Forgive me Largent, for I have sinned.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
So I was hanging out with my parents and my sisters last night and we were watching some of our old family video's from when we were all little kids when to my shame, there was little JSeahawks, about 3 years old sporting a Dallas Cowboys bib. In my defense I looked pretty pissed off so i'm sure it was forced upon me.

In an even darker period of my life I remember sporting a Pittsburgh Steelers jacket for a year sometime around 4th grade (which would have been 1982ish). My dad was a big Steeler fan back then (he is now almost as big of a Seahawk fan as I am) and i'm sure he bought me the coat which I remember loving. He was also a Beaver fan but luckily I rebelled against that and became a Duck fan.

Luckily, soon after that dark period I discovered Kenny Easley, Steve Largent and Curt Warner and all thru high school i was sporting the badass old school Seahawks Starter jacket and the rockin Seahawks zubaz pants (see below). Dave Krieg, Brian Blades and others helped me evolve into the sophisticated, highly intelligent sports fan that I am today.

Anybody else have similar stories of misfortune from their youth? Anybody dare to admit that they wore **gasp** 49er gear?

Jacket zpsffea25ad
Zubaz zps84d38aee

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yea, I think a lot of us did. When you're a kid, especially if your folks ain't into football, it's easily forgiven. I do recall collecting a lot of Redskins, Cowboys, 49ers, etc., football cards when I was young and impressionable. In my defense, the majority were Seahawks cards, which I might add, were at a premium at school then.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Before I started watching the Seahawks, I rooted for the Racist Skins in the SB against the Dolphins.

Too my credit, I was a stupid little kid and thought they were from Washington. The state, that is. I also stuck a thumbtack on some guy's chair during that game and got a good ass whippin for it. Like I said, stupid kid.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I grew up near Sacramento, CA, so ya, I was a 49er fan. Used to have lot of their stuff. I'll even admit that I still have a place in my heart for them, especially when my dad was still alive (he just passed a month ago.)

On a sad note.....even tho he was a die hard 49er fan, he loved to follow the Seahawks and talk with me about them, showing me that its ok to root for another NFL team. I was so excited about the Harvin trade and the Avril signing that I went to call him when I heard the news. Then I remembered that I couldn't anymore. Damn. So, if you have a dad or a son that you don't talk to very much, pick up the damn phone and do it now, because before you know it, you won't be able to ever again.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My transgression was that I was a Vikings fan before I was a Seahawks fan. I had an Ahmad Rashad jersey I loved and wore all the time. Loved their Nike-looking logo, loved the purple.

To my credit, this was before the Seahawks were even in the league.

Once they were, I mean the minute they were, my allegiance was forever changed.

Good DOES prevail over evil!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Scottemojo":r1o4x5wr said:
Too my credit, I was a stupid little kid and thought they were from Washington. The state, that is.

Me too. I think a lot of kids, especially if not told better, thought that. Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers - easy to do when you're seven. I learned they weren't quickly enough, but as they were rivals of the hated Dallas Cowboys, it made them easy to root for. Them, and the 49ers. Until the switch to the NFC West again, I pulled for them as an NFC team, primarily stemming from the great 49ers-Cowboys rivalries of the '80s and '90s.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3m30y4h8 said:
...Then I remembered that I couldn't anymore. Damn. So, if you have a dad or a son that you don't talk to very much, pick up the damn phone and do it now, because before you know it, you won't be able to ever again.

Always good advice Kevin. Life is just too damn short sometimes.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I did *gasp* wear 49er gear during the Montana years. But in my defense, I had the biggest crush on him, lol. They got thrown in the garbage when Steve Young took over, as he is a jerk. Seeing as all this was back when the Hawks were in the AFC West, there was NO WAY I was wearing Chiefs gear!

drdiags

Reaction score
Born and raised a Chicago Bears fan, along with the other teams from the city. 4 years in the military back then made it tough to stay up on the teams and I was into my early 20's chasing women thing while stationed in Biloxi, Ms.

