Anquan Boldin - not happy?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Anquan Boldin - not happy?
Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:23 am
  • I just heard Boldin on Mike and Mike. He's down in Africa with Roddy White and Larry Fitzgerald doing some charity work. He got word of the trade via text message and he doesn't sound happy about it. I don't think it will affect his play on the field, but it is interesting to note that he isn't pleased at all that he got traded and Percy is stoked to be here.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Re: Anquan Boldin - not happy?
Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 am
  • Harvin knew he wouldn't be a Viking next year, Boldin being traded was a complete surprise to him.

He is in shock.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 am
  • Or maybe he's part of the 97% of the league who knows harbaugh is a grade A douche?
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 am
  • I was listening to it as well. It's been a couple days the shock has warn off some. There was definite disappointment in his voice.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 am
  • Would you be happy having to play for the evil Harbaugh?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 am
  • I'd be irritated, too, if I was the playoff MVP for a team, and then told me, "See ya, baby! Flacco gets a car and 120 million and you get chumped!" And then to find out it's to the Bay Area against a team he probably despises after playing them twice a year while with Arizona?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:I'd be irritated, too, if I was the playoff MVP for a team, and then told me, "See ya, baby! Flacco gets a car and 120 million and you get chumped!" And then to find out it's to the Bay Area against a team he probably despises after playing them twice a year while with Arizona?

And for a 6th round pick.
    Bitter
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am
  • Sucks for Boldin. Without him, Ravens probably don't win the SB. So yeah, it is true that he is disappointed to be a 49er but I imagine most of that disappointment is because he wanted to retire a Raven. Some of it probably does come from disliking Harbaugh after all the bs during and after the SB

That being said, Boldin is the type of guy that will give 100% and he will be a factor/big upgrade over Moss. Also it could be worse, at least he was traded to a playoff team and not to the Jets; Raiders, or another terrible team.
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:10 am
  • CPHawk wrote:Would you be happy having to play for the evil Harbaugh?

After watching that guy on the field, I seriously would have a hard time seeing him as a coach I would WANT to play for. That's a pretty big problem for SF.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 am
  • The Outfield wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Would you be happy having to play for the evil Harbaugh?

After watching that guy on the field, I seriously would have a hard time seeing him as a coach I would WANT to play for. That's a pretty big problem for SF.

Except the fact that all the players that do play for him love him. SO, where is the problem?
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 am
  • NorCal wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:

Except the fact that all the players that do play for him love him. SO, where is the problem?

Tell me what the players that PLAYED for him says and I will listen

Or to put this an other way. Your boss comes to you and ask you how you like working for him / her...... what are you going to answer? Remember whatever you answer will be in the papers and all over the internet
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am
  • NorCal, you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that Hardouche is not very respected outside of SF...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:28 am
  • Players love playing for him :177692: ? Signed all those ex Stanford players that are rushing to sign with the 9ers.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:47 am
  • NinerLifer wrote:Harvin knew he wouldn't be a Viking next year, Boldin being traded was a complete surprise to him.

He is in shock.

If this is true, then why would he make the statement "if I am cut or traded, I will retire" He knew it was coming, threatening retirement to save his job, it's called a bluff, Ravens called him on it.

Doubt he is in shock, and he is probably happy to have a job. I am sure he would not be happy if he was going to AZ.
    Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am
  • He can still retire, and SF would still lose that 6th round pick to the Ravens. Going to be interesting how Bolden handles it.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:23 am
  • He hasn't NOT retired yet, actually. There's still time. God, that'd be funny.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:He hasn't NOT retired yet, actually. There's still time. God, that'd be funny.

I would laugh my butt off. Is there a deadline for when a player's supposed to announce they're retiring? It would be great if he waited until July 31st.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:06 pm
  • That is a good point about the players may not really like the coaches that coach them even if they say they do.... I'm glad you figured that out all on your own ... I don't recall Pete Carroll getting former USC players on FA or the first draft of his NFL tenure with the hawks ... that same logic goes for every boss or coach... some are not liked does not mean they aren't good... I enjoyed USC when Carroll was coach but thought is was very chicken sh*t the way he dipped out and left them in shambles.. sorry for the rant but some of these members say some funny stuff...
    kag0331
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm
  • WOW, talk about hearing what you want to hear!!!

I heard this interview live and he did express disappointment in the way he was traded, partly because he is in a small 3rd world country doing good things for people along with his buddy and old teammate Fitzgerald and he had to hear about this through a friends text when he got off the plane!

