Flynn likely to be back

kearly

Reaction score
FWIW, the Vikings were emphatic that Percy Harvin would not be traded, even as they were shopping him behind closed doors at the combine.

I think if someone offered anything for Flynn, he'd be gone. That said, there is some logic in keeping Flynn for one season. Maybe Wilson actually gets hurt. Even if Flynn doesn't get us a championship, he might play well and raise his value to other teams by several magnitudes, the same way Alex Smith did in 2012.

The Outfield

Reaction score
kearly":1357v9hm said:
FWIW, the Vikings were emphatic that Percy Harvin would not be traded, even as they were shopping him behind closed doors at the combine.

I think if someone offered anything for Flynn, he'd be gone. That said, there is some logic in keeping Flynn for one season. Maybe Wilson actually gets hurt. Even if Flynn doesn't get us a championship, he might play well and raise his value to other teams by several magnitudes, the same way Alex Smith did in 2012.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1y5ly3wt said:
I think they are ready to hang on to Flynn for another year, but Schneider has said they'll listen to teams that are "aggressive" with their offer.

The signing of Cassell at 4million a year to compete for a starters spot is close enough too Flynn's contract for teams looking for a player who at least still has that possible upside factor of being a winning QB. If I was the Jaguars I'd consider making a move for Flynn. I think the Hawks for love a 3 rd pick but might settle for a 4th (or conditional pick next year to a team after the draft if Seattle drafts a rookie QB they like.)

"aggressive" = a 1st and Fitzgerald.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
General Manager":2718geew said:
This according to JC via 710. Clayton said he won't be cut there not going to pay him 4mill dollars to let him walk and then have to find another QB. There's still a chance he could be traded we'll see.
Good he's a quality QB, nice to have him as a backup. Flynnsanity will continue!!! <cue the music>

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1sjs21iu said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1sjs21iu said:
Does anyone truly think a quarter here or there in a blow out win against a demoralised defense is going to be enough to convince a team, "this is our guy"?

You know, Rob...I know you say you're just pointing out the facts, but the sheer number of times you reinforce your opinion and the sheer number of people you argue with really does make it look like you have a vested interest in a certain outcome. Just sayin'.

He's right. The two games Flynn had for GB in which he put up amazing numbers were meaningless games, just like Flynn's playing time will be this year. There was no bidding war for Flynn in the offseason.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I think the Schnied is biding his time until the qb-deficient draft, when teams can't get their qb and the desperation sets in. If there's no action on draft day, he might start shopping him during the season, but it's not strictly necessary. The salary cap is gonna spike. We can stand pat and rock just fine.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":13hvp8u8 said:
MontanaHawk05":13hvp8u8 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":13hvp8u8 said:
Does anyone truly think a quarter here or there in a blow out win against a demoralised defense is going to be enough to convince a team, "this is our guy"?

You know, Rob...I know you say you're just pointing out the facts, but the sheer number of times you reinforce your opinion and the sheer number of people you argue with really does make it look like you have a vested interest in a certain outcome. Just sayin'.

I do. It's a little known fact that if Matt Flynn makes the 2013 roster then I have to sell my wife for three camels and a rug.

Seriously, I do have a vested interest. I really, really, really want our backup to be just 'a guy'. I've never rated Flynn and I think he's made a reputation out of one game against Detroit. We've all debated ad nauseum about the QB situation... from Whitehurst to Hasselbeck to whoever and then when they actually find a franchise guy we're still talking about the backup and his large salary etc. And I can't wait for the day the only QB we talk about is the guy who's probably going to win this teams first ever Super Bowl.

And I'm not going to hide that I have a vested interest. I think he's a mediocre average QB earning $7.25m to do very little. I don't think we'll ever be able to trade him and we're counting down to the day he's either cut or re-works his deal. Which seems likely in 2014 at the latest.

So we should just cut him ,here's the problem your going to have to replace him and downgrade the position that doesn't make sense plus you still have to pay him and pay another QB. Next year it may come to that but it doesn't make sense this year at all. Not to mention they won't have a QB that can come in and hold down the fort if something were to happen to our PROBOWL DYNAMIC ELECTRIFYING ELITE QB.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":1dbkr9ef said:
So we should just cut him ,here's the problem your going to have to replace him and downgrade the position that doesn't make sense plus you still have to pay him and pay another QB. Next year it may come to that but it doesn't make sense this year at all. Not to mention they won't have a QB that can come in and hold down the fort if something were to happen to our PROBOWL DYNAMIC ELECTRIFYING ELITE QB.

None of this relates to the points I have made.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1xqf6a8u said:
General Manager":1xqf6a8u said:

None of this relates to the points I have made.

Look English i'm not trying to start a fight here i just don't see the logic in cutting him unless you just don't want him on the team.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":1z0tihr7 said:
Look English i'm not trying to start a fight here i just don't see the logic in cutting him unless you just don't want him on the team.

And I've never argued he 'should' be cut. I've argued it's a possibility in a couple of threads when people have treated the idea like it's comparable to pigs flying. Personally I couldn't care less. If Flynn gets cut, traded or he stays. Whatever the outcome, not bothered. My 'vested interest' as I was discussing with Montana is to have a situation where we don't have to even talk about this any more. I bet you anything New England, Green Bay, New Orleans etc aren't constantly discussing their backup QB. They also aren't paying that guy $7m and neither are Washington or Indianapolis. And one day we'll get there too. Bring it on. Whether that's this year, 2014 or whatever.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all that there's either been zero or very little interest in Flynn. It was the same last offseason. I know a lot of people thought a weak QB market would make it advantageous to move him, but it doesn't appear so, at least of right now. If we keep him, he'll be cut in the next offseason.

I'm still open and hopefuly to being pleasantly surprised this year.

HawkWow

Reaction score
We've all seen this before. Someone mentioned above that Harvin was not going to be moved...then he was moved. It's to the point where when a GM makes such a statement, you know change is in the wind. The reporters, no matter how dear to the team, are only going to get what they are given and what the team wants out there. For all we know, there's 6 teams speaking in confidentiality with JS as I type. I think it easy to understand why a GM would not want to make a volitile situation with his current QB worse by screaming from the rooftop that they are in negotiations for the services of his replacement. Maybe there's a market for Flynn, maybe there's not. None of us know the absolute truth. Or should until a deal has been concluded.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2lu6xkcb said:
Its possible that instead of no one being interested in Flynn that JS is telling the truth that they value him and won't give him up for peanuts. They may be asking for a 1 which no one wants to give up.

Funniest thing I've read today.

If only we were in a league where Jeff Ireland was in charge of the other 31 teams.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I dont get why everyone is justifying keeping Flynn by using some kind of "what-if" train of thought, in case something happens to Wilson. If all teams with great QBs thought like this you would see teams like the Packers (who let Flynn walk), Pats, and Saints sign expensive backup QBs. In the end you have to realize you can't create a football team based on the fear of "what-ifs" across the board. Some depth and backup plans are ok, but generally not expensive ones that never see the field. Thats why I dont really care one way or the other what we do with Flynn. I just kind of agree with English, I dont get why the thought of dropping Flynn is unheard-of by some on .net.

BamKam

Reaction score
I never understood the hype behind Flynn. I was happy when we got him because anything was an upgrade from T-Jack... but now that we have our franchise QB and are looking to part ways with Matt, people seem to think we can get a lot more for him than what is possible.

He is still not a proven QB in this league and has a pretty good sized contract for how many NFL games he has actually started.