Reports of the death of our cap space have been exaggerated.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
After looking at our team - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/ - I am really not too worried about our cap situation for the years to come.

The only players I see as irreplaceable and will be re-signed in the next two years (after this one) at a much higher cost than their current salaries are:

Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman.

Two others, KJ Wright and Kam Chancellor, are almost on that list but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they left - assuming we had rookies to replace them.

3 of those players are in 2015/2016 and between that year and the next we'll have Chris Clemons, Matt Flynn, Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, Brandon Mebane, Marshawn Lynch coming off the books (if not sooner - as we could cut them). I truly doubt we re-sign any of these players for a cost anything close to their current cap numbers, if at all.

The only other player that is a must-sign which I am less worried about - Russell Okung - Okung's cap number is already high and thus it won't be much of a difference to re-sign him at that point.

2014/2015
Guys to sign who would cost significantly more than current
Kam Chancellor, Golden Tate, Anthony McCoy

Salaries Coming off books >1 million(may or may not re-sign)
Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, Michael Robinson, Ben Obamanu

2015/2016
Pete Carroll (not salary cap but bring this man back), Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, KJ Wright

Chris Clemons, Matt Flynn, Doug Baldwin, Brandon Browner, Heath Farwell, James Carpenter, John Moffit (close)

2016/2017
Russell Wilson, Bruce Irvin, Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin

Zach Miller, Russell Okung, Sidney Rice, Brandon Mebane, Marshawn Lynch, John Ryan.

One last guy, Red Bryant, has a ton of cap space devoted to him so he may be a casualty.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Baldwin and Browner are free agents (restricted) in 2014, not 2015.

Also, Thurmond is a free agent in 2014 as well.

Hawks46

Reaction score
edit:

Not too worried about Chancellor. His replacement is already on the team.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
The Outfield":2ov9jgwi said:
Baldwin and Browner are free agents (restricted) in 2014, not 2015.

Also, Thurmond is a free agent in 2014 as well.

I took the liberty of assuming we would tender them fairly high and thus would be UFAs in 2015.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":q0xlh92k said:
Hawks46":q0xlh92k said:
edit:

Not too worried about Chancellor. His replacement is already on the team.

I think we're taking a huge risk if we ask Wilson to play strong safety AND quarterback.

Dude, come on be serious. How is Russ gonna play SS when he's busy generating the interior pass rush we so desperately need? Honestly..some people just have no idea that our QB who was called too small to play QB is also a stellar DT..geez.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Posotions like SS and 4-3 OLB not named Von Miller aren't high priced positions. If the bail for money draft another one.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Earl is invaluable to the team and will be resigned at all costs, I think Shereman will cost a ton but we will make it happen, I see Kam getting a big payday but of those 3 he is the least valuable and if someone has to go I'd prefer him. BB is older so his $$ won't be anywhere near what the other 3 will get.