New rule might hurt Beast Mode running style

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1q7mzpi9 said:
Emmet Smith was correct, "This rule doesn't make any sense."

Emmitt Smith probably isnt smart enough to know what the potential new rule is. Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot? It will have no effect in short yardage situations and will have no effect on beast mode since he rarely leads with his head in the open field, preferring to give monster stiff arms.

gargantual

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3cy3jyn6 said:
Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot?

Seems reminescent of what MRob did in a game (can't remember which one) where he lowered his head and just ruined a corner...and then immediately went over to see if the guy was alright, looking real concerned. Is that what they're talking about here?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
gargantual":ljpqacxm said:
JSeahawks":ljpqacxm said:
Its only for leading with the helmet when outside of the tackle box. And it makes perfect sense. Why should RB's be able to lead with the helmet when defenders cannot?

Seems reminescent of what MRob did in a game (can't remember which one) where he lowered his head and just ruined a corner...and then immediately went over to see if the guy was alright, looking real concerned. Is that what they're talking about here?

I know the play youre talking about but can't remember if M Rob led with his head or not. The play I remember is Adrian Peterson spearing Early Thomas 20 yards down the field. Pissed ET off pretty badly.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
gargantual":1869f8av said:
JSeahawks":1869f8av said:

No. The play you mentioned was a shoulder to shoulder hit on Jennings from the Bears.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I don't like the rule. The enforcement of the current helmet-to-helmet contact rule (the official name escapes me) has been inconsistent at best, and this would be no different, IMO.

gargantual

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1b293zgl said:
gargantual":1b293zgl said:
JSeahawks":1b293zgl said:

No. The play you mentioned was a shoulder to shoulder hit on Jennings from the Bears.
Yup, that's the one. Da Bears game last year.

I coulda sworn he lowered his head and hit with his helmet. (It made such an impression that maybe my mind was getting it mixed up with that Tatupu hit in the NFCC Game, which was a helmet to helmet cruncher!).

Of course any way getting hit by Michael Robinson would be devastating to take!

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Running backs are going to look so STUPID running around with their bodies straight up and down.

If this passes, I will have lost all hope for the future of the NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's spearing with your helmet not lowering your shoulders, using the crown of your helmet as a weapon type hit. If your lower your shoulders your head will follow and hit somwhere but not the noticable head dip to use the headbutt.

All that being said in a moment of impact I'm sure the officials will screw this up more then get it right.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Rog and the owners - as good as the game has been to them - what a bunch of scared little boys.

They're so afraid of litigation they'll diminish the NFL until it's unrecognizable. No backbone. No line in the sand. I wish this would come back and bite them somehow, but they're too busy making money hand over to fist to care.

themunn

Reaction score
Basically they want RBs to run like they want defenders to tackle - ie. no leading with the head, which is fine by me. I hate seeing running backs do to wannabee tacklers exactly what they're not allowed to do to the running backs.

Fortunately Lynch doesn't run like that, he puts his head down and runs but he'll never use it to take a defender out (physically, mentally he takes defenders out all the time)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This rule better not be passed. How is the running back supposed to protect himself if he has to keep his head up and be exposed to shots under the chin?

It makes no sense!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":18ofc4xz said:
This rule better not be passed. How is the running back supposed to protect himself if he has to keep his head up and be exposed to shots under the chin?

It makes no sense!

You know how you make people stop leading with their head? Get rid of the helmets. Self preservation instincts will kick in.

As iconic as the football helmet has become to the sport, it has caused (imo) just as many injuries as it has ever prevented.

Largent80

Reaction score
So, they are saying the running back should stop and say, you silly savage, you can tackle me after the game? Pathetic does not even describe this.

General Manager

Reaction score
JSeahawks":l5vt4jl8 said:
They were talking about this on the radio the other day. It would only be in effect when the runner is outside of the tackle box. So would not be in effect on 3rd and 4th adn short situations or when running between the tackles.

They're talking about plays like when Adrian Peterson speared Earl Thomas last year. I think its a good rule personally. And would not effect Beast Mode at all.

Weak and lame.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[youtube]TsegJVLrmk8[/youtube]

I think this is more in line with their intentions.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Basis4day":df19dgae said:
[youtube]TsegJVLrmk8[/youtube]

I think this is more in line with their intentions.

That was in the tackle box so would be allowed within the rules, from what I understand.