I know you are all giddy, but...

SirTed

Reaction score
How much of our deficiency against the run in the second half of the year (we were stout to start the year) do you put on Red's injury? And are there indications that he can go back to being the same ol' run stuffing Red? I definitely agree that resigning Branch is a good idea, but I think that if we can get back to "the status quo" from last year, assuming Red is healthy, that will be more than enough.

thoughts?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I agree, one more starting caliber DT is needed and we are pretty much set. That position is too important and too difficult to rely on a non first round rookie on a superbowl capable team. Of course it is possible that a rookie could do it, but the odds are against it. At this point I am totally good with bringing Branch back

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":14eqf7ob said:
To be fair to the Hawks, the only people who can truly stop SF's power running game, is Roman and Harbaugh. Its just that good, and that line is too invested in. You stop that by scoring, period.
Good point and I agree which is why I was hoping for Tavon Austin in the draft before Percy Harvin materialized. That's 2 regular season games that the Hawks plan to show no mercy with Percy. Still, aim to slow down that SF run game and/or try to make them one-dimensional. Tough task, but the Hawks can do it. There's other teams to game plan for as well and not overlook in terms of run defense.

Boiler

Reaction score
It sounds like they are working to re-sign Branch:

With Bennett, Avril and Percy Harvin in the fold, Schneider said the Seahawks now will focus on securing their own free agents, which include defensive tackle Alan Branch, linebacker Leroy Hill, cornerback Marcus Trufant, kicker Steven Hauschka and offensive lineman Frank Omiyale.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/1 ... l=Seahawks#storylink=cpy

DJrmb

Reaction score
3.6 YPC given up with healthy Big Red in the 1st half of the season, 5.1 YPC the second half when Red was injured

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think they could take a look at something like this from time to time if we don't bring Branch back:

Base/running downs:
Bennett Mebane Bryant Avril

3rd down/pass rush:
Irvin Bennett Meban Avril

Something a lot of people are overlooking with the Bennett signing is that he was one of the best run defenders in the league as well. Why waste that skill set?

kf3339

Reaction score
ivotuk":c36y5oaj said:
I read somewhere that Richard Seymour held up well against the run before he got hurt.

I would think at this point in his career he may want a chance for one more ring. He could play the Jason Jones role this year to spell Branch (if he resigns). Not sure if he could be an every down player, but for a 1-2 year veteran minimum contract I would get him.

JKent82

Reaction score
Boiler":2i53hq06 said:

With Bennett, Avril and Percy Harvin in the fold, Schneider said the Seahawks now will focus on securing their own free agents, which include defensive tackle Alan Branch, linebacker Leroy Hill, cornerback Marcus Trufant, kicker Steven Hauschka and offensive lineman Frank Omiyale.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/03/1 ... l=Seahawks#storylink=cpy

I think that means we are trading for Suh and signing a few more FA's.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2zxryxeb said:
Our run defense up the middle is still not right. That is a defect a handful of teams can exploit. San Francisco can still push our guys around with their offensive line if they make it a game priority.

Re-signing Branch would retain last year's status quo, which was only OK the last half of the year. I am open it ideas that improve Branch's spot, but don't say rookie. What veterans can upgrade Branch's run stopping spot?
Dude, you are harshing my Hawks induced buzz!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Boiler":295tzafd said:

Honestly, given who's out there and available on the market right now ... I'd have to say that's probably the smart move. I would have said that William Hayes was a guy that was worth bringing in, as he is a very good run defender and I believe that you could play him at DT. The problem is that the Rams thought that too as they re-signed him 3 days ago.

So, outside of Vance Walker and our own Alan Branch ... I'm not entirely sure that there is a whole lot of other good options out there in the FA Market. Re-signing Branch then has to be the primary focus right now and would make the most sense.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
volsunghawk":fkl1hxnf said:
Scottemojo":fkl1hxnf said:
Our run defense up the middle is still not right. That is a defect a handful of teams can exploit. San Francisco can still push our guys around with their offensive line if they make it a game priority.

Re-signing Branch would retain last year's status quo, which was only OK the last half of the year. I am open it ideas that improve Branch's spot, but don't say rookie. What veterans can upgrade Branch's run stopping spot?

Roy Miller is a young option. He was part of Tampa's impressive run D last season. But he's ONLY a run stopper. He's got zero to offer as far as pass rush.

Sen'Derrick Marks might be an option, and he offers some pass rush, as well.

Leger Douzable of the Titans. Went on IR last year, but was reportedly a versatile, rotational run stopper.

Trevor Laws joined the Rams last season on a one-year deal and then ended up on IR before leaving camp. Hard to know if he's healthy, but he's more of a run guy than a rush guy.

So I guess there's a few options. Not sure if any of them are really great, though.
Thank you. I will take a closer look at these names.

mikeak

Reaction score
JKent82":2h2g68op said:
Boiler":2h2g68op said:

I think that means we are trading for Suh and signing a few more FA's.

LMAO -- I seriously would love Suh and then sign Dawson as kicker

Off we go :)

JKent82

Reaction score
JKent82":2efqdbtd said:
Sedrick Ellis anyone?

Nevermind. After a short bit of research, he's not much of a run defender anyways.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ubdamrvd said:

I had this same thought, and that's why I had us taking Sylvester Williams at #56 in my latest "what I think will happen" mock draft. Williams is a very similar player to Brandon Mebane (though more well rounded as a pass rusher), who made an immediate impact for us in 2007 and 2008.

kearly

Reaction score
DJrmb":3jscywwc said:
3.6 YPC given up with healthy Big Red in the 1st half of the season, 5.1 YPC the second half when Red was injured

The Cardinals, 49ers, and Rams all ran better against us in the 1st half of the year than during the second half of the year.

The reason for the awful second half was because our defense has historically struggled against ultra quick RBs and WRs. We faced much quicker RBs in the second half of the year. AP, Spiller, Bush, etc.