The Niners Have Fallen Behind In The Arms Race.

kag0331

Reaction score
I want to start off by saying while I don't agree with every one of your members I really enjoy getting insight from your board members, this is a very exciting time for us fans getting to see teams literally get FA to counter a certain team like what sea and sf are doing! I am a Carroll fan from USC days being a California native, I enjoy his enthusiasm. I have gone to every niners sea hawk game for 5 years now in SF love the rivalry which is created by us fans and the media feeds off of us a its awesome being in the national scene instead of steelers, pats , giants aagghhh I think we have surpassed them.. I do find the strategy of niners being different than seahawks, niners almost do moneyball style have you noticed older first round picks trying to get their old college skills back that got them to the NFL.. Seahawks are front runners for the SB I have to think losing the SB makes it tough the next year.. we will see

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Michael Bennett to Seattle.

John Schneider, you have answered my question.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Ninerguy":rk2kfzy1 said:
This reminds me of the type of threads the Eagle Fans used to create for the past 2 years :3-1:

Hahahaha. Sure thing. Get the most of that meme while you can cuz once the season begins it will die a fast death.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Ninerguy":1jmu0gwd said:
This reminds me of the type of threads the Eagle Fans used to create for the past 2 years :3-1:

Right because we're not adding complimentary/depth pieces, we're counting on free agents to be our cornerstones, and our qb just got out of prison and has been out of football. How did I not see the connection before?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Ninerguy":2aaanvz2 said:
How? We've signed 2 of the best DEs on the market to reasonable deals after the market cooled and made one trade for a young elite talent at wideout. The Eagles were straight up handing out big contracts to risky big names and pieces that didn't fit.

I get you're trying to poo poo on our parade, but it's stupid.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
pinksheets":2b6wc4a8 said:
I get you're trying to poo poo on our parade, but it's stupid.

Incorrect, I get the excitement at signing a bunch of FAs.
But FA signings do not mean all those players will work out well, history of the NFL proves that out. Thats why it is such a surprise the JS would go away from what he preaches which was VALUE your draft picks and build through the draft!!!

I think he sees a window here before you have to pay or lose many young players and they are swinging for the fences. Not a crazy move but somewhat surprising. I think the Hawks are a very good team as I think the Niners are a very good team...but regardless of all the FA signings for either club it will come down to play on the field and coaching. I like our chances just as much as you like yours.
Fair?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Schneider has worked free agency every year. What about signing both Rice and Miller in quick succession? This organization does prefer to build through the draft, but you act as if that means they will never trade picks or ever go hard in FA, which was proven false before you even got the idea.

Valuing your picks does not = overvaluing them. Percy Harvin is worth more than the draft capital given up, period. Not to mention the Seahawks still have a ton of picks on top of a ton of depth that will make it extremely hard for rookies to make the roster.

You want to write the narrative that this is anything like what the Eagles did, when it isn't, not even remotely.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ninerguy":1257a2uq said:
But FA signings do not mean all those players will work out well, history of the NFL proves that out. Thats why it is such a surprise the JS would go away from what he preaches which was VALUE your draft picks and build through the draft!!!

I think he sees a window here before you have to pay or lose many young players and they are swinging for the fences. Not a crazy move but somewhat surprising. I think the Hawks are a very good team as I think the Niners are a very good team...but regardless of all the FA signings for either club it will come down to play on the field and coaching. I like our chances just as much as you like yours.
Fair?

I tried reading this but all I kept seeing was, "PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC"

Ninerguy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":21fxjx3v said:
Ninerguy":21fxjx3v said:

Fair?

I tried reading this but all I kept seeing was, "PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC PANIC"

lol, then you missed the point English.
SHEETS...My original point was that in signing a bunch of FAs does not guarantee success. It can definitely help but it is not a slam dunk in any way. Hawks are very good, I say that, they were good last season. But if we all know anything is that one years success does NOT guarantee success the next season. So its said, I thought the Eagles were going to be VERY good the past 2 seasons, I was wrong.

BTW, I know you will all flame out on this but I do not think that a 1st,3rd and 7th round pick for a guy that averages 800 yds and 5 TDs a yr as a WR is great value. Just my opinion and let the hate begin but those are marginal numbers at best. You can add in the return game but the Hawks already had one of the best return man in the NFL in Leon Washington. I havent even addressed the injury history of Harvin or his attitude. Trading for Harvin is a high risk high reward proposition is it not? If he hits it out of the park than its a high reward, if he has 800 yards and 5 tds this next season than are you happy with that as compensation?
the 1st and 3rd rounders are serious draft picks and most likely players who actually make your team, the 7th means nothing.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
At best the 49ers the same as last year, perhaps a bit older. I don't see much impact of any rookies...where would they play ? These guys we have now make our defense ,in my humble and biased option better, at least on paper

DL - Seahawks
LB Niners
DB Seahawks

One of the reasons the Niners in the glory days did well was free agents such as Fred Dean and Dion. That helped them over the hump like we did

pinksheets

Reaction score
But that's where you're being either intentionally or unintentionally moronic. Judging Percy by stats alone doesn't work for a couple of reasons: he has had terrible QB play every year but his rookie season and a huge part of his benefit is that he's so explosive and versatile that his presence on the field opens up a ton of options for other players.

