Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Flynn likely to be back
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:20 pm 
NET Veteran

This according to JC via 710. Clayton said he won't be cut there not going to pay him 4mill dollars to let him walk and then have to find another QB. There's still a chance he could be traded we'll see.

Post subject: Re: Flynn likely to be back
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

General Manager wrote:
This according to JC via 710. Clayton said he won't be cut there not going to pay him 4mill dollars to let him walk and then have to find another QB. There's still a chance he could be traded we'll see.

this is known :stirthepot:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 pm 
NET Veteran

Nice gig for him... earning $7.25m to do barely anything.

He must be resigned to being a career backup by now. When this contract ends he'll be 30. Wonder if they offer him an extra year to spread out some of this salary?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Nothing new here.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm 
NET Veteran

He won't be cut but someone will offer up a trade for him in the draft, no doubt.
Probably to swap picks rather than give them up, or if we really want a player and bundle in a few of our own picks to move up.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 pm 
NET Veteran

I never thought he would be cut but some here actually entertainesd the idea.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

General Manager wrote:

There will always be some who entertain ideas that aren't going to happen.

Just yesterday Pete said that Clemons role was still safe with this team after the Avril signing. Then we sign Bennett and those people started popping off again about how Clemons was a goner. You just have to roll with it sometimes.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

I still think he has a decent chance to be traded.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
NET Veteran

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

He must be resigned to being a career backup by now. When this contract ends he'll be 30. Wonder if they offer him an extra year to spread out some of this salary?

According to Schneider that's not the case. Said that while Flynn is a great teammate he wants to be a starter somewhere. Said Flynn isn't satisfied with being a backup.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 pm 
NET Veteran

Trading him takes the guaranteed money off the table and allows us to sign someone else and save money. Cutting him for 2013 simply doesn't save enough to make it worth it. Cutting him for 2014 must most definately be on the table as it makes more financial sense there

all been discussed

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:59 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

I've always thought of him being traded or released as kind of a long shot. There's no need to suddenly create a position of weakness where we now have a strength. That's Ruskell territory.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:15 pm 
NET Veteran

I honestly expect him to be traded soon. I know everything is going the other way, but I feel like someone is gonna come calling.

This is partially due to the last few days of action, I'm expecting sudden unexpected joy.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 pm 
NET Veteran

JKent82 wrote:
I honestly expect him to be traded soon. I know everything is going the other way, but I feel like someone is gonna come calling.

This is partially due to the last few days of action, I'm expecting sudden unexpected joy.

I am expecting about 100 - I told you so once he gets traded........

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm 
NET Veteran

General Manager wrote:

Yes because it's an option for the team to save money.

I'm surprised you're not all for cutting the guy... given that he's neither tall or fast.

Hawkfan77 wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

According to Schneider that's not the case. Said that while Flynn is a great teammate he wants to be a starter somewhere. Said Flynn isn't satisfied with being a backup.

He better get used to the idea, then.

Last edited by theENGLISHseahawk on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

We get it... You hate flynn.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25 pm 
NET Veteran

Tech Worlds wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

We get it... You hate flynn.

I don't rate him, no. But if we're talking like teenage girls, yes I 'hate' him.

And I'll be glad when we're able to move on from talking about his contract and whether we can trade him or not.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:27 pm 
NET Veteran

Given how the market got flooded with average talents like Cassell, Fitzgerald, and Kolb, it doesn't surprise me that Flynn is likely to stay.

Cutting him would save us money, but open an unnecessary hole. Trading him is a far better option, but what other team out there is going to take on Flynn's contract with Fitzgerald and Kolb still available?

I'd prefer if Flynn were traded elsewhere, but I just don't see it happening this season.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:30 pm 
NET Veteran

Hawkfan77 wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

Any QB, any player in fact, worth having isn't satisfied being a back up. Any player satisfied being a back up should be sent packing fast.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

This has always been the most likely scenario to me, just based off of pure salary cap logic. Cutting Flynn this year only saves $1.25 million in cap space. Factor in finding another competent backup and its probably a wash, at best. Cutting him next year, however, saves us $6.25 million under the cap. He'll be gone, one way or another, at the start of free agency next year, barring a restructured deal.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:51 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

mikeak wrote:
JKent82 wrote:

I am expecting about 100 - I told you so once he gets traded........

