Car Max?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Car Max?
Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am
  • Anybody had experience with them? Are they any good to buy from?
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Re: Car Max?
Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm
  • Whachagonna buy Rasta?

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Used car lots are used car lots.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm
  • Never bought from them, feel I can negotiate a better price elsewhere.

Have sold them 2 vehicles without buying. They offered better than I could get as a trade-in and it was a simple transaction.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Whachagonna buy Rasta?

You know how I roll - top o line lady pleezin' playa mobile 8)

So..... probably a white or silver Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. My wife's Mini Van is killing us on gas. I need something that gets at least 30 mpg highway.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:Never bought from them, feel I can negotiate a better price elsewhere.

Have sold them 2 vehicles without buying. They offered better than I could get as a trade-in and it was a simple transaction.

Hmmm I wonder if they'd give me a decent trade for our gas guzzling mini van. I will have to give it a go.

BTW prob my first time buying foreign. Always owned American! I might even end up with a Taurus or Fusion it all depends on the price. As much as I love the Chargers but holy crap they are very expensive!
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 pm
  • So you are looking for a sedan. If that is the case you are already on the right track. I am going to invest in a new crossover/small SUV with a 4 banger. Good mileage and new. Tired of driving old crap.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Ford's are getting high ratings for a few years now. Just sayin

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 am
  • Largent80 wrote:So you are looking for a sedan. If that is the case you are already on the right track. I am going to invest in a new crossover/small SUV with a 4 banger. Good mileage and new. Tired of driving old crap.

if you are looking new(er) you have to drive the impreza sport wagon. I damn near bought that car when I was looking about a month ago, but I really didn't want a hatch after being in a GTI for 15 years. great, great driving machine.

edit: Rasta, If you are looking at econobox cars, i just bought a Lancer GTS and I'd say its worth a test drive at least. Im getting 300 plus miles a tank and i don't even drive on the freeway.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:10 am
  • Those Lancers look pretty slick. Might have to take a closer look. But I can't take my eyes off the Chargers though. I am trying to talk myself out of it. Been looking at the Passat's too but VW's are notorious for higher priced replacement parts and service.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Tired of driving old crap.

Tell me about it. I have a '99 and an '02. Both have cassette players! My wife's is an '06 and that's the one killing us. I think I've held out long enough. Time for something new.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:29 am
  • I have 3 payments left on my bike, and was thinking what to do with the extra money every month, well?.... :lol:

But I need something big enough to fit my drum kit in without being too big. I have been eyeing the Hyundai Santa Fe, or the Forester....any other ideas?

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:58 am
  • Actually I was at Consumer Reports and am looking at all the small SUV's, the Ford Escape looks and sounds pretty nice.

Crap, maybe I should do what Houstonhawk said and get a chevy SS.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:28 am
  • By the way, I saw a piece on ABC evening news about Carfax, and how they found that a vehicle they said had never been in a wreck , had indeed been in a wreck so don't believe that B.S.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 am
  • Fords are the best cars on the market.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:01 am
  • I bought my Jeep from carmax in 2009. It has been a very nice addition with one major problem. The transmission failed after 18 months. But I don't blame carmax at all. I failed to have an independent mechanic look it over before buying. Lesson learned. I was outside my warranty so the repair fell on me. But all in all I had a good experience and I'm still in the jeep. So I would buy from them again.
    Allseahawk
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 am
  • rastahawk wrote:Those Lancers look pretty slick. Might have to take a closer look. But I can't take my eyes off the Chargers though. I am trying to talk myself out of it. Been looking at the Passat's too but VW's are notorious for higher priced replacement parts and service.

Thanks, I dig the looks as well. I had super good luck with my VW, even bolted a supercharger on it for a while, but when the repairs started, they came in waves. I had my car in the shop 4 times in 2012 and when I had to take it back in Feb. I was looking at plugs, wires, and coil to the tune of $1200 bucks. Thats when I bailed. Now I can change a spark plug, but if you ever tried to work on a VR6 you would rather pay someone else to do it. Changing the water pump? Drop the engine. Might be better on the Passat since its a much bigger car, but I doubt it.

