Would anything less than an 8-0 home record be disappointing

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Outside of SF, i don't see one team on our home schedule I'm scared of, Tampa and NO have no defense, St. Louis is still somewhat flawed. If the hawks won 8 home games with that home schedule last year, they should this year
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• I'll take 12-0. 2 Preseason, 8-0 regular season, and 2 post season wins.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• Yes, disappointing. I am disappointed with any loss.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Extremely
    Ray 74
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I mean it shouldn't be expected, but I'd be very disappointed if we lost any home games this year.

The strongest homefield advantage in the league and superbowl favourites shouldn't be losing any home games at all
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• All Teams lose games but somehow seahawks fans don't seem to realize that sometimes. Can't wait for the epic meltdown of doom on this board when that happens.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:I mean it shouldn't be expected, but I'd be very disappointed if we lost any home games this year.

The strongest homefield advantage in the league and superbowl favourites shouldn't be losing any home games at all

I'm with this.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• davidonmi wrote:Outside of SF, i don't see one team on our home schedule I'm scared of, Tampa and NO have no defense, St. Louis is still somewhat flawed. If the hawks won 8 home games with that home schedule last year, they should this year

I wouldnt even be afraid of SF at home Kraeprnick will crap the bed again, the guy looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I expect them to go 10-0 at home (playoffs included).
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• At this point any loss is a disappointment because i think this team can take on anyone, but at the same time only one team has gone undefeated and i dont see it happening again. All i want this season is to go into the playoffs with momentum.
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

• Don't worry, only 5 more months.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• There is a reason they play the games.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• As an objective observer I really am having a hard time envisioning Seattle losing a single game at home. Yes, theoretically the 49ers are a good enough team to do it. Then again... 42-13. So I doubt see that, either. Otherwise, you take a relatively easy home schedule (49ERS, RAMS, CARDINALS, SAINTS, BUCCANEERS, VIKINGS, TITANS, JAGUARS), the most effective and vociferous "12th-man" in the NFL, and a supremely talented team and you've got one that shouldn't- and probably won't- lose a single home game all year.

The 49ers appear to have the scheduling advantage because San Francisco gets to face the two best teams in the AFC South at home (the Texans and Colts), while the Seahawks have to go on the road for those two contests. But Seattle, all things being equal, is a superior team to both Houston and Indianapolis and could still beat both, even away from home. But at home? Seattle is absolutely invulnerable- I don't expect a single home loss in 2013. If they get past- or once again trounce- San Francisco... there shouldn't be any other potential stumbling blocks.
    AWESOM-O
    NET Bench Warmer

• ON PAPER, we should go 8-0 at home. But, obviously, that's not how it works.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I expect us to win them all at home. I would be disappointed with a home loss, but in looking at it, the two teams most likely to beat us would be SF and STL.

Yes, we trounced SF at the end of last year, but we had a blocked FG returned for a TD, and Davis and Manningham both got knocked out with injury, and their best player (J. Smith) was out for that game. Those events probably won't reoccur again, so while I expect us to beat them, I don't expect another blow out.

The Rams DL owns our OL, and our OL is the exact same as last year. Overall, we're a better team but we struggled to beat them while we were white hot last year, and they beat us at STL (although they struggled to beat us). Either way, we won't blow them out either.

So while I'm as confident as the next fan, I don't think it will be a cake walk and in expecting close games, you have to reasonable expect it's very possible to lose.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:Yes, disappointing. I am disappointed with any loss.

This. ^^

bellingerga wrote:All Teams lose games but somehow seahawks fans don't seem to realize that sometimes. Can't wait for the epic meltdown of doom on this board when that happens.

And this. ^^
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• As a season ticket holder, yes.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I am disappointed with any loss.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Every loss is a disappointment and always has been. I expect to go undefeated at home each year and take the losses very personally.

As expectations go: less than 13 wins on the season will be a disappointment to me and less than 12 will be an EXTREME disappointment. (Unless 11 wins somehow wins the #1 seed in the NFC which would indicate some strong competition throughout the Conference). I'm not AS concerned where those losses come from because 12 or 13 wins in an NFL season is quite an accomplishment.

One thing that is uniquely fun is that Russell Wilson has NEVER lost a Seattle start in his career.
    10-0 currently.
    How incredible would it be if he were to add 12 more wins to that tally?

By the way. I predict Vegas will have our over/under for total wins set at 11.5. Last year we were 7.5.....
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• We lose one at home this year, to the 8-8 Rams, on a fluke.

Home field advantage in the playoffs gets us to the first of six superbowls (4wins) in the Wilson era.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Seattle only had 3 close games at home last year. The Packers, Patriots, and Rams. And honestly, I didn't feel the Rams game was truly close- Seattle just kind of got in their own way but by the time they straightened things out it was pretty clear they were going to win. I think we'd probably beat the Rams by 17 if there had been a 5th quarter. The Packers and Patriots were two elite teams that play well on the road, and they faced Seattle before they added the read option wrinkle and before Wilson truly took off at QB.

