Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Overrated Movies
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

The Matrix
Juno
Gladiator
Titanic
The Dark Knight

Post subject: Re: Overrated Movies
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

WTF? Like, two of those are overrated. Juno and Avatar are the two I'd say, even though I did like Avatar quite a bit.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

RolandDeschain wrote:
WTF? Like, two of those are overrated. Juno and Avatar are the two I'd say, even though I did like Avatar quite a bit.

Exactly. People love those movies. Those movies are a lot of people's favorite movies of all time. I thought they were all ok, pretty good. None of them were bad, I just didn't think they were great. Hence, overrated.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

I'll be shocked if most people here don't disagree with you on Gladiator, The Dark Knight, and The Matrix. I certainly do.

I also disagree with you on Titanic. Yes, I'm a guy, and a straight one at that; but I admit that I like the movie Titanic. Bash me all you want, I don't like it for the love story in it, but just overall it's incredibly well done and widely considered to be a very accurate depiction of the actual sinking of the ship in real life. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I do like the movie Titanic and don't think it's overrated. I'll probably get flayed for saying this, but whatever, I'm secure enough with myself to admit it.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:24 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

RolandDeschain wrote:
I'll be shocked if most people here don't disagree with you on Gladiator, The Dark Knight, and The Matrix. I certainly do.

I also disagree with you on Titanic. Yes, I'm a guy, and a straight one at that; but I admit that I like the movie Titanic. Bash me all you want, I don't like it for the love story in it, but just overall it's incredibly well done and widely considered to be a very accurate depiction of the actual sinking of the ship in real life. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I do like the movie Titanic and don't think it's overrated. I'll probably get flayed for saying this, but whatever, I'm secure enough with myself to admit it.

When I saw Titanic in the theater with a girl I thought it was pretty good. I watched it a 2nd time at home a year or 2 later and I thought it was not nearly as good. It was good on the big screen but had very little replay value. It's one of the highest grossing films of all time. Hence, overrated.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

That's where we'll differ, then; which is fine. I liked it the last time I saw it, which was admittedly a few years ago, but I think it stands up under repeat viewings. It's definitely one of the "most necessary to see on the big screen" films ever, though. The sheer size and scope of everything in the film pretty much demands it.

I think the radio massively overplaying Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" following the release of the film, for YEARS, has a lot to do with the negativity associated with the film, though. I don't think there has ever been a more overplayed song in the history of mankind.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

I read a book about the Titanic when I was 8 and have been obsessed since with the real story.. I loved the movie because of how accurate and detailed it was.. It panders to people like me. An example.. Jack steals a coat in the movie.. The proper owner was a real passenger. In the scene he steals it in the background you see a boy playing with a top , his dad looking on. That's based on a real photograph from the Titanic (by someone who got off in Cherbourg). The baker stepping off the stern as it submerges.. That happened. The car Jake and Rose have sex in? That car existed.. There was a car in the hold. I could go on and on... Awesome detail.

Anyway. Over rated movies?
I will volunteer to be stoned now with Roland.. I think Pulp Fiction is over rated.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 am 
* NET Starfish *

Vetamur wrote:

I will volunteer to be stoned now with Roland.. I think Pulp Fiction is over rated.

I love Pulp Fiction. Not my favorite Tarantino movie, but a very good one. It is overrated, however, I'll agree with that. People put it up there with the greatest films of all time, and it's not in the discussion.

I think memento is overrated. I expect to get flamed for that, but there it is. Everyone kept telling me what an amazing movie it is, but I thought it was just ok. Same with Super Troopers. Didn't think it was that funny.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

I'll agree with Peaches that Memento is overrated. While I throw stones at Veta over Pulp Fiction. :D

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Vetamur wrote:

I love Pulp Fiction. Not my favorite Tarantino movie, but a very good one. It is overrated, however, I'll agree with that. People put it up there with the greatest films of all time, and it's not in the discussion.

I think memento is overrated. I expect to get flamed for that, but there it is. Everyone kept telling me what an amazing movie it is, but I thought it was just ok. Same with Super Troopers. Didn't think it was that funny.

You take that back about Super Troopers! Only 49er fans don't love that movie...

*edited for language, forgot this wasn't the shack :oops:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am 
NET Veteran

Pulp Fiction is an awesome movie, so I don't know what you dunderheads are talking about.

