kearly's dream draft 5.0 - thinking outside the box edition

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
Kearly,

This is a very interesting mock to say the least,I love it even though the WLB isn't addressed.Our front office could very well avoid that like they did WR's last year and stick with what they have.I'm a major fan of Ertz cause he is versatile he is a much better blocker than people give him credit for and he has great hands and game speed to be successful being lined up out wide or on the line or whatever.I like the Edwards pick because he could fit the Jason Jones role and possibly be a solid player in that sense.The Harrison/Gardner picks are also great,I like Harrison alot because he is not only big but has some great speed and potential to be an eventual Rice replacement,Gardner also has that potential and could be stashed away on the ps to refine his game.The Hyde pick/Taylor udfa pickup is nice cause both could fill potential open spots if Browner and god forbid Chancellor aren't resigned.I like Robinson as a rb more than wr but he could easily be used as both in our offense.Davis seems to have healed up nicely from that acl? injury he suffered though his numbers this past season didn't quite match what I thought he'd achieve.Every other pickup do seem like great backup potential and or starter quality down the road should Red be cut/traded,Flynn be cut/traded

Atradees

Reaction score
Good analysis. I also favor a more defensive minded draft. I think we are set for good competition at
WR, TE and RB. Free agents can make notable difference of course. I thought the wideouts did great. Love Tate, Baldwin, Rice, and probably Harvins a fantastic get. Line play additions would help this team tremendously.

I think our scoring defense as it stood was something of a mirage as it concerns defensive line play. If we lose Branch I believe it will be significant. We wont be able to make a living in the seventh round. So some higher picks would benefit us. Even if we land an aging veteran at DT-I think we need a new focus at DT and end.

Linebackers are best right out of college. You either have it or you don't. There are some rare guys out there. I have always been an OSI fan and Urlacher I would sign and move Wagner. I dont know if those moves will happen. So likely a high pick would ease my pain.

We got some mileage from the offensive line. I don't think Carpenter is a guy we can depend on. I mean he is huge and physical but one just needs to hear him talk to tell he isn't of a cerebral nature like our probowl center. I love Breno, McQuistan, Unger, Okung.....We need to keep improving or fall backwards.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'd be fine with your draft, Kearly, except that at DT. I want Brandon Williams somewhere in the second or third round over any of the players you picked. I'm "jacked and pumped" like Pete Carrol thinking about how dominant our pass rush will be with the playmakers we have now, but I'd like some insurance at DT.

Renohawk

Reaction score
Would we take a TE in the 2nd rd when we just signed Darren Fells to a 3-year deal? I know he's been out of football for a few years, but investing 3 yr contract and we still have Miller and McCoy. Just seems high for a TE at this point.

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
Personally I would be happier with drafting Sio Moore in the 2nd round in hopes he could start right away at the WLB spot. The competition alone that he would create there would upgrade the position IMO. I do like Malcolm Smith in a reserve role and special teams player. Drafting a TE like Levine Toilolo in the later rounds is intriguing to me and would present a big red zone target for Russell. Imagine a player with his length (at 6'8") and athleticism running that back corner out of the slot position.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
kearly":16f35835 said:
Edit: Seattle signed Cliff Avril while I was compiling this, which pretty much proves my point about wanting to address DE in FA. I had us signing Abraham, but this works too.

Note: (I would sign John Abraham in free agency as a 1 year stopgap for LEO). In order to mix things up, I will not include Ryan Swope, John Simon, or Armonty Bryant in this version- although I would surely draft all of them if I had the chance. In fact I'm going to try to go with mostly new names in this one, so expect a few surprises:

2nd round: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
3rd round: Menelik Watson, T, FSU
4th round: Lavar Edwards, DE/DT, LSU
5th round: Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
5th round: Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers
6th round: Denard Robinson, RB/WR/KR, Michigan
7th round: Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas
7th round: Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra

I like it but I would much prefer us taking someone like TJ McDonald as a WILL in the 5th over Micah Hyde. I don't think we need another tall corner. Maybe we could take a guy that might fit in as nickel back later in the draft but I see no reason for us to draft a CB. That is probably our deepest position.