Did you also hear but failed to mention that one of the Mikes had to tell him that both Krueger and Their safety had been released as well as other players?
    Boldin Had no idea that they were gone or all the other moves the Ravens have made because he is isolated from the news, it was all a shock to him.
    Geez, sorry to mix in the whole story. He will play for the Niners and he will do well.
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Did I mention that Jim Harbaugh is an effing douche?
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:34 pm
  • NorCal wrote:
    The Outfield wrote:

Except the fact that all the players that do play for him love him.

Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman played for him at Stanford and they sure as hell don't love him. Far from it, it would seem.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:WOW, talk about hearing what you want to hear!!!

I heard this interview live and he did express disappointment in the way he was traded, partly because he is in a small 3rd world country doing good things for people along with his buddy and old teammate Fitzgerald and he had to hear about this through a friends text when he got off the plane!

Did you also hear but failed to mention that one of the Mikes had to tell him that both Krueger and Their safety had been released as well as other players?
    Boldin Had no idea that they were gone or all the other moves the Ravens have made because he is isolated from the news, it was all a shock to him.
    Geez, sorry to mix in the whole story. He will play for the Niners and he will do well.

I was wondering when the Niners hall-monitor BKA Capt. Save-Em would turn up
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm
  • kag0331 wrote:That is a good point about the players may not really like the coaches that coach them even if they say they do.... I'm glad you figured that out all on your own ... I don't recall Pete Carroll getting former USC players on FA or the first draft of his NFL tenure with the hawks ... that same logic goes for every boss or coach... some are not liked does not mean they aren't good... I enjoyed USC when Carroll was coach but thought is was very chicken sh*t the way he dipped out and left them in shambles.. sorry for the rant but some of these members say some funny stuff...

Dude - the guy above says the players like him and I pointed out the obvious error. Some of the guys from your neck of the wood says some funny stuff.......

Amazing lets call the guy that points out the major flaw in an argument mr obvious and not the guy that forced that post to be made. You guys sure are smart over there

and I never said he wasn't good nor did I say that PC was well liked. I simply replied to a stupid post (attacking the post not the poster :))
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Obviously Sherman and Baldwin liked him enough to be recruited by him, and they are competitors they are not going to complement their "enemy" so to speak...that's common sense I thought. I'm sure their is some discontent since he didn't draft them I could see that. I personally see why they don't like harbaugh for all those reasons which i mentioned aren't his coaching tecjniques ... but see it how you want. Also don't get bent out of shape because niner fans are sticking up for their team in the "NFL" section of your forum if it were not for us you guys would not have nearly as much fun in here come on admit it! Ha
    kag0331
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:58 pm
  • kag0331 wrote:Obviously Sherman and Baldwin liked him enough to be recruited by him ...

You mean, before he was actually their coach?...
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:02 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    kag0331 wrote:Obviously Sherman and Baldwin liked him enough to be recruited by him ...

You mean, before he was actually their coach?...

You got me... damn it your right! Hate admitting I'm wrong..good catch. :?
    kag0331
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:He can still retire, and SF would still lose that 6th round pick to the Ravens. Going to be interesting how Bolden handles it.

That would be high comedy indeed.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Ninerguy wrote:WOW, talk about hearing what you want to hear!!!

lol, just sprinkling in a little truth now and then, crazy I know...and you win a cookie!
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:

Apologies...confused you for the fool, Ninerlifer
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:

lol, just sprinkling in a little truth now and then, crazy I know...and you win a cookie!

Confused you for someone else
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm
  • God forbid Boldin denies the 49ers his four regular season touchdowns this year.

That would be a travesty...
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:15 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:Confused you for someone else

Cool, I thought that might be the case, I actually get a few nice PMs from Hawk fans in my inbox on occasion, though they would never say it in public in a thread :mrgreen: Living here in the PNW as a Niner fan can be more than interesting when it comes to football discussions, which honestly last 12 months of the year!

BTW, Here is an actual quote form Boldins interview."As a kid I grew up a 49ers fan, by growing up watching Joe Montana, Steve Young, (Jerry) Rice and (John) Taylor, Ronnie Lott and those guys,” Boldin said. “I’ve always been a fan of the 49ers. For me, I’m happy to be part of an organization like that.”
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:God forbid Boldin denies the 49ers his four regular season touchdowns this year.

It would be nearly as tragic and a travesty as denying the Hawks the 5 TDs Harvin has AVERAGED a year in the NFL as a wr. He had 3 last year...
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 pm
  • Funny how you limit it to "as a WR", ignoring the whole point of Percy, that he's insanely versatile and explosive. If you factor in returns and rushing, he averages over 7 TDs a season. Factor in any time missed and he scores a TD more than every other game.

