New rule might hurt Beast Mode running style

General Manager

Reaction score
What about a sweep or bubble screen are we talking about only out of the back field , that's just off the top of my head there's to many damn variables JSeahawks . There really making a big mistake if this goes through.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
General Manager":3uph0yzu said:
What about a sweep or bubble screen are we talking about only out of the back field , that's just off the top of my head there's to many damn variables JSeahawks . There really making a big mistake if this goes through.

When have you ever seen a guy lead with a helmet on a sweep or a bubble screen? They use stiff arms out in the open field 95% of the time.

i really dont think this rule would have much impact at all.

General Manager

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2z9wmqch said:
General Manager":2z9wmqch said:

When have you ever seen a guy lead with a helmet on a sweep or a bubble screen? They use stiff arms out in the open field 95% of the time.

i really dont think this rule would have much impact at all.

Running backs lower there helmut out on the edge all the time they lower there helmut all the time period. RB's run threw people it's what there paid to do . This rule hopefully will not be endorsed.

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
The other thing is RB get hit in the legs casing them to lower their head as the fight to stay upright. What are they going to do next, tell the D they can't hit a stumbling RB to keep from a helmet hit from said RB?

General Manager

Reaction score
CPHawk":1dljkkyj said:
The other thing is RB get hit in the legs casing them to lower their head as the fight to sty upright. What are they going to do next, tell the d they can't hit a stumbling RB to keep from a helmet hit from said RB?

It's like asking a human being to quit breathing air to save Oxygen. It's not possible to consistantly enforce this rule or for a RB not to lower his helmut.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well look for a Pete Banazak run, he was a player that was mean running and if I remember used his head. John Riggens as well, there is a reason a running back has a bleeding scar all season from the helmet gashing his face.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
GoHawks":h15edf0j said:
Pretty sure when you lower your shoulder your head will follow . . . not rocket science - figure it out NFL

EXACTLY! your head is always ahead of your shoulders when moving forward. are they supposed to run backwards?

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Sturm":1oi58hgz said:
I think all the players need to strike until Goodell is fired and thrown out the door on his ass.
Or, all the former players need to stop suing the NFL for their "poor health" after football. It goes both ways.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
When they're done rbs are going to have to turn around and run backwards through the line with their pants down.

chris98251

Reaction score
I will have to admit things are getting way to touchy feely in the NFL. What if Boxers filed lawsuits because they got concussions and blamed the associations they fought for unsafe work conditions, or MMA fighters? I always go back to every one of them are aware that injuries happen in football, every one of them have been wearing a helmet since they started playing organized ball with the reason behind it being to "HELP" protect their head. Not guarantee protection.

firebee

Reaction score
FargoHawk":mi7wf2i1 said:
Sturm":mi7wf2i1 said:
I think all the players need to strike until Goodell is fired and thrown out the door on his ass.
Or, all the former players need to stop suing the NFL for their "poor health" after football. It goes both ways.

I agree with FargoHawk just because I think Goodell is a complete joke for an NFL Commissioner. He blew the CBA negotiations with the players and the owners off until it was too late and the season was compromised, then screwed up the start of the next season by blowing off the CBA negotiations with the refs. His unwarranted fining of players for "illegal" hits without oversight from a 3rd party was a major issue. His constant panty-waisting of the sport is sickening. The exclusive rights contract with DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket was equivalent to stepping over 10 or 20 one dollar bills in order to pick up a five dollar bill and it put a huge damper on the NFL's market exposure. The mismanagement and misuse of NFL Europe is another good example of his incompetency. Goodell has severely damaged the substance of the game and replaced it with a bunch of smoke, mirrors and fireworks. He's an idiot... pure and simple.

Anybody that plays football knows what they're risking. This is why high school players and college players have to sign forms acknowledging that the possibility of serious injury is a likely possibility, releasing the school from responsibility. Why aren't these players going back and suing their college or their high school for their poor health conditions? Because they know every football program in the country would shut down if athletes started suing the schools for poor health conditions down the road. I'm not going to pay money to watch guys play catch. Hitting is part of the sport. If the players and owners don't want to accept that as a reality and think they're going to eliminate that aspect of the game, eventually they're going to find themselves playing the game for free.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The safety-crats can do anything(!) In the name of "safety" ! Soon they will outlaw the tiny helmets and then Hans type devices will find their way in.

Axx

Reaction score
leading with the helmet or leading with the crown?
I think everyone here who has played football has it drilled inside their head to never lead with the crown regardless of position.
if by leading in with the facemask then offensive linemen do this every running play.

The Radish

Reaction score
chris98251":1ql4ix02 said:
Well look for a Pete Banazak run, he was a player that was mean running and if I remember used his head. John Riggens as well, there is a reason a running back has a bleeding scar all season from the helmet gashing his face.

Ricky Watters used his head all the time.

:les:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
What the proposal would change: A 15-yard penalty would be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Hea ... ent_stream

I still contend that this is hardly a big deal and will be called maybe 10 times a season total.

They're not saying it will be a penalty to lower your head when meeting contact. It will be a penalty to intentionally spear opposing tacklers.

Good rule.

Axx

Reaction score
JSeahawks":hr04g3n1 said:
What the proposal would change: A 15-yard penalty would be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

I still contend that this is hardly a big deal and will be called maybe 10 times a season total.

They're not saying it will be a penalty to lower your head when meeting contact. It will be a penalty to intentionally spear opposing tacklers.

Good rule.

if defensive spearing is illegal for neck injuries, then why isn't offensive spearing illegal?
This penalty would have saved us a big run in the ATL game when Jaquizz speared Earl Thomas.

General Manager

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3tw3hedw said:

Good rule.

This sounds like some ESPN mid-level management talking point.