Any chance Wilson has a sophomore slump?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Any chance Wilson has a sophomore slump?
Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 pm
  • I personally don't think with his work ethic he will. However, with the new additions we could potentially offset that if it happened. If Wilson improves on his rookie year, I don't honestly see how we don't sweep the division.

I keep seeing people believing that the Rams are going to be the team to give us problems. I honestly can not name one player on their offense right now other than Bradford. Gibson and Amendola gone. I think the Rams will regress this year but they are rebuilding and will be a thorn in the future.

My prediction for the season

Seahawks 13-3
    49ers 11-5
    Rams 7-9
    Cards 5-11
    storm74
    NET Veteran

• DCs will learn some of Wilsons tendencies and defend him better. How he adjusts to this is the key. The biggest thing in Wilson's favour is he does not have to do it alone. He has a good supporting cast.
    warden
    NET Veteran

• NO! That's the answer.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Only if the O-Line collapses in epic 2012 Huskies type fashion (which you can't entirely rule out).

It always starts and ends at the O-line. I expect Wilson to be prepared for everything that he can control.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• HEX NO!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• warden wrote:DCs will learn some of Wilsons tendencies and defend him better. How he adjusts to this is the key. The biggest thing in Wilson's favour is he does not have to do it alone. He has a good supporting cast.

What tendencies?

I think that's a stock answer for most young QB's that doesn't apply to Wilson. The only "tendency" he has is to get better every week.

He has such a diverse game that I don't see how he will do anything but improve. His preparation and work will outweigh teams that spend a few hours a week trying to game plan him.

That's the beauty of this offense. You can't just go "all in" to stop Wilson. You have to plan for him, Lynch, Rice, Tate, Harvin, Miller. All are potential game changers.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Trrrroy wrote:NO! That's the answer.

What he says! He prepares too much to have that happen, he will not allow it to happen.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• OP, you didn't even provide one reason behind your initial question! Why would he have a sophomore slump?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• He already had his slump, when PC and Bevell limited his offensive plays and therefore his effectiveness.

I don't see one coming next year. He's smart, film room dedicated, first person in, last person out. Sophomore slumps happen when players believe that they have arrived and forget the need to constantly improve themselves. Wilson doesn't believe he's a star, I don't think he will ever. He believes hard work and practice will get him and the team to the Superbowl. He's right.

Doesn't have any Cam Newton signature superman attitude, his signature is "Go Hawks!"

So no, I believe he will have games that are more dissapointing then others, but no slump.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:OP, you didn't even provide one reason behind your initial question! Why would he have a sophomore slump?

I don't need to provide a reason. Things happen. I don't believe he will have a sophomore slump. However, did anyone expect Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, or Sam Bradford to have sophomore slumps? I don't know. Wilson always says "the separation is the preparation" so I'm optimistic that it shouldn't be an issue.
    storm74
    NET Veteran

• Not a chance. This dude is not normal. I mean that in the best possible way.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I hope I won't be jumped for saying this...but there is always a chance for a sophomore slump. Every quarterback is susceptible to it, even Russell Wilson.

Do I think Wilson will have a sophomore slump? Probably not, the chances are in his favor since he is such a smart, hard-working QB with great physical gifts on a contender team.

Is it a possibility he'll have a slump? Yes.

There is so much parity in the NFL, and the NFC, specifically the NFC West, is stacked with talent. Give or take a play here and there in a game, have an injury or two, etc. and situations can change very quickly.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• No chance.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• No
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• In a sense, you're asking if Wilson will regress?, NO
    Will his supporting cast keep pace with Wilson? THAT'S a better question here.
    Marshawn is a big part of the success we've had, and going foreward, Wilson will need to tie up loose ends with Harvin (now in the mix), and getting all his Receivers on the same page.
    Nobody studies the game like RW, and that kind of devotion will only produce positive results.
    I'm gonna throw some more grease on the wheels of the Russell Wilson fan wagon, jump on, grab hold, and hang on tight for the crazy ride. :0190l:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seriously. Who else in the HISTORY of the NFL has prepared like Russell Wilson. Honestly?

THAT reason alone (forget his natural God-given talent) is a guarantee this kid doesn't suffer from the Sophomore Slump. That stuff is for "regular" QBs.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• What if he does have a slump and it appears as if defenses have figured him out?

What ya all gonna do then?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Do robots have sophomore slumps?