Scarface is an overrated movie.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 am 
* NET Philistine *

12evanf wrote:

Scarface is an overrated movie.

Agreed a hundred times.

It's a Wonderful Life. What a lousy, saccharine, melodramatic waste of time. When people ask what you mean by first world problems, just show them this film. Oh, poor me, I have a beautiful wife, but my brother gets to see the world, I own a business, but my brother's a war hero, I'm in a town with a rich douchebag who stole the money I put in my alcoholic uncle's hands....let me go kill myself. Give me a break.

Titanic is 1 hour good 6 hours boring. Sure, it's got lots of cool details. Would have been nice if the same level of attention was paid to the story. *cues Honest Trailers voice* Meet Jack, an unrealistically sexy peasant... *insert the-editing-room*... who's really James Cameron's avatar

I agree with Zeb about the Dark Knight. Great spectacle, Ledger is great, but it really falls apart if you pay attention to it, and once you notice the gaping holes, they don't go away. Same problem with TDKR.

I'm trying to remember what other 'good' movies made me physically angry for watching. I'm sure someone else will mention one.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

You're nuts if you think The Dark Knight suffers from the same problems The Dark Knight Rises has. Way too much crammed into the latter, and it broke the movie. The Dark Knight is great.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 am 
NET Veteran

I always thought the Godfather trilogy was overrated.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Agree on Scarface.
Inception.
Every Batman movie since the first with Keaton.
There Will Be Blood.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

RolandDeschain wrote:
You're nuts if you think The Dark Knight suffers from the same problems The Dark Knight Rises has. Way too much crammed into the latter, and it broke the movie. The Dark Knight is great.

To me, Dark Knight suffers from silly-ness and too many Harvey Dent monologues. We get it, you make your own luck.

If not for Ledger, that film isn't nearly as well regarded, imo. For a movie that wants to be realistic, it requires a ton of suspension-of-belief.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Absolut, I don't disagree, but your points all go for triple in the final film of the series; there's just no way #3 is equivalent to #2.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am 
* NET Philistine *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Absolut, I don't disagree, but your points all go for triple in the final film of the series; there's just no way #3 is equivalent to #2.

Scumbag Roland:

Calls person nuts for pointing out issues.

Backhandedly agrees in following posts.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Huh? I agree that Ledger made #2 in a lot of ways. I'm still saying that #3 had way too much garbage crammed into it and didn't do anything to make you care about any of the new characters, so it felt far less complete in a lot of ways. You're mixing up what I'm agreeing and disagreeing with, Sarlacc.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am 
* Smackmeister *

You can cross the Matrix and Gladiator off of your list.

Those movies are still amazing.

I remember walking into the theater to watch Gladiator and passing a friend of mine who was coming out. I asked him how it was and he said "If you have testicles, you will love this movie."

We can argue about whether or not I have testicles until we're blue in the balls, but I'll be damned if I didn't love that movie.

The Matrix has been soured a bit due to the ridiculous amount of copycatism that it has garnered, but it is far from over rated...faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am 
* NET Starfish *

Sarlacc83 wrote:
RolandDeschain wrote:

Scumbag Roland:

Calls person nuts for pointing out issues.

Backhandedly agrees in following posts.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Huh? I agree that Ledger made #2 in a lot of ways. I'm still saying that #3 had way too much garbage crammed into it and didn't do anything to make you care about any of the new characters, so it felt far less complete in a lot of ways. You're mixing up what I'm agreeing and disagreeing with, Sarlacc.

3 is worse than 2, I agree. But that doesn't change that I think 2 is far more overrated. I don't think many people look at 3 as a great movie

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 am 
NET Veteran

Star Wars......all of them :D

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:03 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

m0ng0 wrote:
Star Wars......all of them :D

Super overrated. I mean, they broke a lot of new ground technologically, and I think that for the late 70's/early 80's Lucas did about all you could hope for in a sci-fi/fantasy/space opera, but as films in the grand scheme of films? They're overrated. They're my favorite movies of all time though.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm 
NET Veteran

I like a lot of the movies people here think are overrated. I do like Juno, but I could see how it can be overrated, as the teenage girl does seem too mature for her age. I think Diablo (didn't Diablo Cody write it?) projected too much adult wisdom into her teen girl character that it at times suspends belief.