Well, I'll go on record as saying I highly doubt we will be able to trade him and he will be competing with one of our draft picks for the backup job this August.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
NET Veteran

With the additions we have made this year, I could very easily see some scenario's where Flynn gets some playing time even with Wilson healthy. If we are blowing teams out and they want to show case Flynn, when would be a better time?
Also with (like said) Kolb and Fitz available for no draft picks, I don't see a scenario where teams go after him and hypothetically if we did get a suiter, would Kolb or Fitz want to come here?

I originally thought a trade would happen but now I am more doubtful. I also cannot envision him being outright released because (again like said) after signing a different backup, we would break even to downgrade the position. I suspect he will spend one more year as a back up and Pete will try and get him some playing time. If we are successful show casing him, we could possibly still swing a trade next year. This has just been a strange year.

It would helpful if the current class of QB's all suck.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
NET Veteran

It's simple: you discreetly put it out there that you will take offers, but plan on keeping him for the most part (ie: not getting cut).

If the right offer comes along, you trade him. If not, you keep him and you have some of the best insurance in the league. This doesn't look like a very deep draft for QBs and I highly doubt we find a backup capable of winning any games next year coming from the college ranks.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 pm 
NET Veteran

Wait... You mean we weren't able to trade Flynn to the Jets for Revis and a first? But it made sense to "Me"!!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:19 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

OP is a little deceiving, given that this is just speculation by a dude.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:21 pm 
NET Veteran

Basis4day wrote:
Wait... You mean we weren't able to trade Flynn to the Jets for Revis and a first? But it made sense to "Me"!!!

The "Flynn for Fitzgerald straight up" talk was the best I remember from the last couple months.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
NET Veteran

I think they are ready to hang on to Flynn for another year, but Schneider has said they'll listen to teams that are "aggressive" with their offer.

The signing of Cassell at 4million a year to compete for a starters spot is close enough too Flynn's contract for teams looking for a player who at least still has that possible upside factor of being a winning QB. If I was the Jaguars I'd consider making a move for Flynn. I think the Hawks for love a 3 rd pick but might settle for a 4th (or conditional pick next year to a team after the draft if Seattle drafts a rookie QB they like.)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:36 pm 
NET Veteran

Seriously, does anyone think it would have taken much for the Vikings to talk Seattle into throwing in Flynn as part of the Harvin deal? Their absolute lack of interest in him has to speak volumes about his perceived value around the league. They just signed Matt freakin' Cassell for close to the same money. They are desperate for depth at QB and still weren't interested.

Honestly, I thought some team would have interest in making Flynn their starter, but I'm finding that increasingly harder to believe. IMO, he plays out next year and gets cut before his salary balloons.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:51 pm 
NET Veteran

The more I think about it the more I am inclined to think they don't really want to move unless its a great offer. They are looking at '13 as a go for it year. Would they have released Portis if they were moving him? They still would need to sign a backup at 2-3 million.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 pm 
NET Rookie

With all the committed dedication to nonstop improvement we hear about RW, it makes me curious what Flynn has been doing so far this offseason. It appears likely that he will be a Seahawk for at least one more season, and I think that's good, but where is he right now and what is he doing? Knowing the way Pete motivates his players to excel, I imagine Flynn is diligently working hard, working out, studying, and practicing, but it would be kind of cool/reassuring to hear a thing or two -- specifics -- about our #2 QB doing that from time to time, knowing that hey, it's suddenly all on his shoulders whenever RW can't go, and those times we have 70-point leads in the 3rd. I'm guessing he's totally all-out preparing for his second year with Seattle... but I haven't heard anything.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm 
NET Veteran

razor150 wrote:
Hawkfan77 wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

Any QB, any player in fact, worth having isn't satisfied being a back up. Any player satisfied being a back up should be sent packing fast.

