who is interested.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

The link is to a site that gives the aurora forecast and the current readings. Whenever it's clear and I have the time to spare to go outside and just watch, I always go to this site to see if it's worth my time.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information