Nice try, though.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:Confused you for someone else

Cool, I thought that might be the case, I actually get a few nice PMs from Hawk fans in my inbox on occasion, though they would never say it in public in a thread :mrgreen: Living here in the PNW as a Niner fan can be more than interesting when it comes to football discussions, which honestly last 12 months of the year!

BTW, Here is an actual quote form Boldins interview."As a kid I grew up a 49ers fan, by growing up watching Joe Montana, Steve Young, (Jerry) Rice and (John) Taylor, Ronnie Lott and those guys,” Boldin said. “I’ve always been a fan of the 49ers. For me, I’m happy to be part of an organization like that.”

Wow, I have been confusing you with "NinerLifer" the past couple hours or so and thought to myself "wow he seems like much less of a douche today" hahaha awesome.
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:God forbid Boldin denies the 49ers his four regular season touchdowns this year.

It would be nearly as tragic and a travesty as denying the Hawks the 5 TDs Harvin has AVERAGED a year in the NFL as a wr. He had 3 last year...

LOL, you're grasping here. Harvin is undeniably one of the most dynamic playmakers in the entire league.

Oh dear, 49ers fans.....oh dear...
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:42 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Funny how you limit it to "as a WR", ignoring the whole point of Percy, that he's insanely versatile and explosive. If you factor in returns and rushing, he averages over 7 TDs a season. Factor in any time missed and he scores a TD more than every other game.

Nice try, though.

TY :mrgreen:
    It is as a WR were you need him to shine isnt it?
    Leon Washington was one of if not arguably the best return man in the NFL, so you already had a weapon for that dept. Harvin has an injury history does he not? If you have him be a WR, return man and a RB I am willing to bet he and his 184lb frame do not make it through the entire season healthy especially playing the defenses in the NFC West 2x each. Just my opinion and I know yours is different, as they should be I guess.
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:44 pm
  • Injury history? Not really.

You're trying too hard. It's sad.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:53 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:Injury history? Not really.

You're trying too hard. It's sad.

Ok, thank you for your time!
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:23 pm
  • Seeing these 49ers fans on here is like watching an old, ageing football player who's clearly past his best. You feel sad because you know what they used to be, all cocky and brash. And now they're just struggling out there.

Funnily enough... a bit like all the players the Niners are trying to sign at the moment..
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:50 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Seeing these 49ers fans on here is like watching an old, ageing football player who's clearly past his best. You feel sad because you know what they used to be, all cocky and brash. And now they're just struggling out there.

Funnily enough... a bit like all the players the Niners are trying to sign at the moment..

Just as funny seeing 'Hawks fans all giddy about FA signings, thinking the Super Bowl is won in March. All excited by the addition of a guy like Avril, a pass-rusher that has been dominated by the weakest link on our O-Line(Davis), two years running. Grasping at straws about our newly acquired players when nothing could be further from the truth. Fun times right?

"As a kid I grew up a 49ers fan, by growing up watching Joe Montana, Steve Young, (Jerry) Rice and (John) Taylor, Ronnie Lott and those guys," Boldin told ESPN Radio. "I've always been a fan of the 49ers. I'm happy to be part of an organization like that."

Congrats on winning free agency though....when's the trophy presentation?
    757Niner
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 pm
  • 757Niner wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Seeing these 49ers fans on here is like watching an old, ageing football player who's clearly past his best. You feel sad because you know what they used to be, all cocky and brash. And now they're just struggling out there.

Just as funny seeing 'Hawks fans all giddy about FA signings, thinking the Super Bowl is won in March. All excited by the addition of a guy like Avril, a pass-rusher that has been dominated by the weakest link on our O-Line(Davis), two years running. Grasping at straws about our newly acquired players when nothing could be further from the truth. Fun times right?

"As a kid I grew up a 49ers fan, by growing up watching Joe Montana, Steve Young, (Jerry) Rice and (John) Taylor, Ronnie Lott and those guys," Boldin told ESPN Radio. "I've always been a fan of the 49ers. I'm happy to be part of an organization like that."

It's just funny watching 49ers fans like you spending so much time posting on a rival's message boards defending your team. You're not going to change any of our minds. Lol @ wasting of life.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 pm
  • The Outfield wrote:
    757Niner wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Seeing these 49ers fans on here is like watching an old, ageing football player who's clearly past his best. You feel sad because you know what they used to be, all cocky and brash. And now they're just struggling out there.

It's just funny watching 49ers fans like you spending so much time posting on a rival's message boards defending your team. You're not going to change any of our minds. Lol @ wasting of life.