Then why would a QB ever sign to be a backup for a franchise QB like Brady, Manning, or Rodgers?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
NET Veteran

Someone above mentioned this and I fully agree: Flynn will definitely see playing time this year. Perhaps the equivalent of 3 games (all 4th qtr). We are going to blow teams out. Of this I am certain. I won't be shocked if this offense avgs 30+ per game and won't be stunned if our D avgs 3.5.

With the above in mind, PC needs to get Flynn some real mintutes. Screw the feelings of the other team....when he's in the game we need to showcase him and you can't do that handing the ball to Turbin. When JS says "Flynn is unhappy, wants to start in this league"...of course he does and JS would be foolish to put out any other msg to prospective suiters. He's sure as heck not going to say "Matt Flynn is making a fortune and has reported he hopes to never strap on a jock again". I think Matt understands he can't do any better (this year) than what he's doing now. I sincerely doubt he's going to walk around with his head down. Life is good for us, life is better for him.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 pm 
NET Veteran

Does anyone truly think a quarter here or there in a blow out win against a demoralised defense is going to be enough to convince a team, "this is our guy"?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
Does anyone truly think a quarter here or there in a blow out win against a demoralised defense is going to be enough to convince a team, "this is our guy"?

You know, Rob...I know you say you're just pointing out the facts, but the sheer number of times you reinforce your opinion and the sheer number of people you argue with really does make it look like you have a vested interest in a certain outcome. Just sayin'.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm 
NET Veteran

Its possible that instead of no one being interested in Flynn that JS is telling the truth that they value him and won't give him up for peanuts. They may be asking for a 1 which no one wants to give up. It does not necissarily mean everyone sees him as worthless. I still could see him getting traded on draft day but I don't find it likely because I think JS and Pete want a good back up as they view this as a big year.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:58 pm 
* NET Baller *

lol @ us still talking about the back up like he matters.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:14 pm 
NET Veteran

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

You know, Rob...I know you say you're just pointing out the facts, but the sheer number of times you reinforce your opinion and the sheer number of people you argue with really does make it look like you have a vested interest in a certain outcome. Just sayin'.

I do. It's a little known fact that if Matt Flynn makes the 2013 roster then I have to sell my wife for three camels and a rug.

Seriously, I do have a vested interest. I really, really, really want our backup to be just 'a guy'. I've never rated Flynn and I think he's made a reputation out of one game against Detroit. We've all debated ad nauseum about the QB situation... from Whitehurst to Hasselbeck to whoever and then when they actually find a franchise guy we're still talking about the backup and his large salary etc. And I can't wait for the day the only QB we talk about is the guy who's probably going to win this teams first ever Super Bowl.

And I'm not going to hide that I have a vested interest. I think he's a mediocre average QB earning $7.25m to do very little. I don't think we'll ever be able to trade him and we're counting down to the day he's either cut or re-works his deal. Which seems likely in 2014 at the latest.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm 
NET Veteran

Could see them using him as part of package during the draft.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 pm 
NET Veteran

Throwdown wrote:
lol @ us still talking about the back up like he matters.

Well, what we're paying the guy does matter.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm 
NET Starter

We brought Flynn in to replace TJ, so why wouldn't Buffalo want to do the same thing?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm 
NET Veteran

I think it's smart to keep Flynn unless we can get 3rd round value. Right now we have a large advantege over SF in the fact is we suffer a QB injury for a week or two we have a QB who most would feel confident in winning those games for us. If RW did get hurt and we had a typical rookie and lost 1 or 2 games because of them that could keep us out of the playoffs or home field advantage.

Despite the cap space we'd gain from trading Flynn the risk is not worth anything less than a 3rd. Only way i'm happy is if we could make a trade with a later one of our picks for another teams backup QB.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

FWIW, the Vikings were emphatic that Percy Harvin would not be traded, even as they were shopping him behind closed doors at the combine.

I think if someone offered anything for Flynn, he'd be gone. That said, there is some logic in keeping Flynn for one season. Maybe Wilson actually gets hurt. Even if Flynn doesn't get us a championship, he might play well and raise his value to other teams by several magnitudes, the same way Alex Smith did in 2012.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 pm 
NET Veteran

kearly wrote:
FWIW, the Vikings were emphatic that Percy Harvin would not be traded, even as they were shopping him behind closed doors at the combine.

