Forgive me Largent, for I have sinned.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
When I was a kid I was a Seahawks fan but I also loved the Dolphins. Dan Marino was my favorite player and I had more dolphins gear than 'Hawks stuff.

In my defense, at least even as a kid I knew an amazing QB when I saw one and gravitated towards Marino. I just loved watching that dude play. I still see old highlights of him and shake my head. It wasn't because they were a 'popular' team, or had the cool 'raiders' silver and black, or the tradition of the cowboys/steelers so I don't have a lot of guilt about it; I saw him play and that's what got me hooked on football.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
There was no Seattle Seahawks when I was growing up.....their first season was the year after I graduated from high school. I was a Packers fan as a kid I suppose cuz they were the winning team whn I first started watching football in the mid-60s (plus I liked their grren and gold uniforms) and I was a Chargers fan because I fell in love with their uniforms the first time I ever saw themn on a color TV (see a trend here......and yes kids, when I was young B&W TVs were the norm). Lastly I liked the Raiders too cuz they were the team closest to Spokane where I grew up along with the Whiners but I strongly preferred the AFL outside of Green Bay.

Once the Seahawks came into existence, there was no other team for me though I still do root for SD if it has no negetive effect on the Hawks.

Never have liked the Cowpatties or the Stealers and never will.

GO ZAGS!!

dbmack

Reaction score
I have been a football fan all my life thanks to my dad. Seattle didn't have a team so I rooted for teams such as the Los Angeles Rams in the Roman Gabriel days and the Redskins in the Larry Brown days (there were others over the years too) but I was never a wear-their-gear-type fan. I became a die-hard Seahawks fan the day they joined the league.

I have always hated the 49ers for several reasons, the main one being the grief I took from the Sonic fans in my family for being a Trailblazer season ticket holder. I live in WA, but live closer to Portland than I do Seattle. For some reason they thought I should root for the "home state" in basketball but it was ok that they were die-hard 49er fans living in WA. In 1996 I married my husband who is a 49er fan since he is from San Jose and lived there during their glory years. He is one of those rare 49er fans (if there even are any others) who is also a Seahawk fan. I still hate the 49ers, but I keep it more to myself since he also roots for the 'Hawks. When they play each other he does root for the 49ers but he doesn't care if the 'Hawks win either. He said he used to be one of those annoying fans when he was younger though. He outgrew it though.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Because my parents came from Minnesota, I had a plastic Vikings helmet as a kid. In my room, I would toss a football in the air, make diving catches on the bed, and crash headfirst into the wall. Repeatedly. I felt invincible in that helmet. I had never heard of concussions. Turns out my parents had. I am now embroiled in a complicated class action suit against my parents.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2it10hvj said:
Because my parents came from Minnesota, I had a plastic Vikings helmet as a kid. In my room, I would toss a football in the air, make diving catches on the bed, and crash headfirst into the wall. Repeatedly. I felt invincible in that helmet. I had never heard of concussions. Turns out my parents had. I am now embroiled in a complicated class action suit against my parents.
I see an easy win for you in this. By giving you a helmet they gave you tacit permission to go head first into anything hard. Since they already knew the dangers of concussions, they put you at risk once they purchased the helmet for you/allowed you to purchase the helmet. Congrats on your forthcoming windfall. :th2thumbs:

GO ZAGS!!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2th2quly said:
When I was a kid I was a Seahawks fan but I also loved the Dolphins. Dan Marino was my favorite player and I had more dolphins gear than 'Hawks stuff.

In my defense, at least even as a kid I knew an amazing QB when I saw one and gravitated towards Marino. I just loved watching that dude play. I still see old highlights of him and shake my head. It wasn't because they were a 'popular' team, or had the cool 'raiders' silver and black, or the tradition of the cowboys/steelers so I don't have a lot of guilt about it; I saw him play and that's what got me hooked on football.

Same for me, Except replace Dan Marino with Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas. THose Bills teams of the early 90's were like watching real life Tecmo Bowl.

I tried to stay somewhat loyal to the Bills after the glory years as I didn't want to be labeled "bandwagon", but after all the debacles in their quest to try to find another legit starting QB I had to give up being a supporter. I sort of had a minor resurgence in my "Bills fandom" during the Bledsoe years and fell in love with Marshawn the first time I saw him play in the pros but in hindsight, I think they lost me forever after they decided to can Doug Flutie to go with Rob Johnson despite the fact they were winning with Doug. I still keep an eye on them occasionally, mainly because the colours give me a warm fuzzy feeling, but the magic's gone.

After all those years of crappy football, I couldn't see how 3,000 miles and 3 timezones was worth cheering for the Bills. Being a Hawks fan makes so much more sense logistically. :)

Riley12

Reaction score
A lot of Seahawks fans were fans of other teams before 1976, there was no other choice.

My dad was a Raiders fan and I, a kid fascinated by the ocean, was a Dolphins fan. I had a hat, a garbage can
and a shirt.

The summer of '76, though, my life flip-flopped in lots of ways, including the team I cheered for each Sunday.

