Doug Baldwin to be traded? (Colts, speculation)

The Outfield

Reaction score
5th or 6th round pick for Baldwin? God, no way I'd want us to do that trade. What a joke.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Sounds like reporters are shooting down the Cruz link. Could mean nothing, but could also make Baldwin more likely.

I kind if think it is bigger than that. Irsay said they had been working on it for days. Which makes me think a sizable salary is involved. Doug would be a quick trade, no cap issues, one/maybe two picks.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Axx":lqh89r8p said:
doug has stated in the past that him and Luck are good friends and communicate every now and then. THis may be one of the reasons why Indi is perusing him?

This is the only reason I can see it happening. They can't draft someone that has what Baldwin offers Luck. A history at Stanford and they train offseason together.

if the security blanket is important and Luck wants it they will over pay for him

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Doug just tweeted: Well, your guess is as good as mine, but when I see ‘whopper’ I think Giant. I don’t play for the Giants. I play for the Seahawks!
6:16 PM - 17 Mar 13

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense from our side to trade Baldwin, unless someone pays what most consider over market value.

I say keep Baldwin and draft a WR or two for PS/backup/future development.

:)

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I don't understand why some of you would trade him for a 3rd. Are we really that greedy? Baldwin has great chemistry with our offense and has amazing talent for a 4th WR, not to mention he's on a UDFA salary.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":1lganx48 said:
I don't understand why some of you would trade him for a 3rd. Are we really that greedy? Baldwin has great chemistry with our offense and has amazing talent for a 4th WR, not to mention he's on a UDFA salary.

Like you just said, he is a 4th WR, who we found as a UDFA. I think most teams would take a third in a heartbeat for that player. A obvious net gain in a vacuum. Even considering our SB aspirations, still pretty solid value for your 4th guy.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I'd even want more than Indy's late third. Not that Doug is necessarily worth more than that, but if we trade him, all of a sudden we need to go seek out depth at WR. As it stands, we've got 4 roster spots basically locked up, and can let the other 2 be battled out by existing guys or rooks. If you trade Doug, we lose a guy that we know is a dependable slot guy, whose presence gives us some of that freedom we need to move Percy all over the field, including into the backfield. I know Doug isn't absolutely necessary, but he's more than just a slight luxury to me.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I think it's Jeremy Maclin. The situation makes more sense, he's in last year of contract, only 24 years old, new coach, doesn't overlap with TY Hilton, Eagles aren't settled at QB

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The Colts appear to NOT have a round-5 pick this year, so IMO, if they want Baldwin to play with his former OC and QB-Luck, their round 4 pick, #118 overall MIGHT be a potentially acceptable option. Per current cbssports.com rankings their round 4 - #118 pick could result in players like:

CB-Leon McFadden, CB-Brandon McGee (both projected as potential slot corners),
DE-Devin Taylor, DE-Cory Lemonier, DT-Jordan Hill,
OLB-Jelani Jenkins, OLB-Gerald Hodges,
OT-David Quessenberry, OT-Jordan Mills,
WR-Kenny Stills, WR-Cobi Hamilton, WR-Chris Harper, WR-Steadman Bailey (if he somehow falls),
RB-Marcus Lattimore, RB-Kenyon Barner, RB-Le'Veon Bell.

--Thinking as if this were a straight-up trade, which of these, IF ANY, would we consider trading for Doug Baldwin?

If not a 4-th this year, maybe the Seahawks would take a round 7 pick this year and a round 3 pick next year that replaces the ones given up in the Harvin trade? We all know how JS values draft picks.
I'm sure PC/JS would consider any possibilities they think will help the team, so you never know.......

