any word on branch?

streets24

Reaction score
I am watching the wild card game and we need him back! Dude is tough! We NEED him back!

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Heard JS on the radio the other day, he said they were in contact with his agent. No deal yet, still negotiating. They probs want him for half or less of his previous salary.

Maybe I am reading into his words too much, but JS seemed to be leaning toward drafting someone at that spot.

OP
OP
S

streets24

Reaction score
I will tell you this I am from fremont Ohio and I bleed scarlet and grey big time and this dude was crap from up north and has been a thorn in my side for a long time till he came to us. He was really pissing me off when he was in Arizona cuz he just played mad. I see a difference in his play from back than but the guy knows the game and is a space taker. He has earned a little money with us. Give him two more years. That would mean two super bowl rings!

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am not quite sure WHY Branch is so valuable? I seems to me we get owned in the running game once RED got hurt? Branch played all year long did he not? Not trying to be a jackass just curious.

warden

Reaction score
I would rather do a one year rental on Seymour (if the numbers are right) and draft a DT with our second rounder.

My gut still says that Quinn and Carroll are discussing the possibility of moving Big Red back to DT. One thing for sure, Carrol is not stuck in his ways

lukerguy

Reaction score
warden":3u30xl74 said:
I would rather do a one year rental on Seymour (if the numbers are right) and draft a DT with our second rounder.

My gut still says that Quinn and Carroll are discussing the possibility of moving Big Red back to DT. One thing for sure, Carrol is not stuck in his ways

Apparently Seymour wants a lot more than he's worth- I saw someone Tweet about it a few days ago.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Branch is great at the right price. But he's not worth any more than the amount he was already making here. And JS knows it.

warden

Reaction score
lukerguy":k1llznmo said:
warden":k1llznmo said:

Apparently Seymour wants a lot more than he's worth- I saw someone Tweet about it a few days ago.

That may change when he realizes nobody is going to pay him a large sum of money. It will come down to , play for less or retire. One or two more years playing with a legit contender for less is something he may consider when he realizes his days of commanding big bucks hare over

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I seriously doubt we'll see Branch back. He regressed badly in 2012 from his 2011 season, to the point that he had a negative overall grade by Pro Football Focus (Clinton McDonald even had a higher grade), which is amplified when you're a 2-down player in the first place.

Also, forget about Richard Seymour. The lower body injuries have really taken their toll on him, to the point that he was walking like Fred Sanford by the end of last season. Plus, this regime has proven that they have no inclination to sign creaky vets in their 30's to any kind of deal, even 1/2-year deals. When they do that, they do it with players in their prime (Jason Jones, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett). This regime values youth and athleticism.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2fu0ufyx said:
I seriously doubt we'll see Branch back. He regressed badly in 2012 from his 2011 season, to the point that he had a negative overall grade by Pro Football Focus. This regime values youth and athleticism.

I would be inclined to agree. It is interesting that PFF scored Big Red very low and they scored Michael Bennett very high both against the run and rushing the passer

I wonder if Red maybe at risk, and is a potential player they no longer need along with Branch?

kearly

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2moz9qfi said:
I seriously doubt we'll see Branch back. He regressed badly in 2012 from his 2011 season, to the point that he had a negative overall grade by Pro Football Focus (Clinton McDonald even had a higher grade), which is amplified when you're a 2-down player in the first place.

Also, forget about Richard Seymour. The lower body injuries have really taken their toll on him, to the point that he was walking like Fred Sanford by the end of last season. Plus, this regime has proven that they have no inclination to sign creaky vets in their 30's to any kind of deal, even 1/2-year deals. When they do that, they do it with players in their prime (Jason Jones, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett). This regime values youth and athleticism.

I love PFF, but I watch players very closely myself, and I think they had Branch a little too high in 2011 and too low in 2012. Branch's score was barely negative anyway, meaning that he was essentially average last year.

PFF grades very heavily for run defense, and I wonder how much an ineffective Red Bryant hurt Branch last year? I don't think it's a coincidence that Tampa's line graded so well against the run across the board- they were all helping each other out with a high level of play.

Also, Clinton McDonald is a free agent himself, and might not be back. Even if he comes back, he doesn't do what Branch does. We need Branch as depth for the 1-tech and Red Bryant roles. Bringing back Branch on a low cost deal makes a lot of sense. Unless we luck out and get Sylvester Williams in the late 2nd, Branch would probably be better than the draftable "all round" DTs remaining for us.

Largent80

Reaction score
Nobody is knocking down his door to get him, and I'm sure John is just letting this situation stew and eventually he will re-sign Alan.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
With the market where it is, Branch is probably holding out a little longer and then begrudgingly signing a cheapo deal somewhere. If Michael Bennett can only get 1 year for $5 mil, Branch is looking at a small deal for sure.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3ai307hm said:
NorthDallas40oz":3ai307hm said:

I love PFF, but I watch players very closely myself, and I think they had Branch a little too high in 2011 and too low in 2012. Branch's score was barely negative anyway, meaning that he was essentially average last year.

PFF grades very heavily for run defense, and I wonder how much an ineffective Red Bryant hurt Branch last year? I don't think it's a coincidence that Tampa's line graded so well against the run across the board- they were all helping each other out with a high level of play.

Also, Clinton McDonald is a free agent himself, and might not be back. Even if he comes back, he doesn't do what Branch does. We need Branch as depth for the 1-tech and Red Bryant roles. Bringing back Branch on a low cost deal makes a lot of sense. Unless we luck out and get Sylvester Williams in the late 2nd, Branch would probably be better than the draftable "all round" DTs remaining for us.
Pretty sure Clinton was tendered. He will be back.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
McDonald was tendered. We get a 7th round pick if anyone signs him to an offer sheet.

gmor

Reaction score
warden":2hy6ow6s said:

Some one mentioned that Seymour would only play if he was paid well. That alone would be a problem area.