Spokane

Reaction score
Seahawk stuff littered my room growing up, so why I was given a Miami helmet and an Eagles jacket I will never know. I am happy to say that I never wanted any other teams gear nor asked for it. Hawks are my team.

SussexSeahawk

Reaction score
Regrettably I had one of those satiny LA Rams starter jackets around the time when Dickerson was playing,as all you could get over here at that time merchandise wise, was Dolphins, Redskins, Steelers, Raiders and Giants stuff; no Seahawks gear :cry: I so wanted a Largent shirt or Seahawks jacket!!!the lesser of those evils I thought!
A few months later when i was wearing it I had a nice car crash, went through the windscreen, it got covered in blood and wouldn't wash out, so had to throw it away! some good came out the crash :lol:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I've owned Falcons, Cowboys, Ravens, Bears, Jags gear, probably others I can't remember. I love football and I only hate a couple teams. I'd never wear anything from the Cards or Rams and I'd rather die than wear anything 9ers/stealers. Middle school was rough, the Seahawks were terrible and I used to get made fun of for wearing Hawks gear. I suffered through it though and now I wear it as often as possible and wear it as a big middle finger to every non Seahawks fan.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Having spent the first 18 years of my life in suburban Chicago, I grew up a Bears fan. The peak of my Bears fan-dom occurred in 1963 when the Bears beat the Giants 14-10 at Wrigley Field to become the 1963 NFL Champions. In '63 I was 14. I loved my Bears... George Halas, Willie Gallimore, Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus, Mike Ditka and many more. A notable factoid... George Allen was the Bears DC in 1963 and he was awarded the game ball from the championship game.

In 1969 I was drafted into the Army. After my obligatory two years were up, I returned to Chicago (affectionately referred to as ShitCity by me and my close ex-military buddies at the time) but promptly fled northern Illinois for the outdoor beauty and serenity of extreme southern Illinois... Carbondale, IL, the home of Southern Illinois University. Once there, my NFL allegiance shifted to the St. Louis Cardinals who were then known as the Cardiac Kids during the Air Coryell era. Jim Hart was their QB and Terry Metcalf was their all-purpose RB. Like Percy Harvin, Metcalf was a threat to go the distance every time he touched the ball. I stayed a Cardinals fan until the day that I left Carbondale for Seattle in December of 1980.

Been a Hawks fan ever since.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
JSeahawks":28idu4yy said:
So I was hanging out with my parents and my sisters last night and we were watching some of our old family video's from when we were all little kids when to my shame, there was little JSeahawks, about 3 years old sporting a Dallas Cowboys bib. In my defense I looked pretty pissed off so i'm sure it was forced upon me.

In an even darker period of my life I remember sporting a Pittsburgh Steelers jacket for a year sometime around 4th grade (which would have been 1982ish). My dad was a big Steeler fan back then (he is now almost as big of a Seahawk fan as I am) and i'm sure he bought me the coat which I remember loving. He was also a Beaver fan but luckily I rebelled against that and became a Duck fan.

Luckily, soon after that dark period I discovered Kenny Easley, Steve Largent and Curt Warner and all thru high school i was sporting the badass old school Seahawks Starter jacket and the rockin Seahawks zubaz pants (see below). Dave Krieg, Brian Blades and others helped me evolve into the sophisticated, highly intelligent sports fan that I am today.

Anybody else have similar stories of misfortune from their youth? Anybody dare to admit that they wore **gasp** 49er gear?

Jacket zpsffea25ad
Zubaz zps84d38aee

I still have this jacket.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
SussexSeahawk":2z4h1xrd said:
Regrettably I had one of those satiny LA Rams starter jackets around the time when Dickerson was playing,as all you could get over here at that time merchandise wise, was Dolphins, Redskins, Steelers, Raiders and Giants stuff; no Seahawks gear :cry: I so wanted a Largent shirt or Seahawks jacket!!!the lesser of those evils I thought!

Hey, don't worry. When you grew up in a rural area in the US in the 80s and everything in the house was bought out of a Sears catalog, you couldn't find anything but Dolphins, Redskins, Steelers, Raiders and Giants stuff either!

Yay internet! :0190l:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Chicago Cubs and Bears fan growing up. All hail Sweetness! I cried like a baby when he passed.

I cried many times over the Cubs. <sigh>

rjdriver

Reaction score
JSeahawks":36s89g6t said:
So I was hanging out with my parents and my sisters last night and we were watching some of our old family video's from when we were all little kids when to my shame, there was little JSeahawks, about 3 years old sporting a Dallas Cowboys bib. In my defense I looked pretty pissed off so i'm sure it was forced upon me.

In an even darker period of my life I remember sporting a Pittsburgh Steelers jacket for a year sometime around 4th grade (which would have been 1982ish). My dad was a big Steeler fan back then (he is now almost as big of a Seahawk fan as I am) and i'm sure he bought me the coat which I remember loving. He was also a Beaver fan but luckily I rebelled against that and became a Duck fan.