I think if someone offered anything for Flynn, he'd be gone. That said, there is some logic in keeping Flynn for one season. Maybe Wilson actually gets hurt. Even if Flynn doesn't get us a championship, he might play well and raise his value to other teams by several magnitudes, the same way Alex Smith did in 2012.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 pm 
NET Veteran

Recon_Hawk wrote:
I think they are ready to hang on to Flynn for another year, but Schneider has said they'll listen to teams that are "aggressive" with their offer.

The signing of Cassell at 4million a year to compete for a starters spot is close enough too Flynn's contract for teams looking for a player who at least still has that possible upside factor of being a winning QB. If I was the Jaguars I'd consider making a move for Flynn. I think the Hawks for love a 3 rd pick but might settle for a 4th (or conditional pick next year to a team after the draft if Seattle drafts a rookie QB they like.)

"aggressive" = a 1st and Fitzgerald.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:27 pm 
NET Veteran

General Manager wrote:

Good he's a quality QB, nice to have him as a backup. Flynnsanity will continue!!! <cue the music>

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:30 pm 
NET Veteran

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

He's right. The two games Flynn had for GB in which he put up amazing numbers were meaningless games, just like Flynn's playing time will be this year. There was no bidding war for Flynn in the offseason.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
NET Veteran

I think the Schnied is biding his time until the qb-deficient draft, when teams can't get their qb and the desperation sets in. If there's no action on draft day, he might start shopping him during the season, but it's not strictly necessary. The salary cap is gonna spike. We can stand pat and rock just fine.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:44 pm 
NET Veteran

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
MontanaHawk05 wrote:
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:

I do. It's a little known fact that if Matt Flynn makes the 2013 roster then I have to sell my wife for three camels and a rug.

Seriously, I do have a vested interest. I really, really, really want our backup to be just 'a guy'. I've never rated Flynn and I think he's made a reputation out of one game against Detroit. We've all debated ad nauseum about the QB situation... from Whitehurst to Hasselbeck to whoever and then when they actually find a franchise guy we're still talking about the backup and his large salary etc. And I can't wait for the day the only QB we talk about is the guy who's probably going to win this teams first ever Super Bowl.

And I'm not going to hide that I have a vested interest. I think he's a mediocre average QB earning $7.25m to do very little. I don't think we'll ever be able to trade him and we're counting down to the day he's either cut or re-works his deal. Which seems likely in 2014 at the latest.

So we should just cut him ,here's the problem your going to have to replace him and downgrade the position that doesn't make sense plus you still have to pay him and pay another QB. Next year it may come to that but it doesn't make sense this year at all. Not to mention they won't have a QB that can come in and hold down the fort if something were to happen to our PROBOWL DYNAMIC ELECTRIFYING ELITE QB.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:03 pm 
NET Veteran

General Manager wrote:
So we should just cut him ,here's the problem your going to have to replace him and downgrade the position that doesn't make sense plus you still have to pay him and pay another QB. Next year it may come to that but it doesn't make sense this year at all. Not to mention they won't have a QB that can come in and hold down the fort if something were to happen to our PROBOWL DYNAMIC ELECTRIFYING ELITE QB.

None of this relates to the points I have made.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:09 pm 
NET Veteran

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
General Manager wrote:

None of this relates to the points I have made.

Look English i'm not trying to start a fight here i just don't see the logic in cutting him unless you just don't want him on the team.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 pm 
NET Veteran

General Manager wrote:
Look English i'm not trying to start a fight here i just don't see the logic in cutting him unless you just don't want him on the team.

And I've never argued he 'should' be cut. I've argued it's a possibility in a couple of threads when people have treated the idea like it's comparable to pigs flying. Personally I couldn't care less. If Flynn gets cut, traded or he stays. Whatever the outcome, not bothered. My 'vested interest' as I was discussing with Montana is to have a situation where we don't have to even talk about this any more. I bet you anything New England, Green Bay, New Orleans etc aren't constantly discussing their backup QB. They also aren't paying that guy $7m and neither are Washington or Indianapolis. And one day we'll get there too. Bring it on. Whether that's this year, 2014 or whatever.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]