Dashon Goldson is now a Buc, Does Earl Thomas get similar $?

nfcwizard

Reaction score
Earl Thomas yesterday said that he hoped Dashon would break the bank (twitter, sherman retweeted), because he knows he will make similar money.. 41 mil isn't too bad, I was hoping it woudln't be in the 50s.

drdiags

Reaction score
Earl will start at $9M/yr or more since Goldson is getting $8.5M this year. Depends on how his year goes, his agent might try pushing > $9M when his contract is due.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Earl's better, and will be paid accordingly, unfortunately. Unless he gives the Seahawks a discount. Which may happen if we haven't gotten him a ring yet, but are in the running every year; depends on what his priorities are.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Earl is probably looking at a record setting deal for a safety when he is a free agent

heyu123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":25aul312 said:
Earl's better, and will be paid accordingly, unfortunately. Unless he gives the Seahawks a discount. Which may happen if we haven't gotten him a ring yet, but are in the running every year; depends on what his priorities are.

I agree here. Thomas is a better safety and will get more than goldson, or at least he should.

I think that that's a lot of money to sink into the position unless you have an Ed Reed type of player which Goldson isn't. Safety in general isn't as critical a position as a lot of others on the field, so I don't think it's that wise to sink big money into it if it puts you at risk to lose more critical players(which signing goldson would have done for the Niners, and what signing Thomas might do for Seattle).

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I saw on Earls twitter that he said "I hope Goldson breaks the bank!!!". And he did just that. That will be the starting point in talks between his agent and the FO. If catches the ball better this year and had the 8-9 picks that he SHOULD of had this year he will command crazy money for a safety.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I might get crushed for this comment, but Earl has never struck me as somebody who is in love with being in Seattle. Maybe i'm just misreading things because he's kind of a laid back dude and not overly enthusiastic about anything. But to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he goes somewhere else when given the chance.

I really, really, really hope i'm wrong.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
J, I know what you mean, and I also hope it's just his laid back attitude. He's DEFINITELY what you think of when someone mentions a "chill cat."

60niners

Reaction score
ivotuk":g8ctz2ng said:
I read a random tweet where Dashon said "It's good to be somewhere where they want me."
This saddens me. I know he was valued in SF and if he would have accepted the offer they gave him I'm sure they would love to have him back..... But the truth of the matter is that he was seeking out something that SF was not able to offer no matter what, so he had to know that he was moving on.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2lwbh46p said:
I might get crushed for this comment, but Earl has never struck me as somebody who is in love with being in Seattle. Maybe i'm just misreading things because he's kind of a laid back dude and not overly enthusiastic about anything. But to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised at all if he goes somewhere else when given the chance.

I remember people trying to analyze Thomas' demeanor when he was being drafted by us. "He doesn't look excited! Oh noes!" :mrgreen:

I don't care if Earl loves being in Seattle. I do care, however, if he loves his teammates and feels that his best chance for a championship is with them. I don't get the sense that Schneider and Co. would lowball Thomas, and it's likely that they'll try to lock him up before he hits FA due to his being a crucial piece of the defense (some might say THE crucial piece). Money, camaraderie, and the chance for a ring will speak plenty loud.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Largent80":2hitx1z0 said:
What Goldson does not get is the 2 whippings he would have gotten from us in SF.

Yeah, he'll be getting them from us instead. 40 burgers twice a year. :th2thumbs: :0190l:

drdiags

Reaction score
ivotuk":3nfpxbtd said:
I read a random tweet where Dashon said "It's good to be somewhere where they want me."

In the end, most pro athletes want to be paid. It is how they measure their worth. It is also why they need agents so they don't have to deal with the cold-hard nature of negotiations.

No one knows how a player really feels about the team they play with until it comes time for a player to choose a team as a FA. Look at the number of folks shocked by the tactics Hutchinson pulled. Only the folks that really had inside access or knowledge knew how volatile that relationship was.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Earl will/should get highest safety money.

The thing is what do you pay Sherm at that point? I love Sherm but teams have won without paying a CB 10 milliin plus. Troy and Reed have multiples. Revis has zero. Sorry to off topic.

What I love about Goldson is the highlight they show of him when he was a FA, was him getting rolled by Beast Mode. That's like showing a guy miss a dunk.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Revis might not have any, but what about Deion Sanders? Charles Woodson? Sorry but I think your logic is a little flawed Cali

noflyzone

Reaction score
drdiags":20rg50en said:
ivotuk":20rg50en said:

In the end, most pro athletes want to be paid. It is how they measure their worth. It is also why they need agents so they don't have to deal with the cold-hard nature of negotiations.

No one knows how a player really feels about the team they play with until it comes time for a player to choose a team as a FA. Look at the number of folks shocked by the tactics Hutchinson pulled. Only the folks that really had inside access or knowledge knew how volatile that relationship was.

Brings back repressed memories of Earl getting trucked by Jacquizz. :(

-The Glove-

Reaction score
volsunghawk":36leunco said:
JSeahawks":36leunco said:

I remember people trying to analyze Thomas' demeanor when he was being drafted by us. "He doesn't look excited! Oh noes!" :mrgreen:

I don't care if Earl loves being in Seattle. I do care, however, if he loves his teammates and feels that his best chance for a championship is with them. I don't get the sense that Schneider and Co. would lowball Thomas, and it's likely that they'll try to lock him up before he hits FA due to his being a crucial piece of the defense (some might say THE crucial piece). Money, camaraderie, and the chance for a ring will speak plenty loud.
I read an article/tweet/comment (can't recall) where Schneider was talking about, with the loss of Idzik, the first thing they did was look at the finances for a couple years that included paying Thomas. Something like that. He's the glue that holds the D together. As much as I love the rest of the legion, and though Shermans my favorite, Earl would be irreplaceable and I don't think the others are.