This year's free agents? Painless. Next year's? Oh boy...

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Also, I believe next year Zach Miller and Sydney Rice won't be on our team. Simply too expensive for what they do. My opinion: we can also do just as good or better from upcoming drafts. Eliminating these two salaries will go a long way to cap financial health.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Largent80":29sx0ecu said:
Can we please just worry about winning our first title EVER instead of this?

You're right.
Thanks for bringing me back to the present and refocusing on what is truly important this season!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Mjolnir":27oeyb7w said:
I agree with Hawkfan77.
Really, for all the love Kam gets around here, I'm not particularly (over) impressed. He is a decent safety who lays a good licking, but gets lost quite a bit out there. I am absolutely positive there is a lot of players in the future draft who will be as good or better. I'd rather save any huge monetary contracts when the time comes for only:

Wilson (duh)
Thomas
Sherman
Okung

That's it. I'm a believer that the draft can take care of any other need. Especially with the building track record this front office is showing us.
I'd add Unger to that list. A good center can never be underestimated. We keep Unger.

Axx

Reaction score
i feel good enough about their drafting abilities that we dont have to worry about resigning most of these players honestly.
I think Robinson will be the hardest one to replace, his leadership role is very important.

OP
OP
Harperville

Harperville

Reaction score
Some of you are so quick to be hostile to your fellow fans. I just wanted to make the point that next year we're going to be losing some mainstays, more so than Branch, Jones, Hill and Tru. This is a fortunate offseason for us. I even said we're loaded this year and indicated we should kick some butt.

The Radish

Reaction score
Mjolnir":3fkueuva said:
Also, I believe next year Zach Miller and Sydney Rice won't be on our team. Simply too expensive for what they do. My opinion: we can also do just as good or better from upcoming drafts. Eliminating these two salaries will go a long way to cap financial health.

I keep hearing this about Rice but don't think that will happen. Remember we won a couple of games on his back! That game against the Pats kind of quieted that noise down but I see everyone has forgotten and is busy trying to say he isn't worth the money.

I could be wrong but I'll think I'm nearer the truth than your pronostications.

:les:

OP
OP
Harperville

Harperville

Reaction score
The Radish":2dcplk7w said:
Mjolnir":2dcplk7w said:

I keep hearing this about Rice but don't think that will happen. Remember we won a couple of games on his back! That game against the Pats kind of quieted that noise down but I see everyone has forgotten and is busy trying to say he isn't worth the money.

Bears game too in OT.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I strongly disagree with those that think Kam and Tate have to be resigned. Both players bring a unique talent to the team but both players are just small pieces to our team and when the time come to pay them if they ask for big $$ I don' think those to will get it from us. Tate is an average #2 WR in this league, I would not pay him Brain Hartline money, if he left DBfresh could step in and be nearly as productive for he URFA salary. Kam has been caught in cover with his pants down too many times, his big hits are awesome but just like Ken Hamlin if he gets a big offer he doesn't bring enough value and doesn't deserve to be a top paid Saftey, without Earl he might just be average.

I also disagree with those against keeping Giacomini, do you not realize how much better he has gotten and how he has that nasty attitude that an OLman needs. I don't think he will get huge money but he does deserve a pay raise.

I think we can afford to keep

Mike Rob
Giacomini
McQuistin
BB RFA
Baldwin RFA

If Kam, Tate, and Bennett want big money let them walk and collect the comp picks later.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini - his play this year will go a long way towards keeping him. Do they draft his replacement this year in the mid rounds?
Michael Robinson - should be able to sign or replace for cheaper than 2.5 mil. Net savings
Kam Chancellor - I love Kam, and want him on the team. If he returns to 2011 form, I would have to seriously consider spending on him. If not, he is replaceable and realistically we can't afford to spend 30+ mil a year on Kam, Earl, and Sherm.
Michael Bennett - wildcard, his role this season will determine next years contract. Hopefully he kicks ass so it's a good problem to have. He is already at 5 mil, so it might not cost too much more to keep him
Paul McQuistan - you can replace a guard for less than 3 mil, we have decent guard depth anyways. net savings.
Golden Tate - I like golden, but he is replaceable, and since you can still have Baldwin for an extra year, I'm not worried about possibly losing him.
Brandon Browner - RFA, at his age and playing style, we can lock down cheap for one add't year, and replace in 2015.
Doug Baldwin - RFA, where he is at on the depth chart, again, cheap to keep for 2014, also replaceable if he signs somewhere else in 2015.
Walter Thurmond - already has shown he is replaceable.
Anthony McCoy - not worried here, TE with similar skills can be drafted.
Dexter Davis - backup, replacement in draft this year or next year
Lemuel Jeanpierre - backup, replacement in draft this year or next year
Jeron Johnson - RFA
Michael Morgan - RFA
Charly Martin - RFA
Will Blackmon - 715,000 cost, he will be cheaper to replace

I'm really not worried at all about next year, besides, Clemons and Flynn are the obvious cap casualties and would free up enough cash for us to resign Kam and/or Golden if we wanted to (or save for Earl and Sherm in 2015).

