Glenn Dorsey to SF

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Dorsey is miscast in a 3-4. I have no idea why he would do this... I hope he signed a huge contact. because this is a bad signing if it was.

hawker84

Reaction score
i was misused as in a 3-4 in KC and was used as a DE, in SF he will more than likely move back to his natural position DT/ or perhaps NT to replace Sop...

Basis4day

Reaction score
Blitzer88":32ic1npj said:
Man.......we need to start signing some DLineman before they are all gone.

Or we could not go into full on panic mode.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
hawker84":nw257pj8 said:
i was misused as in a 3-4 in KC and was used as a DE, in SF he will more than likely move back to his natural position DT/ or perhaps NT to replace Sop...

The niners utilize the 3-4 as well so it is either miscast as a DE or NT for him.

kearly

Reaction score
I hope they see him as a 3-4 DE, and pass on Datone Jones as a result.

KentuckyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":ik8ye1yd said:
I hope they see him as a 3-4 DE, and pass on Datone Jones as a result.

Agreed.

I wasn't totally on board with Jones at 25, but if we were to get him at 56 I'd be very happy. Would be a nice replacement for Jason Jones with the potential to bulk up into a full-time 3 tech after a couple of years.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I would of liked a small try-out deal for a year, don't know if he'll be anything more than depth though.

757Niner

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1yeierjw said:
hawker84":1yeierjw said:

The niners utilize the 3-4 as well so it is either miscast as a DE or NT for him.

He's no NT. Baalke knows that, which is why they extended Ian Williams. Our NT played only 30% of our defensive snaps last year. This is about getting more pressure out of our nickel defense. Dorsey will be a 3-tech in our four man front and rotate in to keep guys fresh. Our biggest issue was not having enough frontline depth. Dorsey helps alleviate some of that. This move was all about improving our nickel defense, which has now become a base defense in today's NFL. My concern right now is the price tag. Hopefully we didn't give up too much for a guy who's essentially a role player to start out.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Looks like they're grasping at straws with this particular get. Glenn Dorsey is a pretty mediocre D-lineman, especially given where KC drafted him.

hawker84

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1vu2wxuu said:
hawker84":1vu2wxuu said:

my bad.. i thought they ran 4 d linemen in their nickel and dime packages

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
757Niner":22ghy5k1 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":22ghy5k1 said:
hawker84":22ghy5k1 said:

He's no NT. Baalke knows that, which is why they extended Ian Williams. Our NT played only 30% of our defensive snaps last year. This is about getting more pressure out of our nickel defense. Dorsey will be a 3-tech in our four man front and rotate in to keep guys fresh. Our biggest issue was not having enough frontline depth. Dorsey helps alleviate some of that. This move was all about improving our nickel defense, which has now become a base defense in today's NFL. My concern right now is the price tag. Hopefully we didn't give up too much for a guy who's essentially a role player to start out.

That makes more sense than bringing him in to play in your base 3-4. KC already wasted the first several years of his career trying to make him a 3-4 D-Lineman.

hawker84

Reaction score

guys over on your board seem to think they'll be using him at NT from what i read

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think this board is underestimating his talents. World beater? No. But can he grab two guys so an outside linebacker can run free? For sure.

I think it is a good signing for SF.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Ya'll aren't missing anything. He couldn't play 3-4 in KC, same thing will happen in SF. He's been a bust since being drafted.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ifnahyv said:
I think this board is underestimating his talents. World beater? No. But can he grab two guys so an outside linebacker can run free? For sure.

I think it is a good signing for SF.

This^
All we want him to do is provide quality depth and take up 2 lineman at the snap of the ball, he plenty good enough to do that. Upgrade over lost players Francois and Soapoaga for sure as dlineman!

757Niner

Reaction score
hawker84":2l8z8ldv said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2l8z8ldv said:
hawker84":2l8z8ldv said:

my bad.. i thought they ran 4 d linemen in their nickel and dime packages

We do. Even our base defense incoperates alot of four man lines with 3-4 personnel. He was asked to 2-gap alot uder Crennel. He'll strictly be a penetrating, one-gapper like he was in college. We wont used him like we used Sopoaga, even if he is at NT. More like Ratcliff in Dallas....penetrate, shoot gaps, etc. Its what we would have done if we would have kept RJF to take over for Sopaga. Instead we got his more hearalded college teammate for a fraction of the cost. He defintely didnt live up to the his draft status. But Tomsula is one of the best, if not the best D-Line coaches in the league. He turned Aubrayo Franklin into one of the best NTs in the league when he was with us. Nobody viewed Justin Smith as the beast he is until he came to the Niners. RJF just got PAID....and he was a 7th round pick, who ppl said couldn't cut it as a 5-Tech when he was drafted. I'm confident he'll get the most out Dorsey, or at least more than KC did.