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":27pbu8hx said:
Ask yourself this, if the Seahawks used their 3rd round pick next month on a guy whom they envisioned long-term being a #4 WR, would you be happy? Of course not. A 3rd round pick is a top 100 selection, and has to be a projected impact starter a la Russell Wilson or KJ Wright (2nd pick of the 4th round). If somebody offers you a #3 for a nice-but-ultimately-limited rotational guy who has already hit his ceiling at what is a relative position of strength for you already, you take it. Every time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Strength now, next year you have two contracts up and with Harvin starting and Tate on the bench unless we go trips you think Tate stays if he can try to start somewhere, then the strength takes a hit and Baldwin is a nice supplement to a potential depth issue.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
chris98251":1a7h764h said:
Strength now, next year you have two contracts up and with Harvin starting and Tate on the bench unless we go trips you think Tate stays if he can try to start somewhere, then the strength takes a hit and Baldwin is a nice supplement to a potential depth issue.
You say that as if there's no such thing as the 2013 Draft, the 2014 Draft, 2014 free agency, and the trade market. There's a whole lot of other transactions that are going to happen between now and the start of the 2014 season, its not as though all the WR's that we have today is all that we'll be allowed to have then. Also, Baldwin will be a RFA after the 2013 season so its not a mortal lock that he'd even be in Seattle for the 2014 season anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
I say a UDFA can be brought back a lot easier then a 2nd round pick, I also say we have been trying to fill WR spots for a few years and would not have traded for Harvin if Tate had been able to step up his game faster since Harvin is essentially what we were looking for in Tate when we drafted him. We keep rotating our depth chart at WR to find competent back up and depth, Baldwin is a proven cheap commodity. Those future drafts are future, they may or may not bring in a guy that sticks, you have one here now. So many people look a gift horse in the mouth and then bitch and moan when that player leaves based on what we try to replace them with.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This is a draft that Schneider has admiited, he likes the WR position as far as talent goes.

I could see a trade if it makes sense. Right now, we have 3 guys capable of playing the slot. This draft seems pretty deep at slot guys. It's a position we can get younger and cheaper in 2014 at, while maintaining quality. I'd hope we explore that option.

Escamillo

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":346ls13o said:
Hawken-Dazs":346ls13o said:
Ask yourself this, if the Seahawks used their 3rd round pick next month on a guy whom they envisioned long-term being a #4 WR, would you be happy? Of course not. A 3rd round pick is a top 100 selection, and has to be a projected impact starter a la Russell Wilson or KJ Wright (2nd pick of the 4th round). If somebody offers you a #3 for a nice-but-ultimately-limited rotational guy who has already hit his ceiling at what is a relative position of strength for you already, you take it. Every time.

There has always been a group of folks on this board that have been Baldwin bashers. I don't get it. You're talking Bout the team's leading receiver in both receptions and yards in 2011 , and he was just as good in 2012 when he was finally healthy. If you don't believe that, just watch the Seahawks/49es game again, which has recently been posted to YouTube (that video served as the topic of a recent thread here). Baldwin makes two spectacular TD grabs, the first of which was also quite acrobatic, and you and the other Baldwin belittlers are going to sit here and bash him as "nice, nut limited"? Please...

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Escamillo":28ue95wu said:
NorthDallas40oz":28ue95wu said:
Hawken-Dazs":28ue95wu said:

There has always been a group of folks on this board that have been Baldwin bashers. I don't get it. You're talking Bout the team's leading receiver in both receptions and yards in 2011 , and he was just as good in 2012 when he was finally healthy. If you don't believe that, just watch the Seahawks/49es game again, which has recently been posted to YouTube (that video served as the topic of a recent thread here). Baldwin makes two spectacular TD grabs, the first of which was also quite acrobatic, and you and the other Baldwin belittlers are going to sit here and bash him as "nice, nut limited"? Please...

Umm, I am not "Baldwin bashing." Go back and read my first post in this thread on page 1. I've already stated that Baldwin's value to the Seahawks - even as a #4 WR - is enough that only an overpay by Indy (which to me would be a 3rd round pick) would make a trade worth consummating.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Apparently one of Irsay's tweets referenced a quote in 'On Golden Pond', so there's that to chew on.