McGruff

Reaction score
Renohawk":169feecn said:
Would we take a TE in the 2nd rd when we just signed Darren Fells to a 3-year deal? I know he's been out of football for a few years, but investing 3 yr contract and we still have Miller and McCoy. Just seems high for a TE at this point.

Darren Fells on a three year minimum rookie contract impacts our draft strategy as much as Steven Williams impacted our desire to trade for Percy Harvin.

Renohawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2gxvxawn said:
Renohawk":2gxvxawn said:

Darren Fells on a three year minimum rookie contract impacts our draft strategy as much as Steven Williams impacted our desire to trade for Percy Harvin.

Agree, but how many TE's do we need on a roster when we have Miller, McCoy, Morrah and Fells. I would not take a TE in 2nd rd when DT is a glaring need.

12evanf

Reaction score
Macklemore's Thrift Shop should be the Seahawks anthem. This is a really good mock, Kearly. Pete goes for value over need everytime. He then fills in stop gaps until value for the need becomes available.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Renohawk":3dm3tc4x said:
McGruff":3dm3tc4x said:
Renohawk":3dm3tc4x said:

Agree, but how many TE's do we need on a roster when we have Miller, McCoy, Morrah and Fells. I would not take a TE in 2nd rd when DT is a glaring need.

I think kearly explained pretty well why you take a TE when DT is a glaring need: There's probably not going to be a worthy pick in the 2nd round. Sure, maybe Kawann Short or Sylvester Williams fall, but it's really unlikely they get that far down the draft board. Whereas, if you can add a cheap playmaker who gives you some flexibility next year if you need clear some cap space with Miller, you're probably going to go that route.

Plus, c'mon, Miller, Ertz, Rice, Harvin, and Tate on the field at the same time? Fuhgeddaboutit.

McGruff

Reaction score
Renohawk":yopfp9yy said:
McGruff":yopfp9yy said:
Renohawk":yopfp9yy said:

Considering McCoy is average at best, and Morrah and Fells are complete unknowns, and Miller is an expensive veteran, its certainly a position worth looking at.

And if the choice is between Ertz or, say, the fat guy with rex arms from the small school . . . I'd go with Ertz.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":ly9c2cei said:
Plus, c'mon, Miller, Ertz, Rice, Harvin, and Tate on the field at the same time? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Empty backfield with two TE's? That would be unorthodox and really push a defense.

Or are we putting Harvin in the backfield?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
McGruff":10hcrij6 said:
Sarlacc83":10hcrij6 said:

Empty backfield with two TE's? That would be unorthodox and really push a defense.

Both! The possibilities with Harvin are ridiculous.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I definitely want Knile Davis, he would be my player I would hate to leave the draft without. Lynch, Turbin, Harvin, Davis, that is one loaded backfield.

cover-2

Reaction score
Interesting mock, I like that you threw out some different prospects. I agree with the thought of taking an o-lineman with a mid or late round pick...I would recommend taking a look at Virginia Tech (RT) Vinston Painter vs Florida St. Painter had a great game against Florida St DE Bjoern Werner. Painter is considered a late round pick who is still a little raw, but he has huge upside and put up some good #'s at the combine.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
There is no DT worth the #56 pick that I think will likely be there. The closest is Brandon Williams, but I think we could get him a round later and I'm not sure he's the kind of player Pete wants.

I have us drafting a DT in round 4. He didn't play DT in college, but he has a Jason Jones type skillset. IMO, he's as good as anything you're likely to get in the second, so there is no need to reach. I would not be surprised if Seattle took a guy like Edwards sooner than I did, but I don't think it's necessary. I feel that all of the realistic options at DT in round 2 carry 3rd round grades. I feel like Edwards carries a 3rd round grade but could be had in round 4. I'd rather go that route, especially if someone like Ertz is on the board.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Well it seems now we could try and move up to grab a TE if we really felt like we needed to, with what we did in free agency the last two days.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3pbrmjfu said:
McGruff":3pbrmjfu said:
Sarlacc83":3pbrmjfu said:

Both! The possibilities with Harvin are ridiculous.

That was my thought, too, when I posted. It gives you the ability to run a pretty heavy run set or send out receivers across the field. It also allows you to max protect and send out 3 while still forcing the defense to stay honest because they have to account for a release from the TE position.