What is the Difference?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
What is the Difference?
Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:43 pm
  • Between a point cut, or a flat cut corned beef brisket?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: What is the Difference?
Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm
  • Point Cut Brisket

A point cut comes to a point at one end. The point cut has a lot of fat running through it, so when you cook it, it comes out nice and juicy. This cut is rarely found in supermarkets, as it isn’t as attractive of a cut as the flat. This is a good choice if you plan on shredding the meat when finished cooking.

Flat Cut Brisket

The flat cut is a much leaner cut than the point. However it still has a layer of fat on the bottom, that will keep the meat moist. This is the cut you will most often find in supermarkets, as it looks more appealing the the point cut. If you are looking for brisket that will slice up nicely, this is your best bet. It is also the cut used most often when you buy packaged corned beef.

http://www.eatlikenoone.com/difference-between-a-flat-cut-and-point-cut-brisket.htm
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm
  • Hmmmm. Point cut is $149 a pound this week for St Pats, while the flat is $3.49.

I bought point cut last year and cooked it in a crock pot and it was bomb ass, and very tender/tasty.

I was just wondering if it is worth paying more than double.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Hmmmm. Point cut is $149 a pound this week for St Pats, while the flat is $3.49.

I bought point cut last year and cooked it in a crock pot and it was bomb ass, and very tender/tasty.

It might be worth it if you are one of those folks who despises fat on their meat. I MUCH prefer the point cut and I seek out the fattier versions because they just taste so much better
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Hmmmm. Point cut is $149 a pound this week for St Pats, while the flat is $3.49.

It might be worth it if you are one of those folks who despises fat on their meat.

There is a tool called a knife.... :lol:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Hmmmm. Point cut is $149 a pound this week for St Pats, while the flat is $3.49.

It might be worth it if you are one of those folks who despises fat on their meat.

There is a tool called a knife.... :lol:

There are plenty of people out there still afraid to butcher meat themselves, including cutting into steaks, trimming fat, etc. It's kind of sad, but they are the ones missing out on some of the best things. One of my favorite things to do is buying prime rib with the bones, cutting off the bones and Grilling them for a snack while I slow cook the rib roast all day long.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 am
  • Isn't $149 pretty steep for any cut of meat?
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 am
  • The problem with getting a point is that you end up with a bunch of the fat that isn't going to melt away and will just be inedible. It can be a bad choice if you're going to try and slice and serve for friends or family. I stick with flat's for corned beef, but if possible I try to buy an entire brisket and cut it up. They are about $2.40/lb and 13-15lbs or so up here
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:The problem with getting a point is that you end up with a bunch of the fat that isn't going to melt away and will just be inedible. It can be a bad choice if you're going to try and slice and serve for friends or family. I stick with flat's for corned beef, but if possible I try to buy an entire brisket and cut it up. They are about $2.40/lb and 13-15lbs or so up here

This may be, as I do not like the flavor of corned beef. I always smoke my briskets. I also always use the point cut when I can find it. You are correct in the fact that not all of it melts off, especially if you get one with a rather thick layer of fat (which I prefer for my long smokes), but I usually end up serving half of my brisket sliced and shred the rest and put it away for another day. I have found the fat can be scraped off rather easily with a knife or fork, and what remains is like the trim of a steak and can also come off rather easily.

As I did show in my original post though, the point cut is meant to mostly be shredded, and not sliced. They recomend the flat cut for slicing, so I assume they recommend the flat cut for corned beef, but I have only cooked with a flat cut for my purposes one time, and it came out ok but not nearly as flavorful as the point cut. Just MO
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:07 pm
  • I love the taste of corned beef, especially on a sandwich with rye bread, heaven.. :179417:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information