If you put Percy in this draft class, he'd be the 1st WR off the board, easily, and he'd go far higher than the 20th pick, which is what those picks would get you.

And yeah, not all FAs work out, but they can, and that's why 9er fans are scared. If these signings do work out (and so far the vast majority of Pete and John's decisions have) our team is going to be terrifying. The amount of improvement over last year will outpace the 49ers and their moves by a large margin at this point. We'll see how the draft goes.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Ninerguy":ypldx9fg said:
theENGLISHseahawk":ypldx9fg said:
Ninerguy":ypldx9fg said:

Fair?

lol, then you missed the point English.
SHEETS...My original point was that in signing a bunch of FAs does not guarantee success. It can definitely help but it is not a slam dunk in any way. Hawks are very good, I say that, they were good last season. But if we all know anything is that one years success does NOT guarantee success the next season. So its said, I thought the Eagles were going to be VERY good the past 2 seasons, I was wrong.

BTW, I know you will all flame out on this but I do not think that a 1st,3rd and 7th round pick for a guy that averages 800 yds and 5 TDs a yr as a WR is great value. Just my opinion and let the hate begin but those are marginal numbers at best. You can add in the return game but the Hawks already had one of the best return man in the NFL in Leon Washington. I havent even addressed the injury history of Harvin or his attitude. Trading for Harvin is a high risk high reward proposition is it not? If he hits it out of the park than its a high reward, if he has 800 yards and 5 tds this next season than are you happy with that as compensation?
the 1st and 3rd rounders are serious draft picks and most likely players who actually make your team, the 7th means nothing.

to look at Harvin's numbers and judge that as his only impact on the game is stupid and simplistic at best.

I honestly hope we dont need to explain to you how Harvins presence on this team makes everyone else more dangerous as well? Perhaps we do.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
As far as Percy's numbers go they don't equate to his value. He's a field stretcher, he can line up anywhere and he can spell your HB. I agree with you on the KR/PR thing, i thought we should have kept leon, I don't want to put that risk on a 10m a year player. BUT, Percy is a top 10 receiver, he's always been on running teams and he will be here so his stats aren't going to be Calvin Johnson, JJ level. We aren't going to need that from him with nearly 2k yards rushing and 2 other 700+ yard receivers.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3sd5q37m said:
to look at Harvin's numbers and judge that as his only impact on the game is stupid and simplistic at best.

I honestly hope we dont need to explain to you how Harvins presence on this team makes everyone else more dangerous as well? Perhaps we do.

Nah, you dont, I get that point and it is valid. Just like Vernon Davis makes everyone else better since teams have to account for his speed from the TE position correct.
Numbers dont lie though, you are what you are just like win loss records.

why do you guys have to call names? Moronic, stupid....just an NFL fan and I happen to live near a team I USED to like(Hawks) and attend games until they got dropped into my teams(NINERS) conference so now its all about hate :th2thumbs:

pinksheets

Reaction score
So numbers ultimately tell the story then?

So 42-13 right? You can't have it both ways.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
pinksheets":2wecx527 said:

yes, you won a football game last season, one of 17 games over 4 1/2 months, congratulations. Im surprised it took you that long to beat that dead horse. Again, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

pinksheets

Reaction score
Ninerguy":3eiiebvw said:
pinksheets":3eiiebvw said:

yes, you won a football game last season, one of 17 games over 4 1/2 months, congratulations. Im surprised it took you that long to beat that dead horse. Again, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
You're the one making statistics the be all end all, I'm not. Numbers tell part of the story, but not all of it. You want to boil Harvin down to his numbers, not what you see on the field, not what he forces opposing defense to do. It's a blatantly self-serving argument that doesn't carry any weight.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Ninerguy":1aqy5phk said:

So, you think the Hawks drafted him as a receiver and nothing else. Tell me how many backs would have taken carries from possibly the greatest RB in NFL history in Adrian Peterson?

If he was JUST A SLOT RECEIVER he wouldn't be on our team.

1) He allows us to protect ourselves against Lynch getting hurt or suspended (and yes, he could receive a suspension if he's convicted in his DUI case) or just plain getting old and tiring out as he approaches 30.

2) Leon took up a space on our roster that needed to be filled by a 3rd down back that can actually make a difference, Lynch had the highest carries total of his career this year in part because Washington was ineffective in our offense.

3) and yes he can play receiver, and no he wont ever get a 1000 yard season with the Hawks. Russell Wilson isn't Kaepernick, and Harvin isn't gonna be Crabtree and over targeted. We have weapons besides him, and the ball will be spread around.

4) He's reuniting with his rookie Offensive Coordinator, Sidney Rice, and finally will have a capable QB that isn't Favre on the decline and a nothing like Ponder.

So, keep on thinking were going to be lining him up in the slot 100% of his snaps and pinning our hopes on his receiving skills if it helps you sleep at night.