Loved Gladiator, still do. And I agree about Titanic, I expected it to be a chic flick but was pleasantly surprised and I actually really like that movie and have seen it quite a few times.

Avatar is overrated. It was better than I thought it would be, but it wasn't a great movie either.

Some Like It Hot. I saw it for the first time a few months ago and I honestly thought Marilyn Monroe was overrated. I guess compared to today's standards she seems so average in that movie.

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:22 pm 
NET Veteran

MLOhawks wrote:
I like a lot of the movies people here think are overrated. I do like Juno, but I could see how it can be overrated, as the teenage girl does seem too mature for her age. I think Diablo (didn't Diablo Cody write it?) projected too much adult wisdom into her teen girl character that it at times suspends belief.

Loved Gladiator, still do. And I agree about Titanic, I expected it to be a chic flick but was pleasantly surprised and I actually really like that movie and have seen it quite a few times.

Avatar is overrated. It was better than I thought it would be, but it wasn't a great movie either.

Some Like It Hot. I saw it for the first time a few months ago and I honestly thought Marilyn Monroe was overrated. I guess compared to today's standards she seems so average in that movie.

Some Like It Hot, IMO, has held up very well over time. Watched it again recently and I was was laughing outloud, especially at the ending. Most of Marilyn's movies suck, but not that one.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm 
NET Veteran

Terrible overrated - Avatar, Titanic, The Green Mile, and Shutter Island.

Hated Titanic probably for the hundred of teen girls sobbing for the last half an hour like the ending was unexpected. Very good special effects and ok acting.

Avatar had great special effects and nothing else.

The Green Mile just didn't do anything for me.

Shutter Island boring as hell.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Storm officially deserves to be stoned. I'll gather the stones, who wants to hold him?

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm 
NET Veteran

The English patient
Chariots of fire
Blair witch project.......

All steaming piles of poo!

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Oh.. Thought of another.. The Kings Speech.
I enjoyed it, but it could have been a 1 hour documentary on Discovery Channel (obviously not on the The History channels obviously, because Aliens).

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 am 
NET Veteran

Storm just reminded me, No Country For Old Men. It was good, but seriously overrated.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

BASF wrote:
Storm just reminded me, No Country For Old Men. It was good, but seriously overrated.

I concur 100%.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:00 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

CALIHAWK1 wrote:
BASF wrote:

I concur 100%.

+1

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 am 
* NET Philistine *

12evanf wrote:
MLOhawks wrote:

Some Like It Hot, IMO, has held up very well over time. Watched it again recently and I was was laughing outloud, especially at the ending. Most of Marilyn's movies suck, but not that one.

See, I don't really consider it a Marilyn Monroe movie. She's in it, but it's Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis who make it work. Plus it's a Billy Wilder film, so that helps, too. Quite hilarious. I watched it last year, and need to see it again.

Also, agree on No Country for Old Men. The Coen brothers did a bang up job with the direction and the mood, but the actual plot/characters left a lot to be desired. I'm not a fan of unstoppable cold evil in a 'realistic' movie. It doesn't ring true to me.

Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 am 
NET Veteran

Pulp Fiction was under-rated if anything.
Five Stars. Hell, Five and a half.

Pete Carroll
"We got grit. That's it."
Earl Thomas.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

Argo. It was good, hardly great.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Largent80 wrote:
Argo. It was good, hardly great.

I'll agree with that. I could say the same for every movie I've seen this last year as saw all the Oscar nominees. Nothing blew me away.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
BASF wrote:

I concur 100%.

+1

I disagree. I didn't even think it was any good.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:48 pm 
* NET Recluse *
* NET Recluse *

Chariots of Fire

Even if I don't like an award winning movie, I'll usually be able to see what others might like about it. Not with this borefest, though.
I'd rather be Jennifer Connelly's character at the end of Requiem for a Dream than have to sit through it again.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 am 
NET Veteran

Fight Club
Lost in Translation
Bourne trilogy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:07 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Hawkspur wrote:
Fight Club
Lost in Translation
Bourne trilogy

The first rule of Fight Club.... No way.

Bourne Legacy, trilogy just sucked.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]