Flynn likely to be back

RichNhansom

Reaction score
With the additions we have made this year, I could very easily see some scenario's where Flynn gets some playing time even with Wilson healthy. If we are blowing teams out and they want to show case Flynn, when would be a better time?
Also with (like said) Kolb and Fitz available for no draft picks, I don't see a scenario where teams go after him and hypothetically if we did get a suiter, would Kolb or Fitz want to come here?

I originally thought a trade would happen but now I am more doubtful. I also cannot envision him being outright released because (again like said) after signing a different backup, we would break even to downgrade the position. I suspect he will spend one more year as a back up and Pete will try and get him some playing time. If we are successful show casing him, we could possibly still swing a trade next year. This has just been a strange year.

It would helpful if the current class of QB's all suck.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's simple: you discreetly put it out there that you will take offers, but plan on keeping him for the most part (ie: not getting cut).

If the right offer comes along, you trade him. If not, you keep him and you have some of the best insurance in the league. This doesn't look like a very deep draft for QBs and I highly doubt we find a backup capable of winning any games next year coming from the college ranks.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Wait... You mean we weren't able to trade Flynn to the Jets for Revis and a first? But it made sense to "Me"!!!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
OP is a little deceiving, given that this is just speculation by a dude.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":13yugjt4 said:
Wait... You mean we weren't able to trade Flynn to the Jets for Revis and a first? But it made sense to "Me"!!!

The "Flynn for Fitzgerald straight up" talk was the best I remember from the last couple months.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think they are ready to hang on to Flynn for another year, but Schneider has said they'll listen to teams that are "aggressive" with their offer.

The signing of Cassell at 4million a year to compete for a starters spot is close enough too Flynn's contract for teams looking for a player who at least still has that possible upside factor of being a winning QB. If I was the Jaguars I'd consider making a move for Flynn. I think the Hawks for love a 3 rd pick but might settle for a 4th (or conditional pick next year to a team after the draft if Seattle drafts a rookie QB they like.)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seriously, does anyone think it would have taken much for the Vikings to talk Seattle into throwing in Flynn as part of the Harvin deal? Their absolute lack of interest in him has to speak volumes about his perceived value around the league. They just signed Matt freakin' Cassell for close to the same money. They are desperate for depth at QB and still weren't interested.

Honestly, I thought some team would have interest in making Flynn their starter, but I'm finding that increasingly harder to believe. IMO, he plays out next year and gets cut before his salary balloons.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I am inclined to think they don't really want to move unless its a great offer. They are looking at '13 as a go for it year. Would they have released Portis if they were moving him? They still would need to sign a backup at 2-3 million.

Ruminator

Reaction score
With all the committed dedication to nonstop improvement we hear about RW, it makes me curious what Flynn has been doing so far this offseason. It appears likely that he will be a Seahawk for at least one more season, and I think that's good, but where is he right now and what is he doing? Knowing the way Pete motivates his players to excel, I imagine Flynn is diligently working hard, working out, studying, and practicing, but it would be kind of cool/reassuring to hear a thing or two -- specifics -- about our #2 QB doing that from time to time, knowing that hey, it's suddenly all on his shoulders whenever RW can't go, and those times we have 70-point leads in the 3rd. I'm guessing he's totally all-out preparing for his second year with Seattle... but I haven't heard anything.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
razor150":2ozd8f1z said:
Hawkfan77":2ozd8f1z said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2ozd8f1z said:
Nice gig for him... earning $7.25m to do barely anything.

He must be resigned to being a career backup by now. When this contract ends he'll be 30. Wonder if they offer him an extra year to spread out some of this salary?
According to Schneider that's not the case. Said that while Flynn is a great teammate he wants to be a starter somewhere. Said Flynn isn't satisfied with being a backup.

Any QB, any player in fact, worth having isn't satisfied being a back up. Any player satisfied being a back up should be sent packing fast.

Then why would a QB ever sign to be a backup for a franchise QB like Brady, Manning, or Rodgers?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Someone above mentioned this and I fully agree: Flynn will definitely see playing time this year. Perhaps the equivalent of 3 games (all 4th qtr). We are going to blow teams out. Of this I am certain. I won't be shocked if this offense avgs 30+ per game and won't be stunned if our D avgs 3.5.

With the above in mind, PC needs to get Flynn some real mintutes. Screw the feelings of the other team....when he's in the game we need to showcase him and you can't do that handing the ball to Turbin. When JS says "Flynn is unhappy, wants to start in this league"...of course he does and JS would be foolish to put out any other msg to prospective suiters. He's sure as heck not going to say "Matt Flynn is making a fortune and has reported he hopes to never strap on a jock again". I think Matt understands he can't do any better (this year) than what he's doing now. I sincerely doubt he's going to walk around with his head down. Life is good for us, life is better for him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Does anyone truly think a quarter here or there in a blow out win against a demoralised defense is going to be enough to convince a team, "this is our guy"?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":kotopc62 said:
Does anyone truly think a quarter here or there in a blow out win against a demoralised defense is going to be enough to convince a team, "this is our guy"?

You know, Rob...I know you say you're just pointing out the facts, but the sheer number of times you reinforce your opinion and the sheer number of people you argue with really does make it look like you have a vested interest in a certain outcome. Just sayin'.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Its possible that instead of no one being interested in Flynn that JS is telling the truth that they value him and won't give him up for peanuts. They may be asking for a 1 which no one wants to give up. It does not necissarily mean everyone sees him as worthless. I still could see him getting traded on draft day but I don't find it likely because I think JS and Pete want a good back up as they view this as a big year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bnk8ig6 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3bnk8ig6 said:

You know, Rob...I know you say you're just pointing out the facts, but the sheer number of times you reinforce your opinion and the sheer number of people you argue with really does make it look like you have a vested interest in a certain outcome. Just sayin'.

I do. It's a little known fact that if Matt Flynn makes the 2013 roster then I have to sell my wife for three camels and a rug.

Seriously, I do have a vested interest. I really, really, really want our backup to be just 'a guy'. I've never rated Flynn and I think he's made a reputation out of one game against Detroit. We've all debated ad nauseum about the QB situation... from Whitehurst to Hasselbeck to whoever and then when they actually find a franchise guy we're still talking about the backup and his large salary etc. And I can't wait for the day the only QB we talk about is the guy who's probably going to win this teams first ever Super Bowl.

And I'm not going to hide that I have a vested interest. I think he's a mediocre average QB earning $7.25m to do very little. I don't think we'll ever be able to trade him and we're counting down to the day he's either cut or re-works his deal. Which seems likely in 2014 at the latest.

Uffda

Reaction score
Could see them using him as part of package during the draft.

godawg

Reaction score
We brought Flynn in to replace TJ, so why wouldn't Buffalo want to do the same thing?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think it's smart to keep Flynn unless we can get 3rd round value. Right now we have a large advantege over SF in the fact is we suffer a QB injury for a week or two we have a QB who most would feel confident in winning those games for us. If RW did get hurt and we had a typical rookie and lost 1 or 2 games because of them that could keep us out of the playoffs or home field advantage.

Despite the cap space we'd gain from trading Flynn the risk is not worth anything less than a 3rd. Only way i'm happy is if we could make a trade with a later one of our picks for another teams backup QB.