The Niners Have Fallen Behind In The Arms Race.

NorCal

Reaction score
Counting Harvin as a reliable RB in any form is laughable. I hope they run him, then he will have one of his 6 games played seasons.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
Super jealous is an understatement. People will say dumb things when they're jealous/scared. None of it will matter when Harvin is torching them for years to come

GoHawks

Reaction score
Ninerguy":2nmjs5ax said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2nmjs5ax said:
Ninerguy":2nmjs5ax said:
Incorrect, I get the excitement at signing a bunch of FAs.
But FA signings do not mean all those players will work out well, history of the NFL proves that out. Thats why it is such a surprise the JS would go away from what he preaches which was VALUE your draft picks and build through the draft!!!

I think he sees a window here before you have to pay or lose many young players and they are swinging for the fences. Not a crazy move but somewhat surprising. I think the Hawks are a very good team as I think the Niners are a very good team...but regardless of all the FA signings for either club it will come down to play on the field and coaching. I like our chances just as much as you like yours.
Fair?

I tried reading this but all I kept seeing was, "PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC"

:13:

lol, then you missed the point English.
SHEETS...My original point was that in signing a bunch of FAs does not guarantee success. It can definitely help but it is not a slam dunk in any way. Hawks are very good, I say that, they were good last season. But if we all know anything is that one years success does NOT guarantee success the next season. So its said, I thought the Eagles were going to be VERY good the past 2 seasons, I was wrong.

BTW, I know you will all flame out on this but I do not think that a 1st,3rd and 7th round pick for a guy that averages 800 yds and 5 TDs a yr as a WR is great value. Just my opinion and let the hate begin but those are marginal numbers at best. You can add in the return game but the Hawks already had one of the best return man in the NFL in Leon Washington. I havent even addressed the injury history of Harvin or his attitude. Trading for Harvin is a high risk high reward proposition is it not? If he hits it out of the park than its a high reward, if he has 800 yards and 5 tds this next season than are you happy with that as compensation?
the 1st and 3rd rounders are serious draft picks and most likely players who actually make your team, the 7th means nothing.

4freakin9

Reaction score
This whole argument is kind of silly so early into FA.

Both teams so far have done well with a few surprises. Here is how I have things pegged at this point, taking into account that there is still a lot of FA to go and the draft.

Seahawks:
Percy Harvin gain, 1st 3rd 7th and big contract loss: Very nice fit for Seattle and should compliment Wilson well in the offense. The lost draft picks could hurt but is in line for a player of Harvin's skill. The contract is a big one and for Seattle fans hopefully wont hinder future resigns. I think the injury bug will magically disappear now that he has been paid.
Avril and Bennet gain: Both players have been way overhyped by the media and the contracts show it. That being said, the contracts are very smart and are short for the purposes of resigning recent draft picks like Wilson. Good pickup overall

Niners:
KC 2nd KCconditional2nd/3rd gain, Alex Smith loss: Baalke should be president for pulling of this trade considering where Alex was so short ago.
Boldin gain, 6th loss: He's an old guy but owned in the playoffs. I don't think he can play at that level all season but hopefully he is better suited than Moss to handle the Kap fastball and will bring it in the next playoffs. I think they are paying him too much at 6mil but the compensation for him was peanuts.
Glen Dorsey gain: Could possibly give them more flexibility in rotations but we won't really know his ultimate roll until after the draft. I think Tomsula should be able to get him to perform better than in KC where he was severely misused.

The draft is the niners ace in the hole right now. With an unheard of 14 picks, and not all junk ones, the niners have some leverage to make moves and will hopefully make it interesting. Either way, it has been a long time since this rivalry was exciting and it feels good to have other divisions pissing there pants about having to face the NFC west these days.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
4freakin9":lbqu99gv said:
This is it in a nutshell.

Actually, this thread would have the potential to be entertaining and enlightening if there wasn't so much "My-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad" in it.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
4freakin9":27pot4ri said:

Both teams so far have done well with a few surprises. Here is how I have things pegged at this point, taking into account that there is still a lot of FA to go and the draft.

