Jamie Collins: possible LEO?

seahawks875

Reaction score

kearly

Reaction score
Reminds me a little of Cornelius Washington. Great combine, but on tape there is no intensity or physicality. And I'm not sure you can coach that. Seattle wants competitors, and these guys just don't give me that vibe. Collins seems finesse even by 3-4 OLB standards, and might have to convert to 4-3 LB as a late round pick.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Really? Finesse? Depends on what you mean by that. Nevertheless, he may be the player that the Hawks could actually use as an athletic 4-3 OLB. Perhaps that he's athletic, played QB in high school? If that's what it's about, I'm not necessarily against individual finesse as long as the overall team defense is not. Seems like it's a rare thing to find the tough hitters who can do it all- often coverage skills are sacrificed. Collins has gotten a ton of attention. "He can drop into coverage" (thought that was one of the "needs" to improve upon - that LeRoy Hill didn't do very well?), "He is 6'-4", 245, but can move like a RB" "One of the best linebackers in the draft class (on athletic potential)" In 2012: caused 4 fumbles, knocked down 5 passes. Even if one wants to point out anything "unconventional" - the Hawks like unconventional players. I would be more interested in getting the best pure talent- players who will be effective. The tape is important, but I think what coaches say about players the scouts are seeing factors in even more. If it doesn't add up... it doesn't add up and they move along. But, that's not what scouts are doing. At least 10 teams are "intrigued."
I agree with the OP that he is an intriguing prospect specifically for the Seahawks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_4GBjz54E
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... genpos=OLB

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":1trd0v1r said:
might have to convert to 4-3 LB as a late round pick.

I can't imagine Mike Mayock thinks of Collins as a late round prospect.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... t-rankings

cbs sports (2-3 round pick) http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... s/2013/OLB

round 3, #74 here: http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_3.php (though, I'm not a fan of this site)

Not sure what others consider "late round"? 4/5 - 7?

I would be with some of these sites and projections saying that Collins will be drafted more in the 2-3 round area.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
If they draft him obviously theyd have their reasons, but id rather see john simon. He has the intensity i think collins lacks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He lacks intensity. His get off on the snap is really actually poor. He doesn't distinguish himself at all to me.

I don't see him as even as good a prospect as Quanterus Smith. You can catch the game between WKU and So. Miss and judge for yourself. He doesn't explode off the snap, or have any appreciable closing burst. He's really just a guy. Quanterus shows good technique and ability to get free and then burst into space to suddenly close on a back/QB.

He may have that kind of grade. But I look at him and I don't see a special guy. I want to, because his measurables are good. But he's just an average guy who can't really get through opponents.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Agree with Attyla on this one. I went into watching him with optimism and high hopes. Came away completely underwhelmed. Athleticism doesn't show up on film to me at all. Doesn't look to have a great football IQ or instincsts at all. Gave him a 7th/UDFA grade myself....a lot better olb prospects in a deep olb class. Now watch the hawks take him in the 4th and he becomes a monster and makes me look like an idiot lol.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":3rp1x89x said:
Now watch the hawks take him in the 4th and he becomes a monster and makes me look like an idiot lol.

Honestly, if you do this, you kind of have to do it with a baseball hitters' mindset. You're going to look foolish. A lot. More so than you look smart. Lucky for me, I don't mind looking like an idiot.

Just know that we don't have a complete picture here. We don't talk to them. We don't see the quality of tape or quantity of it. We don't have any insight or ability to forecast post draft development.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1y845ekr said:
pcbball12":1y845ekr said:
Now watch the hawks take him in the 4th and he becomes a monster and makes me look like an idiot lol.

Honestly, if you do this, you kind of have to do it with a baseball hitters' mindset. You're going to look foolish. A lot. More so than you look smart. Lucky for me, I don't mind looking like an idiot.

Just know that we don't have a complete picture here. We don't talk to them. We don't see the quality of tape or quantity of it. We don't have any insight or ability to forecast post draft development.
I hear ya man. I do it because I love it honestly, and not too bad at it either. Takes a lot of time and effort as I am sure you can attest to (even though it is just something I do as a hobby). It is very gratifying when you watch 100 plus prospects and see where they go and how they pan out. I have been wrong a TON of times lol but have been right a number too....that is what makes it so fun. As for Jamie Collins, along with you I just cannot see it from film alone.