Uhhhh, I've been a part of this SEAHAWKS message board longer then you. So I guess my question is, what's your deal? I like talking football with other fanbases. I get along with posters here for the most part. When you make moves that make sense, I give you guys props. When you don't, I say you just f'd up. I do the same with my own team, which is why most posters here show me respect. I call them like I see them. Like I've repeated here before, I'm also a member of several other NFL teams forums. Im on other teams boards, more than my own...because oun board sucks for the most part, I'll readily admit that. But Im still going to defend my team....that should be a given.
    757Niner
    NET Rookie

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:04 pm
  • Where all the the 40Bums come from? How's Manningham working out? Who's your safety? hahah Dahl. How old is Justin Smith again? Yo Aldon, Hows your shoulder holding up? Is somebody becoming injury prone.

As for the OP Bolden won't be happy when he finishes his career with just one ring.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm
  • kag0331 wrote:That is a good point about the players may not really like the coaches that coach them even if they say they do.... I'm glad you figured that out all on your own ... I don't recall Pete Carroll getting former USC players on FA or the first draft of his NFL tenure with the hawks ... that same logic goes for every boss or coach... some are not liked does not mean they aren't good... I enjoyed USC when Carroll was coach but thought is was very chicken sh*t the way he dipped out and left them in shambles.. sorry for the rant but some of these members say some funny stuff...

He didn't dip out. Trust me on that.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:24 pm
  • 757Niner wrote:Just as funny seeing 'Hawks fans all giddy about FA signings, thinking the Super Bowl is won in March. All excited by the addition of a guy like Avril, a pass-rusher that has been dominated by the weakest link on our O-Line(Davis), two years running. Grasping at straws about our newly acquired players when nothing could be further from the truth. Fun times right?

For starters, I don't recall claiming the Super Bowl was won in March. And I don't think any fans on this board, aside from obvious jest, truly believe the Seahawks have secured next season's title based on their moves in the past few days.

However, you'd have to be a complete homer to suggest the moves Seattle made won't significantly bolster what was already a pretty strong team. Kudos to Anthony Davis for playing well in two games against Avril. Davis is a fine offensive tackle and could play the blind side easily in my view. Had Eric Berry dropped to #6 for Seattle in 2010, I think there's every chance the Seahawks would've moved up to make sure they got Davis with their other first round pick (assuming Okung was gone).

But you know what? Even if Avril sucks twice against you guys next season, he might still be a terrific signing. I don't recall Chris Clemons having a major impact in the 42-13 beat down. Avril will play the LEO so he's going to line up against Joe Staley exclusively. If Staley wins that battle in the same way Davis won, then it still won't necessarily be a determining factor in our two games in 2013.

Against other teams though, Avril could still have a lot of success. The LEO position is designed to be favourable to Avril's skill set. He should prosper overall.

As for the other two guys, Bennett will probably line up all over the place and I'm excited to see how he fits in. It's going to be difficult in obvious passing situations for teams to block a rush of Bennett, Avril and Irvin with potentially Clemons coming back into the mix too. Harvin is a flat out playmaker. If he'd joined San Francisco instead, I can honestly say I'd be petrified and would've congratulated you guys. There aren't many guys like Percy out there. And if you're being truly honest, you'll admit that he's far better than any player we could've wished to draft at #25. A lot of people point to the injuries (not as bad as feared) and character (people said the same about Lynch, Carroll seems to be able to control these guys). We have a lot of background with Harvin given Bevell worked with him in Minnesota and Carroll recruited the heck out of him. That gives me confidence.

At the same time, it looks to me like you guys are putting a lot of faith in the draft. You've lost some good players. I hate the idea of Dorsey as a nose tackle. Dahl is crappy, sorry but he is. I get he probably won't start. I've always been a Boldin fan but remind me when he last had a regular season where he showed up like he did in the playoffs? I fear he'll go back to being what he always was in Baltimore -- a big possession guy who doesn't really threaten you all that much. I think you had an elite possession receiver already in Crabtree. I think what you need is a couple of burner's given Kaep's got the arm to make it happen. You talk about Avril getting beat by Anthony Davis... have a look at Boldin's numbers the last time he met our secondary.

Dashon Goldson is a big loss and I didn't like your secondary anyway before he moved on. Justin Smith is 34 this year and even if he's back to his dominating best in 2013, he won't last forever. I think you'll admit your defense suffered quite a bit without him.

Now maybe you have the draft to end all drafts? But either way, the onus is on you guys now to keep re-tooling and get younger on the DL and in the secondary, while also finding a couple more weapons on defense. Plus you're going to have some expensive re-signs coming up (like us, I appreciate that).