Here is the list of next year's home opponents:

San Francisco: A probable win
    St. Louis: A probable win
    Arizona: An extremely likely win
    New Orleans: A probable win
    Tampa Bay: A very likely win
    Jacksonville: An extremely likely win
    Tennessee: An extremely likely win
    Minnesota: A probable win

I think SF, STL, and NO will present a challenge, but will probably all be wins. The rest will all be easy to moderately easy wins.

I think people forget that Seattle was playing at a historically high level in their final 10 games. We're talking 2007 Patriots level. And that was before the events of this offseason. You could make a very reasonable case that the 2013 Seahawks could end up being the best football team in NFL history. This is a team that should have won 13 games last season (FO) and probably just added a win or two with their additions already.

I think we'll lose a couple of games on the road. We'll be 13-3 or 14-2 overall. I think we will win the division with more ease than people seem to be expecting.

And while it's fair to read all this and think "homer!", the fact is, Seattle will never have a better collection of talent than they will in 2013. After next year, salary cap realities will begin to set in and we'll gradually start losing players. Soon we'll have to pay Okung and Thomas and they won't be cheap. Then we'll have to sign Sherman to megabucks. Then it's probably Joe Flacco money for Wilson. We'll probably have something like 70% of our 2013 talent level in 2016, most likely. And around that same time, you'll probably see Lynch's career winding down. If there is a year to make a run at "23-0", 2013 is the year to do it.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Wow! That is an easy home schedule. 14-2
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• kearly wrote:And while it's fair to read all this and think "homer!", the fact is, Seattle will never have a better collection of talent than they will in 2013. After next year, salary cap realities will begin to set in and we'll gradually start losing players. Soon we'll have to pay Okung and Thomas and they won't be cheap. Then we'll have to sign Sherman to megabucks. Then it's probably Joe Flacco money for Wilson. We'll probably have something like 70% of our 2013 talent level in 2016, most likely. And around that same time, you'll probably see Lynch's career winding down. If there is a year to make a run at "23-0", 2013 is the year to do it.

How much do you expect Okung to get?
    Given he signed a 6 year contract worth 48 million it shouldn't be terrifically more than that (and also, given it was a 6 year contract he probably won't get extended until halfway through year 5, ie mid-2014).
    His contract will probably be dictated by what Jake Long gets (4x pro-bowler, 2x all-pro), who is looking for somewhere in the region of 5 years 55 million.
    Considering Okung is a pretty down to earth guy I'd be surprised if he was "insulted" by a 5 year 50m deal (a little less to stay on a team of quality, rather than signing with the Dolphins or Rams), which isn't much more than we're paying already, so cap figure shouldn't change too much.

ET is a different story, his contract was only 5 years 21 million, so he should be getting extended sometime this season, in all likelihood that figure will be doubled to match the Goldson deal, though I'm sure our contract guys will try and negotiate ET down a bit with the proviso that they can use the money to extend other skill players.

Guys DO want to be the best paid, but they also want to win. If you go into negotiations offering players good money (I mean, 35 million over 5 years is hardly something scoff at), but with the understanding that the 7 million saved compared to Goldson means they'll be more likely to keep Sherman, for example, players will be more willing to listen.

Sherman mentioned it when asked if he wanted to be the highest paid corner on NFL am, he said something which translated along the lines of "it'd be nice, but I'm not going to jeopardise the future of the team by being greedy"

I think team strength is a major reason we got Avril and Bennett on such great deals, though the latter is clearly aware that if he puts in a decent season this year he'll be a free agent in a much more expensive market next year.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:I think team strength is a major reason we got Avril and Bennett on such great deals

Exactly. The Jags and Bills wouldn't have gotten deals like those.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• True, Okung will probably get a continuation of his current pay. Which just proves how insane the old rookie pay scale was.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Things change year to year, but it's worth noting that just two teams on Seattle's 2013 home game docket finished with a winning record last year. Seattle actually played both of those teams in Seattle last season. Seattle won both games, and won by a combined score of 72-33.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• What's the unbeaten at home for X games record?
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

• A London Hawk wrote:What's the unbeaten at home for X games record?

I immediately thought of the same thing....

Wikipedia wrote: Most Consecutive Home Games Won, 30

New England Patriots 2008–2011

Most Consecutive Home Games Won (including playoffs), 31

Miami Dolphins 1971–1974
    debevemos
    NET Rookie

• Keep in mind that the undefeated Russell Wilson streak I mentioned included the 2 preseason games he started last year.

Obviously, they don't "count" but the significance is that he has NEVER walked off the field in Seattle as a loser in the entirety of his professional career.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Keep in mind, we were extremely healthy last year - probably the most healthy that I can ever remember.

*I'll be mad if we lose a game, but it'd make more sense to me if we are missing a key piece (like Beast or RW)
    8philngood
    NET Bench Warmer

• I'd rather go 8-0 on the road. And 7-1 at home.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I won't be that disappointed, because the Rams are getting much better and that will be a tough battle. It's the road schedule that's brutal and will probably keep people saying we can't win on the road.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:Keep in mind that the undefeated Russell Wilson streak I mentioned included the 2 preseason games he started last year.