Answer: No.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• The last two years, the Hawks have had a tough first game. This year, however, I see us "hit the ground with the wheels spinning"!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to start Flynn. You know what to do, Pete.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:What if he does have a slump and it appears as if defenses have figured him out?

If that does happen, unfortunately I don't think it will, I don't believe that you can say it would be all inclusive.

Our two QB's share the unique talent of being extremely mobile and are threats to run for a first down just as much as they are a threat of passing for one. This fact alone is why I don't honestly see Wilson having the typical "sophomore slump", if he has any slump at all...unfortunately. :)

If he goes through a period of multiple games where it looks like his passing ability is diminished, his scrambling will come into play that will still cause him to be dangerous while making shorter intermediate passes. If his ability to scramble from the pocket fades next year, then his accuracy and arm strength coupled with Harvin will still keep you guys dangerous.

As long as you guys avoid injuries...you will probably be just fine. :pukeface:
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:What if he does have a slump and it appears as if defenses have figured him out?

Punch you in the nuts. :2:

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Seriously. Who else in the HISTORY of the NFL has prepared like Russell Wilson. Honestly?

THAT reason alone (forget his natural God-given talent) is a guarantee this kid doesn't suffer from the Sophomore Slump. That stuff is for "regular" QBs.

Peyton Manning.

Jerry Rice.

They had legendary work ethics, too. And while they didn't suffer sophomore slumps, they had down years later in their careers (at least, compared to their own excellence).

I think the reason you see "sophomore slumps" is that teams catch up to special rookies eventually - usually after a season when opponents have had more time to study them and really work on plans to counter their skills. It happens to everyone. The key is how those sophomore players respond to the inevitable down games. Sophomore players tend to still have a bit of immaturity, and allow themselves to get in a funk or press too hard. Wilson should have the maturity to counter that. But nothing is guaranteed. Not even for Wilson.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• I will say it is possible, but I think this game is about adaptation. People are correct to suggest that if you shut down the receivers... That a running QB's instinct is to run, but Russell isnt simply a running QB. However, he has shown even though his receivers are covered that he as the ability to extend plays to allow his receivers to get open. I hate to say it but Big Ben is one of the best at that. Not only him but Aaron Rodgers. Now, Im only comparing the ability to extend plays in comparison of those QB's. You don't have a complete game plan for that. You typically tell your team that... They better not break containment on the QB. If you put your hands on him you take him down! Which Russell has proven otherwise. Also, I dont know if I would call that a tendency, but there is a definite difference between knowing when to run and giving up on a play. I think Russell will make his mistakes. He is a rookie for gods sake, but he is also an exceptional football player. He has great vision. I would almost suggest as good as Joe Montana's vision, but with a little bit of the ability to feel the pass rush. He simply does know when to run! That's hard to defend... period.
    Rotoki521
    NET Rookie

• volsunghawk wrote:
    Aros wrote:Seriously. Who else in the HISTORY of the NFL has prepared like Russell Wilson. Honestly?

Peyton Manning.

Jerry Rice.

They had legendary work ethics, too. And while they didn't suffer sophomore slumps, they had down years later in their careers (at least, compared to their own excellence).

I think the reason you see "sophomore slumps" is that teams catch up to special rookies eventually - usually after a season when opponents have had more time to study them and really work on plans to counter their skills. It happens to everyone. The key is how those sophomore players respond to the inevitable down games. Sophomore players tend to still have a bit of immaturity, and allow themselves to get in a funk or press too hard. Wilson should have the maturity to counter that. But nothing is guaranteed. Not even for Wilson.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Now I have images of Russell Wilson force-choking blitzing linebackers to escape the pass rush and force-choking DBs so his WRs can make easy catches. And also force-choking opposing coaches when they're trying to call timeouts or challenge a play lol.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• NOPE
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• I could see it if Wilson got injured, thereby affecting his mobility or throwing. QBs tend to get dinged up over time. QBs that tend to show a special characteristic about themselves normally remain that way, unless they are a Favre over 20 years type, where age starts to catch up. If they are special, you have to get them early because they only get better with time.

Elway as a rookie was one thing. You knew you had better get your laughs early because he was going to be laughing last. Flacco and Ryan had doubters who wanted to see them make the next step and in my mind they have. Of the recent highly regard QBs who made a splash, Cam seemed to have an early stumble his sophomore year but he came on in the second half, so I am not sure you can say he had a slump.

