WR (was) the #1 priority

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":316rllde said:
I think this may also speak to how they are feeling about Bruce Irvin and Jaye Howard at Leo and 3-tech, respectively. Perhaps we aren't pressing hard to fill these holes in free agency because they aren't that big of an issue?

Could be - interesting angle.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The need is not the issue - it's painfully obvious. The who is.

Wondering if they try to move up? Probably don't have the draft capital to do it.

Oh to be a fly on the wall ...

General Manager

Reaction score
I thought a big time playmaking WR was a priority and Harvin and Wilson are going to take this Offense to a level weve never seen before here in Seattle. As far as Pete and John i think Harvins talent vs the 25th pick trumped everything. WR was a need though there's no doubt about it.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
General Manager":1ilhgxpu said:
I thought a big time playmaking WR was a priority and Harvin and Wilson are going to take this Offense to a level weve never seen before here in Seattle. As far as Pete and John i think Harvins talent vs the 25th pick trumped everything. WR was a need though there's no doubt about it.

Yep. Spot on.

kearly

Reaction score
Here is my take (which is already supported by a lot of excellent observations in this thread):

WR was not the top priority. Pass rush was. WR might have gone as late as the 3rd round in the draft if Seattle found a DT and DE they liked enough in round 1 and 2.

That said, I've written for a while now that the prototypical John Schneider WR is a guy with quickness, speed, and YAC ability, with Golden Tate being the best example. Who is the undisputed quickest, best YAC WR in the NFL? Percy Harvin. Who spurned USC when Pete called him the best player in America? Percy Harvin.

I think ever since it became clear that Harvin would be traded the Seahawks have built their entire offseason around acquiring him. The term "mancrush" is probably an undersell. Not only that, but Harvin's skillset fit perfectly with Seattle's needs. They needed an upgrade in the slot, they needed more speed on offense, they needed a successor to Leon Washington, and they are always looking to add more weapons in the running game.

So no, WR was not the top priority- until Harvin became available and HARVIN, not the position he plays at, became the new top priority.

General Manager

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":17m6sbtz said:
Makes sense. Harvin becoming available restacked the deck.

It's true DL was probably where they would have gone at 25 we'll never know now, it's also true WR was higher on there list than they indicated or this trade would not have happened.