Concerning the draft and S.F. and the Seahawks

chris98251

Reaction score
If my numbers are right we have 8 picks and they have 14, given that both teams were right there with so many picks coming up and the free agents signed how many are actually gonna be making a impact or even make either team this year.

Considering this is the type of draft in my mind that will fill a lot of rosters with lunch pail type players that may have long careers and yes some may improve to pro bowl level but nothing that lights up anything in neon lights after the first maybe ten and even they are less then steller based on normal drafts.

I know we will be looking at depth for future contracts coming up on one hand, on the other we have to get into the dance with this player base, this is our window.

Having said all of that and no longer having a first pick, do we become a enabler for other teams allowing them to move up if there isn't a player there we think is a got to have guy by trading for future picks? S.F. I think can use more player but even at that 14 picks is a lot, do they have that same mindset except using picks to select a guy that can help them compete better for the division.

We know the Pats have been working drafts a lot like the above situations for years now, are we at that point as a franchise?

nsport

Reaction score
Not sure we are all the way there yet with regards to Pats pick management. However, I do think that the free agent splashes who are addressing immediate DL needs- as well as the trade for Harvin effectively getting a draft-age player with 4 years of NFL experience means that we can now draft for the future. I can't be sure how many spots are up for grabs, but I would suspect 1-2 in the OL, 1-2 on the DL, 1-2 on the LB's, and 1-2 on DB. The mixing and matching of those picks - based on many factors, such as value, availability, interest from other teams, and so on - those that hang on could be the same thing as we had with a Sweezy or a Jeremy Lane as an example. I would be ecstatic if they already had 3-5 players pegged as gotta have's and traded down further and further to acquire future picks, which in essence is the Patriots model.

Barthawk

Reaction score
I agree McGruff.. the pats D has been suspect for the past 3-4 years and even with the plethora of draft picks it has yet to be solved (outside of Mayo.. he is good). Their best defensive player was drafted 2 picks before Marcus Tubbs.. Wilfork

godawg

Reaction score
I still wanna curse when I think about missing out on Wilfork. Tubbs had his upside (and his downside of course), but Wilfork had few flaws and looked (and has proven) to be a foundational player. That was a draft where a little trade up would have made a big difference.

kearly

Reaction score
How many picks do the 49ers have anyway? I thought they had 14 before the Boldin trade cost them a 6th. Did they have 15?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
No way that many players can make either team anyway. There just are not enough open spots on the rosters. Both teams would be wise to trade for future picks or to move up.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
I was looking on the meltdown board and they said 15 to 14 in one thread, I'm pretty sure we have 8.

Reaction score
49ers picks by round:

1.) 1
2.) 2
3.) 2 (+ 1 expected compensatory)
4.) 1
5.) 2
6.) 2 (1 traded away)
7.) 2 (+2 expected compensatory)

1 of their 6th rounds were traded away... Ridiculous... They have 6 picks in the first 2 days of the draft.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
6 picks on the first two days of this years draft is enough to build themselves a nice little expansion team. With a cheap QB and no cap problems they can afford to rebuild while being superbowl contenders.

The only thing standing in their way is lil ol seahawks. I hope we make it count.

rjdriver

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":1sw7ujfw said:
6 picks on the first two days of this years draft is enough to build themselves a nice little expansion team. With a cheap QB and no cap problems they can afford to rebuild while being superbowl contenders.

The only thing standing in their way is lil ol seahawks. I hope we make it count.

Six picks in a deep draft to boot. They are going to be able to plug any holes with cheap rookie contracts.

If Kaep is strong, they will be tough to beat. They are well in game coached, but I still think Harbaughs prodigious arrogance and ego will somehow take its toll

I just don't want to be the present day version of the 1970's oilers. Easily the second best team in the whole NFL by far, but stuck in a division with best.

formido

Reaction score
rjdriver":2auta798 said:
seahawksTopGear":2auta798 said:

Six picks in a deep draft to boot. They are going to be able to plug any holes with cheap rookie contracts.

If Kaep is strong, they will be tough to beat. They are well in game coached, but I still think Harbaughs prodigious arrogance and ego will somehow take its toll

I just don't want to be the present day version of the 1970's oilers. Easily the second best team in the whole NFL by far, but stuck in a division with best.

After the end of last year and this off-season, I'm pretty sure the Niners should be more worried about that scenario than Seattle.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I still have not figured out how Niner fans equate the loss of Josh Morgan with a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Until the compensatory picks are announced, we don't know.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about all the draft capital that the Whiners have.

Hairbags has already shown the league what he feels rookies (including seasoned back-ups) are good for... riding the pine.