I guess the only danger is if Wilson attempts to try too much. He was held back early his rookie season and allowed to flourish late. If he tries to expand the playbook before everyone grows together, there could be some hiccups. I don't see that happening but this is all hypothetical so just considering if this did happen, what would be the cause.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• He didn't experience a slump his 2nd year at NC State- all categories were better except for his INTs.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• storm74 wrote:I personally don't think with his work ethic he will. Howev-

No. No he won't.
    Guardian
    NET Veteran

• Sophomore slump is not our real worry. The odds of a QB staying healthy all season long is 4-1 against. Wilson did it last season. It's extremely unlikely that he'll not miss any games this year.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Sophomore slump? More like Sophomore surge.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• there is NO WAY IN HELL he has a sophomore slump. He'll have bad games, everyone does, but I think overall there will be an improvement in his game.

He's just too determined to fail.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• Wilson pro baseball career will help him, he is used to having long seasons, typically a lot of players hit a wall due to fatigue and not being used to keeping themsleves in shape over a long haul, that or mentally fatigued and burned out. Wilson is a student first and is always in the study mode, mental burn out isn't going to happen.

As far as figureing him out ala Sam Bradford, we didn't see anything anyone did to do that successfully last year, he recognises when a team tries to take something away and reacts real time, again attributed to his study and being able to have the confidence of the staff.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:Peyton Manning.

Jerry Rice.

Whatever buzz kill. ;)

Personally I think you are wrong but we shall all see soon enough.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• kearly wrote:Sophomore slump? More like Sophomore surge.

Sophomore soar...ing?
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• Wilson hasn't left the film room all off season. The kid is a perfectionist, has the work ethic of Jerry Rice, the athletic abilities of Tarkenton and the smarts to go along with it. Sophomore slump? Not a chance (barring some major O-line implosion, and even then I believe he can still win games all on his own).

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• Speaking of which, does anyone think his legendary work ethic MIGHT possibly actually negatively impact him after a while? I mean he's only human...right?

Like someone training for a marathon and over-exerting themselves to injury, or a med student burning out in that last year of med school or 2nd year of residency. Not because these examples are lazy, they're otherwise very fit and intelligent people, but because humans can only take so much strain, pressure, and stress before they succumb mentally or physically. Like soldiers in WWI and WWII just getting shell-shocked by constant mortar and artillery fire.

I'm not saying he will, but sometimes, hearing that Wilson is pushing himself TOO hard worries me. A better problem than a QB that never works hard enough (Jamarcus Russell) but I think that's the reason why Schneider wanted Wilson to take it easier on himself.
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• How can people answer 'no'? Even a 0.0000000001% chance of a slump is still a chance of a slump and an apparent and unfortunate 'yes'!
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:How can people answer 'no'? Even a 0.0000000001% chance of a slump is still a chance of a slump and an apparent and unfortunate 'yes'!

again, I find your lack of faith disturbing...
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I've always thought of sophomore slumps as defenses catching up to special athletes that defenses and coaches simply hadn't seen before or weren't prepared for or decent rookie quarterbacks who benefit from other aspects of their offense or coaching that caused opposing defenses to focus elsewhere. A lot of guys can coast in on their initial abilities, being something new and different, not as many can adapt.

I don't see that as being the case with Russell. He runs on his football IQ, his ability to read defenses, and his preparation just as much as his athleticism. You can't say that about many QBs who break out in their first year. I think Russell and Luck are the only 2 guys I'd be so confident as to bet money not dropping off or struggling a bit more following their breakout year.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely not.

nah, ain't going to happen.

I would worry about the run defense more then that.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:I've always thought of sophomore slumps as defenses catching up to special athletes that defenses and coaches simply hadn't seen before or weren't prepared for or decent rookie quarterbacks who benefit from other aspects of their offense or coaching that caused opposing defenses to focus elsewhere. A lot of guys can coast in on their initial abilities, being something new and different, not as many can adapt.

I don't see that as being the case with Russell. He runs on his football IQ, his ability to read defenses, and his preparation just as much as his athleticism. You can't say that about many QBs who break out in their first year. I think Russell and Luck are the only 2 guys I'd be so confident as to bet money not dropping off or struggling a bit more following their breakout year.

Have to agree with Pink here. Wilson seemed to rely on his athleticism and unique style of play early in the season but progressed into a traditional pocket passer as the season went on. His knowledge of defenses will likely do more for him than defenses knowledge of him.