Seahawks:
Percy Harvin gain, 1st 3rd 7th and big contract loss: Very nice fit for Seattle and should compliment Wilson well in the offense. The lost draft picks could hurt but is in line for a player of Harvin's skill. The contract is a big one and for Seattle fans hopefully wont hinder future resigns. I think the injury bug will magically disappear now that he has been paid.
Avril and Bennet gain: Both players have been way overhyped by the media and the contracts show it. That being said, the contracts are very smart and are short for the purposes of resigning recent draft picks like Wilson. Good pickup overall

Niners:
KC 2nd KCconditional2nd/3rd gain, Alex Smith loss: Baalke should be president for pulling of this trade considering where Alex was so short ago.
Boldin gain, 6th loss: He's an old guy but owned in the playoffs. I don't think he can play at that level all season but hopefully he is better suited than Moss to handle the Kap fastball and will bring it in the next playoffs. I think they are paying him too much at 6mil but the compensation for him was peanuts.
Glen Dorsey gain: Could possibly give them more flexibility in rotations but we won't really know his ultimate roll until after the draft. I think Tomsula should be able to get him to perform better than in KC where he was severely misused.

The draft is the niners ace in the hole right now. With an unheard of 14 picks, and not all junk ones, the niners have some leverage to make moves and will hopefully make it interesting. Either way, it has been a long time since this rivalry was exciting and it feels good to have other divisions pissing there pants about having to face the NFC west these days.

Great post. I think it is laughable when teams think that FA moves mean championships. Whenever I get excited myself about a free agent being signed I quickly remind myself of the Eagles "Dream Team" and that nothing is decided in free agency.

This article points it out very well:

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000151181/ ... o-success/

That's the trouble with offseason titles: They create big expectations. Big disappointment usually follows

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
NinerLifer":31nd3xe0 said:
4freakin9":31nd3xe0 said:

Seahawks:

Niners:

Great post. I think it is laughable when teams think that FA moves mean championships. Whenever I get excited myself about a free agent being signed I quickly remind myself of the Eagles "Dream Team" and that nothing is decided in free agency.

That article points out the teams that overpay for players and has nothing to do with the Seahawks making moves in free agency and remaining fiscally responsible.

4freakin9

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2gnylznu said:
NinerLifer":2gnylznu said:
4freakin9":2gnylznu said:

Seahawks:

Niners:

That article points out the teams that overpay for players and has nothing to do with the Seahawks making moves in free agency and remaining fiscally responsible.

Considering that Avril and Bennet are the only FA's seattle has signed then they are not overpaying there. Harvin isn't being over payed but he basically got a FA level contract from seattle who had to give up a lot of compensation in order to sign Harvin to a huge contract who still had a year left.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seattle has done the opposite of over spend. They've made clinical, opportunistic moves. And had the 49ers pulled off a trifecta of Harvin, Avril and Bennett... they'd be coming on here giving it billy big bollocks.

And because it's Seattle that's pulled off this tremendous coup... they're now arguing like crazy that 'you dont win anything in free agency'.

They'll no doubt be crowned champions of the draft because they have so many picks they'll be able to sign enough 'names' that the media recognise to be crowned SB champs in April. It's the way it is.

If they were being honest, they'd just admit it's been a brilliant week to be a Seahawks fan and they'll get their turn during the draft. And all this silliness over Harvin is ridiculous. They know full well they'd be jacked up had he signed for San Fran. Big time. He's an elite playmaker.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":24387stg said:
The good news? They cant keep all their players and all their picks.

The good news? Trent Baalke swung and missed very badly in last year's draft, which was his first flying solo (he became GM four months before the 2011 draft and their boards were probably close to being set by then).

It's going to be very hard to mess up this draft though. Let's hope he's up to the challenge.

4freakin9

Reaction score
kearly":a1sl2wl0 said:
Scottemojo":a1sl2wl0 said:
The good news? They cant keep all their players and all their picks.

The good news? Trent Baalke swung and missed very badly in last year's draft, which was his first flying solo (he became GM four months before the 2011 draft and their boards were probably close to being set by then).

It's going to be very hard to mess up this draft though. Let's hope he's up to the challenge.