Compare this to us. From 2012 we've got two starters... TWO... who are free agents. Alan Branch and Leroy Hill. That's it. We might even still re-sign Branch. If not, that's two holes to fill with eight draft picks or whatever else we do in free agency. As a cumulative, we've significantly improved our roster in the last seven days. You guys have weakened yours. And the draft will be very important for you.

So that's why Seahawks fans are feeling pretty good about life right now. It doesn't mean we'll beat you twice, win the NFC West or the Super Bowl. But right now I don't think anyone can argue that we've made improvements and you've got work to do before the summer.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:45 pm
  • SNDavidson wrote:Or maybe he's part of the 97% of the league who knows harbaugh is a grade A douche?

If he's such a douche why do the 49ers players love him so much? Oh wait, of course, all the 49ers players are douches too. Silly me. :stirthepot:

^^ A douche.

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    757Niner wrote: As a cumulative, we've significantly improved our roster in the last seven days. You guys have weakened yours. And the draft will be very important for you.

So that's why Seahawks fans are feeling pretty good about life right now. It doesn't mean we'll beat you twice, win the NFC West or the Super Bowl. But right now I don't think anyone can argue that we've made improvements and you've got work to do before the summer.

Coming from 49er fans who've watched every single game, Goldson is WAY over rated. Great at hitting people, amazing at blowing coverages. Just last season, his first Pro Bowl appearance, his Pro Football Focus rating was negative. In my honest opinion, getting Boldin alone almost makes up for losing Goldson. Why? Because he's a REDZONE threat, something Crabtree, Davis, and everyone else we have is NOT. Goldson is replaceable, but we have not had a legitimate number 2 WR since Jerry Rice was our number 2 behind Owens.

Same story with Sopoaga. He really was not very good. He was the weakness of our front 7. I do believe we will draft replacements for both Goldson and Sopa, leaving us with a net gain (and Dorsey will not be playing much NT, I don't think). And then we'll probably pick up a couple more great players out of these 14 picks. At worst, we'll be better set up for the future even if Seattle takes over in the short run.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:28 pm
  • You can't just quote '14 picks' like it's a given you're going to solve your problems there. You might end up having the draft to end all drafts. You might also have a few more A.J. Jenkins' in there. The draft is a crap shoot for the most part.

I read earlier today (think it was from your GM) that Dorsey is playing the nose. Put him at end if you want. It's not like he did anything in all those years with the Chiefs. He's an epic bust thus far. To expect he'll suddenly come good approaching thirty is very optimistic.

Goldson was overrated... OK. I didn't watch him much. Maybe you're right. Maybe you wouldn't be saying that had he stuck around and not gone after money.

Boldin is a red zone threat... he has 18 touchdowns in the last four years. He's had Kurt Warner and Joe Flacco throwing to him in those four years, so no excuses there. Great post season just recently, but if you're banking on him to beat that 4-5 touchdown a year average - good luck.

The fact is whether the guys you need to replace or not were any good, they still need to be replaced. And by the sounds of it you're banking on hitting on a bunch of draft picks to get it done. Maybe that works out for you? We'll see. But you're taking a major assumption that this draft will set you up for the future. You don't know that. Meanwhile we have to replace a defensive tackle and a WILL from 2012. We may still re-sign the DT. We have a great young core and don't even have to pay our young starts for a few years yet. I know what position I'd rather be in.

And I know I won't be going over to any 49ers forums either to make these points...
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm
  • Considering the 9ers hardly sub on defense the draft picks they get are going to be riding the pine and learning in practices until there's an injury. The homegrown effect has it's downfall. If I got drafted just to get my playing time curtailed and hope I could break into the lineup before my rookie contract ended so I didn't get shortchanged on a new team friendly contract later on. I don't think I'd play with fire.

I'd sit around wishing I was drafted by a team that is willing to recognize, play, and god forbid even start rookie talent.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 am
  • Lady Talon wrote:Considering the 9ers hardly sub on defense the draft picks they get are going to be riding the pine and learning in practices until there's an injury. The homegrown effect has it's downfall. If I got drafted just to get my playing time curtailed and hope I could break into the lineup before my rookie contract ended so I didn't get shortchanged on a new team friendly contract later on. I don't think I'd play with fire.

I'd sit around wishing I was drafted by a team that is willing to recognize, play, and god forbid even start rookie talent.

It has been reported from the Niners staff soon after the SB that there will be more rotations on the defensive side of the ball from now on due to the obvious decline that our defense felt towards the end of the season.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information