Stay away from the Chargers. If you go look at them, you will end up wanting the SRT and those are running big bucks. Dang fine looking car. I started out my search driving the new Dart, loaded with options that is a pretty nice car too.

anyhoo, not an auto writer or anything but here is my story from last month...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65464
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Carmax is a decent place to buy a car if you a) don't know what you want and need a good selection, or b) you know exactly what you want, but the car you want is hard to find. What I mean by that is somewhere in the current or remote lot, your car probably exists. If it's not on your local lot, they have a pretty reasonable (free, maybe?) price to bring it to you - without a requirement to buy it first.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 am
  • Car Max: High prices with no wiggling or haggling. Limited finance options requiring high down payments. Too many overhead costs and mouths to feed. Vehicles purchased at auctions and quickly run through the shop to seal leaks and detail them. Mechanics in their shops are dealership rejects who smoke too much weed on lunch breaks. Company policies dictate EVERYTHING personnel do and canned responses to every question.

Buy your used cars from a mainstream new-car dealership off their trade-in lots. Go to a Lexus, Range Rover, Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes (et al) dealership and look at what the affluent types have traded in to get into one of the more expensive luxury vehicles. Affluent clients tend to keep MUCH better care of their vehicles than the average person. Cars/trucks traded in by folks who never have had a problem coming up with the cash to fix them, are the best vehicles to find. Period.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:00 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:Car Max: High prices with no wiggling or haggling. Limited finance options requiring high down payments. Too many overhead costs and mouths to feed. Vehicles purchased at auctions and quickly run through the shop to seal leaks and detail them. Mechanics in their shops are dealership rejects who smoke too much weed on lunch breaks. Company policies dictate EVERYTHING personnel do and canned responses to every question.

Buy your used cars from a mainstream new-car dealership off their trade-in lots. Go to a Lexus, Range Rover, Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes (et al) dealership and look at what the affluent types have traded in to get into one of the more expensive luxury vehicles. Affluent clients tend to keep MUCH better care of their vehicles than the average person. Cars/trucks traded in by folks who never have had a problem coming up with the cash to fix them, are the best vehicles to find. Period.

damn....someone just laid the smackdown!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 am
  • We test drove a 2013 Ford Escape SE with the 2.0 turbo engine yesterday. Man, that machine drives awesome for what it is, and it feels like you are piloting a spaceship. We are considering pulling the trigger. Only in RED

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:Car Max: High prices with no wiggling or haggling. Limited finance options requiring high down payments. Too many overhead costs and mouths to feed. Vehicles purchased at auctions and quickly run through the shop to seal leaks and detail them. Mechanics in their shops are dealership rejects who smoke too much weed on lunch breaks. Company policies dictate EVERYTHING personnel do and canned responses to every question.

I've always found the auto industry to be highly dishonest and frustrating. It most of my experiences they are really intent on screwing you. The sad part about it all is that it constitutes a major purchase in peoples lives and yet they are hell bent on kicking you in the nuts.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:46 am

All great information, though it's fair to mention that often times, vehicles traded into high end dealerships are sold into the auction circuit, even if that dealer has a pre-owned lot. When I bought my Infiniti, I applied a similar school of thought to yours and looked around at high end dealerships for pre-owned inventory. Most of the dealerships I visited sold most of their trade-ins on the auction circuit, allowing relatively few (typically just the best of the best) to make it to the pre-owned lot. The result was a car lot filled with $25k+ rides. They were more than willing to haggle, though, as I managed to roll away with my G35 for $16,500 cash (5k under their sticker price).
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 pm
  • We are actually going through our credit union which has a service that handles all the haggling and gets the best price by FAR and at 9.8 % apr.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 am
  • From what I gather, the availability of better-maintained vehicles really depends on what is actually moving in that particular geographic region. For example, down here in Texas, pickup trucks of all makes retain their value at an incredible rate. Not the best place to by one here, but if one ventures out, you can find the exact color and options you want with ease in this market.

I'm also seeing a spike in folks finding what they are looking for on eBay Motors. Surprisingly, shipping companies that specialize in cross-country moves of vehicles are not as expensive as some would be led to believe. Several of my clients have found specific cars for very fair prices using eBay anhd will swear its the best way to go. Lots of good pictures and info posted within the listings, and the protection of strict policies favoring the buyer.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine

Remembering "The Radish" :les:
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information