Almost St. Paddy's Day!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Almost St. Paddy's Day!
Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm
  • If you can hold a grudge decades after a perceived slight, and even after the offender is six feet in the ground.

If you can hold a beer or twelve, or think you can, and that you just get funnier with each round.

If you stare at wide green fields while pissing in the wind.

If you think that fists are better than words at solving disagreements.

If you heard Danny Boy and laughed at it as a kid but now actually get wistful when you hear it as an adult.

If you've wiped your ass with the Union Jack or kissed a picture of the Pope sometime in the past calendar year.

Congratulations, I dub thee Irish for the weekend!

No, really, you have to accept the title. How else are they going to sell any corned beef? Remember first round of
    evening drinks is bumped up to 10 AM on holidays! First fight is at 11!
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Re: Almost St. Paddy's Day!
Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 pm
  • I don't need your help, I was born Irish.

:D

But thanks for the thought.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:15 pm
  • So, is that a private fight, or can anybody join?

;)

(and no, I'm not Irish)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 pm
  • I'll be cooking and hosting for 12+. I fry my cabbage in garlic and butter, other than that, it'll be very traditional.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 pm

• This English and German mutt turns Irish all month long! I freakin' love Ireland. Had so much fun there I turned green for an entire week. We've already had corned beef, boiled cabbage and potatoes at least a half dozen times this year already. If we served it every day, no one would complain for months. I'm already on my second Guinness this evening. And Irish pub music has been my Pandora station of choice since before the first.

I freakin' LOVE St. Paddy's Day!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 am
  • Riley12 wrote:If you can hold a grudge decades after a perceived slight, and even after the offender is six feet in the ground.

If you can hold a beer or twelve, or think you can, and that you just get funnier with each round.

If you stare at wide green fields while pissing in the wind.

If you think that fists are better than words at solving disagreements.

If you heard Danny Boy and laughed at it as a kid but now actually get wistful when you hear it as an adult.

If you've wiped your ass with the Union Jack or kissed a picture of the Pope sometime in the past calendar year.

Congratulations, I dub thee Irish for the weekend!

No, really, you have to accept the title. How else are they going to sell any corned beef? Remember first round of
    evening drinks is bumped up to 10 AM on holidays! First fight is at 11!

If you hate everyone who isn't Irish and half the folks who are... :thirishdrinkers:
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm
  • I went and saw Riverdance years ago and wanted to stand up and cry out "my people"! Plus the fact that nobody has a more Irish name than I and that I want to eat as much cabbage as I can with my corn beef so that I can fart on anyone English the following day, means I've been Irish for 53 years now.

Save a place at the table for us Big Willie.
    Kansashawkfan
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:29 pm
  • I'm Tom Hagen from The Godfather; "my Kraut-Mick friend". Half Irish, half German, little bit of Welsh and Scottish on the side.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 am
  • pehawk wrote:I'll be cooking and hosting for 12+. I fry my cabbage in garlic and butter, other than that, it'll be very traditional.

please tell me more of this. Doing my first beef and cabbage tomorrow. fry then boil? boil then fry?
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 am
  • Kansashawkfan wrote:I went and saw Riverdance years ago and wanted to stand up and cry out "my people"! Plus the fact that nobody has a more Irish name than I and that I want to eat as much cabbage as I can with my corn beef so that I can fart on anyone English the following day, means I've been Irish for 53 years now.

53? Still a snot nosed kid. :D

I can't really talk much. We kept track in the 70s & 80s about our name and have a copy of our Coat of Arms. According to history I guess of the 5 familys released from English prisons and sent to the place we now call Ireland have our name.(or we have theirs more like). I think Ireland and Australia both were settled that way.

But raising a family, working, camping, fishing, drag racing kind of took up our time and we never really pursued it. So I'm guilty of not even once attending the St. Paddys day parade here in Spokane. I've had corned beed and cabbage but not overly fond of it. lol Only way I like cabbage is fresh right out of the garden uncooked.

And green beer? Been to a few drinking bouts on that day and after you've seen someone throw up green that about finishes your desires in that area. Its almost as bad as having someone throw up Sloe Gin in the snow. (yep seen that in Addy, Wa. at the saturday night dance) I can tell you drunk or sober you swear to never drink that stuff for any reason.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:15 am
  • NoChops wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I'll be cooking and hosting for 12+. I fry my cabbage in garlic and butter, other than that, it'll be very traditional.

please tell me more of this. Doing my first beef and cabbage tomorrow. fry then boil? boil then fry?

Throw it in a crock pot with some sweet onions and water for 8 hours and it comes out nicely.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    NoChops wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I'll be cooking and hosting for 12+. I fry my cabbage in garlic and butter, other than that, it'll be very traditional.

Throw it in a crock pot with some sweet onions and water for 8 hours and it comes out nicely.

Rob forgot to tell you to cook it outside on your patio or something cause it will stink up your house for days/weeks.

:roll:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 am
  • Here was supper from the other day. I think for tomorrow I'm going to try the cabbage fried in garlic. That sounds so much better.

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 am
  • Largent80 wrote:
    NoChops wrote:

Cooking for Mom at her place...Love her and all, but I'm not hanging around for 8 hrs. there, lol
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 pm
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 am
  • The preparations have begun!

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 am
  • My peeps are from that veeeeery general region. Mom's folk western highland Scotland, Dad's folk from so far north Scotland they're technically Norse.... um... 'settlers'.

Which brings me around (I'm lying -straight- out my asshole, I just found this in the process) to the point of:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/st-patricks-da ... d=13157282

"1. St. Patrick, the Apostle of Ireland, was born in the year 387 at Kilpatrick, near Dumbarton. Which is in Scotland. Making Ireland's patron saint ... Scottish. As a teenager, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and enslaved as a shepherd for several years."

That, and sadly.... none care 'bout poor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Andrew%27s_Day

Guess Haggis and Bagpipes in the streets never caught on globally as well as Guiness and fist fighting.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:23 am
  • Just boil the corn beef for 2.5 hours. Dice the cabbage n fry it in butter and minced garlic. I don't add isht to the corn beef simmer. I ladel out the water after and make a cornbeef gravy.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:25 am
  • corned beef and cabbage is about as Irish as Apple pie is american.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:24 pm
  • St. Paddy's Day feast final stages. And hot damn is it delicious!

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information