Mjolnir

Reaction score
The Radish":bh25tn0n said:
Mjolnir":bh25tn0n said:

Please don't take my prognostications (because, that's all they really are! LOL) with regards to Rice to indicate I don't appreciate what he has done for the team.

But one or two great plays don't justify the salary. And if it comes down to Rice versus the other 4 (well, OK, I agree with the above that Unger should be on that list....so 5), I don't think he belongs in that category.

Rice is not worth the money. He is a good receiver, but not a great one. The salary we pay him is for a great receiver.

Same can be said for Zach.

Just my opinions....however skewed, f*cked up, ignorant, (add adjective here), etc. they may be. :mrgreen:

chris98251

Reaction score
You absolutly keep Robinson, people say he's easiliy replaced, well look around the league and in college, how many teams have a Fullback that can run catch and block anymore, he may not be Strong but he's argueably the best all round FB in the league and our run games proves it.

Dismissing our lineman as fodder, come on guys, look down the road at Arizona, I am not saying give them the moon, but McQuiston plays just about anywhere on the line, he knows his roll and his abilitys don't embarrass us, only place he isn't used for is Center. Bruno is the attitude we need out there, he has improved dramatically since he first came here and once put on notice calmed way down on the stupid penaltys. He probably won't cost a lot anyway.

Kam I agree we need to see what form he takes after getting his ankles repaired, he is the enforcer in our secondary though and attitude the rest feed off of, don't think he will be asking for Ed Reed money anyway.

Browner where I agree we have depth at corner we don't have the physical presence of Browner that I think makes a difference on how we play. Can Maxwell and or Lane step up and be that guy maybe, Browner is not going to fit a lot of other teams schemes anyway, he may not cost as much as we think to retain.

Tate and Baldwin, Baldwin will be cheaper to re up since he's at a lower base anyway and not considered a starter, Tate he may be the wild card, he has a high opinion of himself and was drafted 2nd round. That will garner a higher offer, Harvin takes his spot so dropping him on the depth chart may also rub him the wrong way.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
The Radish":17aoybbk said:
Nice first post and Welcome to Seahawks.net

:th2thumbs:

Thank you.

I love Robinson, and don't think he is easily replaced, I just think he can be resigned for 3-4 years for less than what we are paying him next year. If he bounces, we free up roughly 2 mil and pick up a guy for the league min.

McQuistan, is a solid guy, but with the cap and rookie contracts, this is a league driven by star players with the rest of the roster filled in by inexpensive guys on their rookie contracts. He is neither, and as said before, I find a replacement that costs 2 mil less a year that is coming into their prime and not about to leave it.

Giacomini might not cost much more to keep, and if his improvement from last season is still there, you have to consider hanging onto him.

With regards to Zach Miller, his cap hit goes down a bunch next year, and if he remains healthy, he should remain a Hawk.

Speculating on this years draft, I could def see us drafting more offense, specifically targeting TE, WR, and, OL with 3 of our first 4 picks.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
also consider the fact that it would be smart to re-sign some of these guys this offseason instead of waiting. Once the draft happens and we are done with FA some things might happen. Rice and Miller might be asked to restructure. Whatever cap room is left could be turned into some front-loaded re-signing of guys.

Add that to the fact that other guys will step up and some of these guys will no longer be as important after this season and things will work themselves out.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Harperville":2c74a48v said:
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Paul McQuistan
Golden Tate
Brandon Browner
Doug Baldwin
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy
Dexter Davis
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Jeron Johnson
Michael Morgan
Charly Martin
Will Blackmon

Top half of that list are going to want to be paid. Can't keep them all. If I could keep three it would be Robinson, Chancellor and Browner. We are ridiculously loaded this year...time to get it done!

I think Tate,Baldwin,and Giacomini are good players but could be replaced while the players i would keep Browner,Kam, and Bennett are the players i would spend on (Robinson is the alternate) everyone else is valuable but they are just role players.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":ibejqfhv said:
THIS!!!!!!!
I wish folks would trust this front office, they kind of know what they are doing!
Enjoy the ride folks, it's going to be a good one for awhile! :th2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Largent80":3hd86ang said:

Its an internet web site not the team locker room. Maybe we start another thread on uniforms?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":34g8o4dk said:
Largent80":34g8o4dk said:
THIS!!!!!!!
I wish folks would trust this front office, they kind of know what they are doing!
Enjoy the ride folks, it's going to be a good one for awhile! :th2thumbs:

It seems pretty clear to me by now .... that many .netters just love to play the "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda" game!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'd love to have everyone back, but the chips will fall where they may. Impossible to predict at this point. Last year, most people probably wouldn't have expected SF to let their 1st team All-Pro safety walk without a fight. GB seems content on letting go of popular players like Jennings and Woodson. We all see what's happening to Baltimore this off-season.

That's the NFL. Can't let yourself worry about it too much. Enjoy what you got right now.