A lot of the players from last years draft either were injured or got buried by depth on the roster. I agree that Jenkins has clearly showed nothing up till now. That being said, it was clear that he needs to build up his body strength this offseason but has NFL speed and could show up this season. LMJ has worked out fine so far, and most of the rest of the draft was hurt and then buried on the depth chart. Boone's emergence at RG made the Looney pick a luxery and stuff like that happened.

cesame

Reaction score
I just laugh at any 49ers fan that thinks the Bennett signing was anything other than a great signing by Seattle. He gets to the passer and there are stats the back up him being one of the better run stoppers in the NFL.

kearly

Reaction score
4freakin9":2aadsueh said:
A lot of the players from last years draft either were injured or got buried by depth on the roster. I agree that Jenkins has clearly showed nothing up till now. That being said, it was clear that he needs to build up his body strength this offseason but has NFL speed and could show up this season. LMJ has worked out fine so far, and most of the rest of the draft was hurt and then buried on the depth chart. Boone's emergence at RG made the Looney pick a luxery and stuff like that happened.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of all those draft picks busting. If a so-so backup RB is the best thing you can point to, then something went horribly wrong.

That said, I'm pretty sure Matt Millen could probably take 13 or 14 picks in this draft and walk out with several starters. I am not denying that SF is in an excellent position to succeed this April. I'd put it this way: Shaq may not have been a great shooter, but he was great at making layups. If Baalke is good at what he does, he'll kill it. Even if he's not, there's no way the 49ers won't emerge from the draft a better, younger team.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Beyond whose team is making better picks, Seattle's picks are getting significantly more playing time than SF's, and that inherently will enable them to accelerate their improvement as well as the overall team improvement beyond what can be expected from the 9er's, barring knocking out of the ball park on the draft, which most recent draft would indicate not a given

Jville

Reaction score
I think the 49ers organization is conflicted. Trent Baalke is doing a good job as is his personal and scouting departments. The problem I see is that they and the coaching staff are not on the same page .... much like it was with Baalke's predecessor. A coaching staff that prefers veterans getting off to a fast start with complex schemes struggles at getting rookies involved. I see the pressure building on the 49er coaching staff.

The Raiders across the bay, along with as many as 30 other NFL teams, will have an opportunity to pick up prospects from the 49ers in August. The 49er practice squad should also be a useful resource during the year. I don't think anyone is upset or intimidated by an organization that has too few roster spots available for rookies. There will be pleny of volunteers willing to help prospects and agents alike find alternate opportunities. There might even be another future probowler among this years surplus.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think the Niners are going to be pretty aggressive in the draft. Even despite losing some key starters, 13-14 players aren't going to make the final roster. So I think they'll make some moves to target specific players. DL, DB mainly.

The issue that they've got IMO is on defense. Aldon Smith did not look anywhere close to being effective without a healthy Justin Smith. They really have to come out of this draft with a long term successor there, with Smith turning 34 in September. That's why I think they'll move up to secure Datone Jones, who's probably as good a bet as anyone to fill that particular hole. But even then, he aint Justin Smith. And they'll struggle to find anyone who can master that role the way Smith had it locked down.

4freakin9

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2qv1zbb3 said:
I think the Niners are going to be pretty aggressive in the draft. Even despite losing some key starters, 13-14 players aren't going to make the final roster. So I think they'll make some moves to target specific players. DL, DB mainly.

The issue that they've got IMO is on defense. Aldon Smith did not look anywhere close to being effective without a healthy Justin Smith. They really have to come out of this draft with a long term successor there, with Smith turning 34 in September. That's why I think they'll move up to secure Datone Jones, who's probably as good a bet as anyone to fill that particular hole. But even then, he aint Justin Smith. And they'll struggle to find anyone who can master that role the way Smith had it locked down.

Aldon looks to have had a shoulder problem starting from the Chicago game that finally ended up in surgery.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/smith-undergoes-surgery-torn-labrum
I think what Baalke would prefer is to be able to have a lot more of the Spikes being replaced by Bowman type of transitions. Get a veteran in for a couple of years an groom a draft pick. Doesn't always work out (see Mays draft pick) but is a decent strategy. What the hell are you supposed to do with 14 picks though. I'm excited to see what kind of moves they try to make on draft day. Hunt or Datone Jones would be a nice protege under J. Smith.