I don't see any tendencies that defenses can really latch onto unlike Kaepernick who struggled to get through multiple reads and relied heavily on his athleticism all year. The teams that beat the Niners were good defensive teams that reduced Kaep's running ability and kept him in the pocket. In the pocket his awareness was not elite and with him defenses can focus on exactly that. Wilson's pocket presence is elite and that is not something that goes away, it is based on instinct and film study. Even if you contain him he will beat you with his arm.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:Peyton Manning.

Jerry Rice.

Whatever buzz kill. ;)

Personally I think you are wrong but we shall all see soon enough.

Which part am I wrong about? The part where I said that Manning and Rice had legendary work ethics, like Wilson? The part where I said that immaturity often played a role in sophomore slumps, and that I thought Wilson's maturity should counter that?

Holy hell, folks. I was big on the Wilson bandwagon early on... I think you can find plenty of threads where I was hard-headedly arguing for Wilson starting over Flynn. But the kid's not perfect. He WILL still make mistakes here and there. And that's why I said it wasn't a GUARANTEE that Wilson doesn't have a sophomore slump. But the awesome part is that he seems to learn from EVERY mistake he makes.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:Sophomore slump is not our real worry. The odds of a QB staying healthy all season long is 4-1 against. Wilson did it last season. It's extremely unlikely that he'll not miss any games this year.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the 4-1 odds that a QB won't stay healthy all season long? Seems to me that at least half the league's teams last season had starting QBs who played all 16 games.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• With the talent they keep putting around Wilson, the chance of a slump is slim. Our QB put the screws to some pretty good pass defenses last year, so I kind of doubt he goes backwards now.

Slumps are usually tied to injuries, new teammates, a lack of dedication to the craft, and new coaching. Kurt Warner had a mid career slump from a thumb injury and concussions, Rivers had one the last two years because his GM let his team get old around him and let his receivers leave town, Josh Freeman slumped because he had to learn how to be a better leader, and Alex Smith slumped for 4 years after a promising rookie year because he kept getting new offensive coordinators.

The new teammates one is the only one that could affect Wilson, but it doesn't seem likely as his new teammate is Percy Harvin. Russell even seemed impervious to a constantly shuffling offensive line.

One thing to watch this season for Wilson: In the SB, the Ravens put a hit on Kaepernick after nearly every option handoff. Now, I had heard this was supposed to be a penalty, but in the SB it was not. I am curious to see if defensive coordinators noticed and use that against Wilson. I remember Bevell talking about how the option is such a good tool just because in the NFL you can't smoke the QB when he doesn't have the ball. If we get into games where the ref crew is as reluctant as the Boger crew was to pull the hankie in the SB following QB hits, it could force us to drop the option play just to protect Wilson. And no option for Wilson could be a bit of a slump cause.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Probably not, but yeah, there's a small percentage possibility.

:229031_shrug:

Lack of faith? Hell, I'm a Seahawks fan. I don't know how to handle success.

Yet.
    ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• There's always a chance. There have been many players who had as good of a stretch as Wilson only to revert. Hell, look at Derek Anderson. I don't think it will happen, but saying it couldn't is silly.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

• volsunghawk wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:Sophomore slump is not our real worry. The odds of a QB staying healthy all season long is 4-1 against. Wilson did it last season. It's extremely unlikely that he'll not miss any games this year.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the 4-1 odds that a QB won't stay healthy all season long? Seems to me that at least half the league's teams last season had starting QBs who played all 16 games.

Yeah, that 4-1 odds against number isn't close to accurate. Last year, 20 teams had QBs who started all 16 games and 5 more had QBs who started 15 games. 3 more (SF, KC, Jac) had QBs leave with minor injuries and stuck with the backups for performance reasons. That leaves 4 of 32 teams (Pit, Phi, Ten, Ari) whose QB situations were derailed by injuries in 2012, and all of those teams had starting QBs with an injury history prior to the season.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• No, because Wilson doesn't have to be the best player on the team for the team to win.

Sophomore slumps usually seem to hit teams that were crappy so drafted a QB high in the first round who comes out and has a good year and then the next year the team doesn't do enough to put pieces around him and suddenly the entire team takes a step back including the QB.

So in other words, no offense to RG3 but I see him having a sophomore slump more than wilson, or luck, because the Seahawks and Colts and put a team around their guys, whereas Dan Snyder in WA is just going to pray RG3 doesn't get hurt and then burden him with doing EVERYTHING to get their team to win.

That isn't happening here. You could probably start Flynn and we'd still be a great team headed to the playoffs.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information