Luckily, soon after that dark period I discovered Kenny Easley, Steve Largent and Curt Warner and all thru high school i was sporting the badass old school Seahawks Starter jacket and the rockin Seahawks zubaz pants (see below). Dave Krieg, Brian Blades and others helped me evolve into the sophisticated, highly intelligent sports fan that I am today.

Anybody else have similar stories of misfortune from their youth? Anybody dare to admit that they wore **gasp** 49er gear?

Jacket zpsffea25ad
Zubaz zps84d38aee

Man, when I was 2nd grade c.1979 I had this Seahawks jacket that I kept for years before losing about 20 years ago. I wore it to elementary school in Vegas and most didn't even know who the team was. I would kill to find one like it. It was blue with like these gray metallic like "plasticky" material arms with a single circular patch with the helmet on the left breast. I am so bummed I lost it, as my son is at the age where he could have worn it. Would be about 35 years old now. If someone has one (I know, needle in a haystack), please post a photo of it. It would bring back memories.

NoChops

Reaction score
I've got a cowboys hat and a jamal anderson jersey. The jersey I got because we are brothers from another mother. the hat...can't explain. Its pro style and a good color so I can wear it backwards and my bald head doesn't stick out. Was a boys fan as a kid and had a really cool white/blue reversible 22 that I actually gave off my back to a disabled person who was a huge Cowboy fan and was going nuts about how cool it was. Ugh, kinda feel dirty, guess i better go buy that ET jersey I have been putting off picking up.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Wow! Some of you guys are real losers!

I don't usually tell this story, but for you guys, I will.

I have always been a "Seahawk." I was conceived at an after hours party in the Kingdome restrooms. All I can reveal is it involved Efren Herrera, Bill the Beer Man and a literal truckload of undocumented, big-legged Swedish women.

As I grew into my teen years, I knew I couldn't shake the connection to this team. I can't explain it with words, but I had a longing to "go home" my real home, where my soul felt at ease.

The rest is history. Me, my friend Ralph Malph, Potsie and the Fonz always enjoyed watching the games.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Seahawk fan from about age 8. Started at Chris Warren as my introduction to football then Ricky Watters then the Hasselbeck era. Was playing as Warren in schoolyard football for years and years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
McGruff":2mhvta9d said:
Scottemojo":2mhvta9d said:
Before I started watching the Seahawks, I rooted for the Racist Skins in the SB against the Dolphins.

Too my credit, I was a stupid little kid and thought they were from Washington. The state, that is. I also stuck a thumbtack on some guy's chair during that game and got a good ass whippin for it. Like I said, stupid kid.

You stole my story.

I was a five year redskin fans in my youth spanning the Theisman to Rypien eras.

Trenchbroom":2mhvta9d said:
SussexSeahawk":2mhvta9d said:

Hey, don't worry. When you grew up in a rural area in the US in the 80s and everything in the house was bought out of a Sears catalog, you couldn't find anything but Dolphins, Redskins, Steelers, Raiders and Giants stuff either!

Yay internet! :0190l:

Two of my stories on this thread! As a youth in rural Western Montana in the early 70's, the Sears catalog store was the ONLY source for nearly any NFL team gear, not to mention clothes in general. My mom was buddies with the gal who managed the store, and it only took a week or two for stuff to arrive after you ordered it.

Somehow in 5th grade, I took a liking to the Redskins the year after the 72 Super Bowl, with Billy Kilmer (and their QB controversy with Sonny Jurgensen), Larry Brown, Ken Houston, Pat Fischer, Charley Taylor, Chris Hanberger, Mike Bass, and a bunch of other mostly-forgotten players, coached by George Allen "The Future Is Now", and aka The Over-The-Hill-Gang, because of all the veterans Allen brought in. I thought they had the coolest uniforms too.

My friends were mostly Rams, Vikings, Dolphins fans, with the an occasional Stealers and Raiders fan. In 6th grade, I got my prized Redskins winter coat, pretty sure courtesy of the Sears store, and wore it proudly. I would have to physically fight my older, non-football-fan brother to watch Monday night football when he wanted to watch "Rhoda" instead in that time slot. Favorite games included the "NFL Game of The Week" where the Skins beat the Vikings 35-34 in a shootout with Billy Kilmer throwing his wounded ducks, beating Fran Tarkenton and the Vikes. Used to hate the Cowboys with a passion (OK, I still do) and the darkest day of my youth was that Clint Longley last-second TD on Thanksgiving Day to beat my beloved Redskins. It took months to get over that one... I had to respect the hell out of Roger Staubach though, what an amazing and tough QB.

When the Seahawks came on the scene, a few years later, I was hooked, and eventually made the total switch. The Chuck Knox teams of the 80s, Dave Krieg, Curt Warner, that ball-hawking turnover-producing secondary of Dave Brown, Kenny Easley, Paul Moyer, and finally making the playoffs consistently. Oh yeah, and some slow but quick WR named Largent, I think it was. I remember watching Seahawks game tapes on the old VCR with the wired remotes! Loved the Denver game that opened with Krieg-to-Daryl-Turner for an 80 yard TD. And the 83 playoff game in Miami... a great day to be a Seahawk fan.