Any chance Wilson has a sophomore slump?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":29n47mht said:
What if he does have a slump and it appears as if defenses have figured him out?

What ya all gonna do then?

If that does happen, unfortunately I don't think it will, I don't believe that you can say it would be all inclusive.

Our two QB's share the unique talent of being extremely mobile and are threats to run for a first down just as much as they are a threat of passing for one. This fact alone is why I don't honestly see Wilson having the typical "sophomore slump", if he has any slump at all...unfortunately. :)

If he goes through a period of multiple games where it looks like his passing ability is diminished, his scrambling will come into play that will still cause him to be dangerous while making shorter intermediate passes. If his ability to scramble from the pocket fades next year, then his accuracy and arm strength coupled with Harvin will still keep you guys dangerous.

As long as you guys avoid injuries...you will probably be just fine. :pukeface:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1b9vbepl said:
What if he does have a slump and it appears as if defenses have figured him out?

What ya all gonna do then?

Punch you in the nuts. :2:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Aros":ijuianqf said:
Seriously. Who else in the HISTORY of the NFL has prepared like Russell Wilson. Honestly?

THAT reason alone (forget his natural God-given talent) is a guarantee this kid doesn't suffer from the Sophomore Slump. That stuff is for "regular" QBs.

Peyton Manning.

Jerry Rice.

They had legendary work ethics, too. And while they didn't suffer sophomore slumps, they had down years later in their careers (at least, compared to their own excellence).

I think the reason you see "sophomore slumps" is that teams catch up to special rookies eventually - usually after a season when opponents have had more time to study them and really work on plans to counter their skills. It happens to everyone. The key is how those sophomore players respond to the inevitable down games. Sophomore players tend to still have a bit of immaturity, and allow themselves to get in a funk or press too hard. Wilson should have the maturity to counter that. But nothing is guaranteed. Not even for Wilson.

Rotoki521

Reaction score
I will say it is possible, but I think this game is about adaptation. People are correct to suggest that if you shut down the receivers... That a running QB's instinct is to run, but Russell isnt simply a running QB. However, he has shown even though his receivers are covered that he as the ability to extend plays to allow his receivers to get open. I hate to say it but Big Ben is one of the best at that. Not only him but Aaron Rodgers. Now, Im only comparing the ability to extend plays in comparison of those QB's. You don't have a complete game plan for that. You typically tell your team that... They better not break containment on the QB. If you put your hands on him you take him down! Which Russell has proven otherwise. Also, I dont know if I would call that a tendency, but there is a definite difference between knowing when to run and giving up on a play. I think Russell will make his mistakes. He is a rookie for gods sake, but he is also an exceptional football player. He has great vision. I would almost suggest as good as Joe Montana's vision, but with a little bit of the ability to feel the pass rush. He simply does know when to run! That's hard to defend... period.

Winterfell

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1hve0ch9 said:
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Now I have images of Russell Wilson force-choking blitzing linebackers to escape the pass rush and force-choking DBs so his WRs can make easy catches. And also force-choking opposing coaches when they're trying to call timeouts or challenge a play lol.

drdiags

Reaction score
I could see it if Wilson got injured, thereby affecting his mobility or throwing. QBs tend to get dinged up over time. QBs that tend to show a special characteristic about themselves normally remain that way, unless they are a Favre over 20 years type, where age starts to catch up. If they are special, you have to get them early because they only get better with time.

Elway as a rookie was one thing. You knew you had better get your laughs early because he was going to be laughing last. Flacco and Ryan had doubters who wanted to see them make the next step and in my mind they have. Of the recent highly regard QBs who made a splash, Cam seemed to have an early stumble his sophomore year but he came on in the second half, so I am not sure you can say he had a slump.

I guess the only danger is if Wilson attempts to try too much. He was held back early his rookie season and allowed to flourish late. If he tries to expand the playbook before everyone grows together, there could be some hiccups. I don't see that happening but this is all hypothetical so just considering if this did happen, what would be the cause.

lukerguy

Reaction score
He didn't experience a slump his 2nd year at NC State- all categories were better except for his INTs.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sophomore slump is not our real worry. The odds of a QB staying healthy all season long is 4-1 against. Wilson did it last season. It's extremely unlikely that he'll not miss any games this year.

kearly

Reaction score
Sophomore slump? More like Sophomore surge.

bellingerga

Reaction score
there is NO WAY IN HELL he has a sophomore slump. He'll have bad games, everyone does, but I think overall there will be an improvement in his game.

He's just too determined to fail.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson pro baseball career will help him, he is used to having long seasons, typically a lot of players hit a wall due to fatigue and not being used to keeping themsleves in shape over a long haul, that or mentally fatigued and burned out. Wilson is a student first and is always in the study mode, mental burn out isn't going to happen.

As far as figureing him out ala Sam Bradford, we didn't see anything anyone did to do that successfully last year, he recognises when a team tries to take something away and reacts real time, again attributed to his study and being able to have the confidence of the staff.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
volsunghawk":25eslhwo said:
Peyton Manning.

Jerry Rice.

They had legendary work ethics, too. And while they didn't suffer sophomore slumps, they had down years later in their careers (at least, compared to their own excellence).

I think the reason you see "sophomore slumps" is that teams catch up to special rookies eventually - usually after a season when opponents have had more time to study them and really work on plans to counter their skills. It happens to everyone. The key is how those sophomore players respond to the inevitable down games. Sophomore players tend to still have a bit of immaturity, and allow themselves to get in a funk or press too hard. Wilson should have the maturity to counter that. But nothing is guaranteed. Not even for Wilson.

Whatever buzz kill. ;)

Personally I think you are wrong but we shall all see soon enough.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Wilson hasn't left the film room all off season. The kid is a perfectionist, has the work ethic of Jerry Rice, the athletic abilities of Tarkenton and the smarts to go along with it. Sophomore slump? Not a chance (barring some major O-line implosion, and even then I believe he can still win games all on his own).

Winterfell

Reaction score
Speaking of which, does anyone think his legendary work ethic MIGHT possibly actually negatively impact him after a while? I mean he's only human...right?

Like someone training for a marathon and over-exerting themselves to injury, or a med student burning out in that last year of med school or 2nd year of residency. Not because these examples are lazy, they're otherwise very fit and intelligent people, but because humans can only take so much strain, pressure, and stress before they succumb mentally or physically. Like soldiers in WWI and WWII just getting shell-shocked by constant mortar and artillery fire.

I'm not saying he will, but sometimes, hearing that Wilson is pushing himself TOO hard worries me. A better problem than a QB that never works hard enough (Jamarcus Russell) but I think that's the reason why Schneider wanted Wilson to take it easier on himself.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
How can people answer 'no'? Even a 0.0000000001% chance of a slump is still a chance of a slump and an apparent and unfortunate 'yes'!

pinksheets

Reaction score
I've always thought of sophomore slumps as defenses catching up to special athletes that defenses and coaches simply hadn't seen before or weren't prepared for or decent rookie quarterbacks who benefit from other aspects of their offense or coaching that caused opposing defenses to focus elsewhere. A lot of guys can coast in on their initial abilities, being something new and different, not as many can adapt.

I don't see that as being the case with Russell. He runs on his football IQ, his ability to read defenses, and his preparation just as much as his athleticism. You can't say that about many QBs who break out in their first year. I think Russell and Luck are the only 2 guys I'd be so confident as to bet money not dropping off or struggling a bit more following their breakout year.

Uffda

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

nah, ain't going to happen.

I would worry about the run defense more then that.