Obviously, they don't "count" but the significance is that he has NEVER walked off the field in Seattle as a loser in the entirety of his professional career.

I thought I replied earlier to this but apparently not... agreed he has never walked off of the the field in Seattle as a loser... but he didn't start the game against Tennessee
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Keep in mind that the undefeated Russell Wilson streak I mentioned included the 2 preseason games he started last year.

I thought I replied earlier to this but apparently not... agreed he has never walked off of the the field in Seattle as a loser... but he didn't start the game against Tennessee

Aha-good catch. So RW is 9-0 as a starter in all games played in Seattle and the team is undefeated/10-0 at home since RW arrived.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bellingerga wrote:All Teams lose games but somehow seahawks fans don't seem to realize that sometimes. Can't wait for the epic meltdown of doom on this board when that happens.

WTF?!? The Seahawks are never going to lose another game, of that I'm certain. Russel Wilson will bring Seattle eternal perfection! I think you need to go adjust your attitude dude! :sarcasm_off:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• no I would be ok with 7-1, even 6-2 depending on the schedule and the teams we lost to. Obviously 8-0 is the benchmark but we cant get greedy here. If we expect to be a superbowl contender we need to win At Least 6 home games and be more than great on the road.
    Check out My Seahawks Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8
    FreshlySnipes
    NET Starter

• The people saying 8-0 at home should be expected are drastically underestimating the variance of NFL games. If we are 90% to win each home game, we would be less than 50% to go 8-0 in those games. And 90% is a ridiculous over-estimation for how likely we are to win each game. A 90% favorite to win translates to a 17 point favorite in Vegas which is incredibly rare. From 2000 to 2011, there were a total of 13 NFL games where one team was favored by 17 or more. If you say we are 75% to win (translates to 8.5 point favorites) the 49ers and Saints games and 90% to win the others, we would be less than 30% to go 8-0 at home. If you say we are on average 80% to win each home game (translates to 10.5 point favorites), we would be less than 17% to go 8-0 at home.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• FreshlySnipes wrote:no I would be ok with a superbowl.

Hey, Snipes, did you finish your research project?
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• jewhawk wrote:The people saying 8-0 at home should be expected are drastically underestimating the variance of NFL games. If we are 90% to win each home game, we would be less than 50% to go 8-0 in those games. And 90% is a ridiculous over-estimation for how likely we are to win each game. A 90% favorite to win translates to a 17 point favorite in Vegas which is incredibly rare. From 2000 to 2011, there were a total of 13 NFL games where one team was favored by 17 or more. If you say we are 75% to win (translates to 8.5 point favorites) the 49ers and Saints games and 90% to win the others, we would be less than 30% to go 8-0 at home. If you say we are on average 80% to win each home game (translates to 10.5 point favorites), we would be less than 17% to go 8-0 at home.

Interesting take. I am curious where you get these percentages. I have never seen vegas lines equated that way.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:
    jewhawk wrote:The people saying 8-0 at home should be expected are drastically underestimating the variance of NFL games. If we are 90% to win each home game, we would be less than 50% to go 8-0 in those games. And 90% is a ridiculous over-estimation for how likely we are to win each game. A 90% favorite to win translates to a 17 point favorite in Vegas which is incredibly rare. From 2000 to 2011, there were a total of 13 NFL games where one team was favored by 17 or more. If you say we are 75% to win (translates to 8.5 point favorites) the 49ers and Saints games and 90% to win the others, we would be less than 30% to go 8-0 at home. If you say we are on average 80% to win each home game (translates to 10.5 point favorites), we would be less than 17% to go 8-0 at home.

Interesting take. I am curious where you get these percentages. I have never seen vegas lines equated that way.

http://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/nfl/
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• Thanks.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:
    FreshlySnipes wrote:no I would be ok with a superbowl.

Hey, Snipes, did you finish your research project?

Hope to get the info from the court sometime this week
    Check out My Seahawks Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8
    FreshlySnipes
    NET Starter

• Going back to two years ago,how long is the current home winning streak?I am wondering if we are close to a club record?
    Canhawks
    NET Rookie

• Looking back,we lost our last home game of the previous season,so the streak stands at 8.
    Canhawks
    NET Rookie

• jewhawk wrote:The people saying 8-0 at home should be expected are drastically underestimating the variance of NFL games. If we are 90% to win each home game, we would be less than 50% to go 8-0 in those games. And 90% is a ridiculous over-estimation for how likely we are to win each game. A 90% favorite to win translates to a 17 point favorite in Vegas which is incredibly rare. From 2000 to 2011, there were a total of 13 NFL games where one team was favored by 17 or more. If you say we are 75% to win (translates to 8.5 point favorites) the 49ers and Saints games and 90% to win the others, we would be less than 30% to go 8-0 at home. If you say we are on average 80% to win each home game (translates to 10.5 point favorites), we would be less than 17% to go 8-0 at home.

Alright Spock! You convinced me. Full warp speed, this teams going undefeated in 2013!!!!!!
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information