Moved here after my tour and adopted Seattle Sports, lock, stock and barrel. Don't claim any of the Jordan Bulls championships, or 85 Bears, White Sox, Cubs (Miracle Mets can rot in hades!) or my beloved Blackhawks since 78.

No regrets.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
My Dad is a Rams fan and tried to get me to follow/root for them as a youngster. He failed. I do root for the Dodgers and Lakers after my Seattle teams though.

Rotoki521

Reaction score
This is hard to admit but... The first football team I played on was the New York Giants. So, I naturally loved the Giants. I played DE/RB and I loved watching Lawrence Taylor play. He was one of my favorites! The next team I played on was the Chiefs. Which did have Derrick Thomas and Christian Okoye... which I loved watching years top plays. One of them was on Christian Okoye and dude was a monster. It wasnt till my family moved back to Seattle after living the Military lifestyle in Japan, did I reunite with the Hawks. Now, I know why my pops hated the fact I would cheer on the Chiefs, when the Hawks were playing. I was a kid of course. Still he constantly gives me 'S' about it till this day...

Rainger

Reaction score
I was a raiders fan from 62 until the Hawks were born in 76. My son was in born in 78 and I named him Ken after Kenny Stabler. I still have Raider drink glasses, mugs, books and memorabilia.

I tried to be a duo fan for the next 10 years but the Raiders slowly wore, off. I still have a long deep affection but not the rabid fan I am for the Hawks.

godawg

Reaction score
Grew up in the 60s in NY and though my dad was a Giants fan for football and baseball, I rooted for Jo Willy's Jets and the Miracle Mets (sorry diags, but I went to the game when they clinched the pennant). By the time I moved to Seattle in '83, years after leaving NY, I was ready to adopt the Hawks and the Dawgs. Twenty five years later I moved to SLO CA, where I now make a hobby of giving shite to Whiner fans.

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
I have an uncle who was born and raised in SF. When me and my cousin were 1 year olds he bought us 49ers gear and I mean full on outfits. He had us wearing 49ers socks, shirts, hats, and jackets. I didn't know this until a few years ago when I was looking at baby pictures and I stumbled upon it. Thankfully once me and my cousin grew up we became seahawks fans and now we have bets going on with our uncle whenever the hawks and niners play.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
It's actually because of a Niners fan that I became interested in American Football at all. Old friend of mine, back when we were early teens, 13/14 or so, was a huge Niners/NFL fan. He'd been over to the states, come back with a load of Niner's gear etc etc.

Anyway, one visit, I finally sat and watched a game with him, this was back in the Boz years. Seahawks won, don't remember who they beat, and I've been a Hawks fan ever since.

drdiags

Reaction score
No problem godawg, it was the stinking Cubs who choked away that second half.

Agee, Swoboda, Harrelson, Seaver and others were just better than Banks, Williams, Beckett, Kessinger, Santo, Jenkins, Holtzman, Hundley and Leo the Lip Durocher. Toughest summer of my young teenage life. Broke many a TV set that year (or dang near anyway .. hee hee).

nepahawk

Reaction score
I like Aros, grew up a Vikings fan. Huge Chuck Foreman fan, #44 was my hero. I can still see him in my mind spinning off tackles.

I had everything Viking, I was a purple nightmare.

Growing up in PA, everyone seemed to be either an Eagle, Steeler or Cowboy fan, I didn't want follow the crowd.

It was hard as a young kid to watch the Vikings continue to lose in the Super Bowl.

When Seattle became an expansion team, I decided it was time to start with a new team, and haven't wavered since.

I have never had one of my teams win a SB yet, hopefully, my want will soon come to an end.

Go Hawks!

Axx

Reaction score
I work a (ATL FALCONS) Michael Vick Jersey

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Seattle didn't have a team when I was a kid. When I first saw the Washington Redskins I thought they were our team. I imemdiately became I diehard Redskins fan. By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late. I was hooked on Larry Brown, Charley Taylor, Billy Kilmer and the Over The Hill Gang. Besides, who else was a going to root for? Then, when I turned 16, we got our beloved Seahawks and that, as they say, was that.