If you had $10mm

SDHawk

Reaction score
Assuming we have around $10.5mm in cap space, how would you split it between DT/DE/LB and who would you target?

$3.5mm to DE/DT Israel Idonije (2yr/$7m)
$3.0mm to DT Alan Branch (3yr/$9mm)
$3.5mm to LB Connor Barwin or Brad Jones (4yr/$14mm)

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Sign Branch, draft pass rushers.

Pass rusher are always more expensive than solid run stopping DT's.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Israel Idonije is going into his age 34 season and made just $2.5m last year. He had 7.5 sacks. By comparison, John Abraham got paid $4.4m and was said to be seeking double that amount this year. He had 10 sacks last year. I see Israel as the bargain.

DJrmb

Reaction score
12th_Bob":24a99xxy said:

Its typically assumed to be 2-3 years before Defensive lineman adjust to the NFL and play at their full potential. It's fairly unlikely that a rookie D-lineman can come in and make much of an impact this year, especially considering we don't have a 1st round pick...

kidhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":1hu72ycp said:
12th_Bob":1hu72ycp said:

Its typically assumed to be 2-3 years before Defensive lineman adjust to the NFL and play at their full potential. It's fairly unlikely that a rookie D-lineman can come in and make much of an impact this year, especially considering we don't have a 1st round pick...

Does that mean that you expect our 1st pick from last year to improve his skills this year, and if so, do you think we may already have the answer to the question on our roster?

The Radish

Reaction score
Throwdown":3004506f said:
CANHawk":3004506f said:
If I had $10mm you know what I'd do...? Two chicks at the same time buddy...

This man is smarter than all of you.

If we had $10 million we certainly wouldn't be hanging around with you assholes!

:lol:

Throwdown

Reaction score
The Radish":27cpyayo said:
Throwdown":27cpyayo said:
CANHawk":27cpyayo said:

If we had $10 million we certainly wouldn't be hanging around with you assholes!

:lol:

You love us, admit it.

The Radish

Reaction score
jammerhawk":27bge55f said:
LOL, sure you would Les, you like all of us.

Sadly my cross to bear. It also breaks my heart that you see through my bravado so easily. hahahahahaha

And if you believe that I want to talk to you about some lake property I have for sale in the Navaho Indian Reservation.

:D

grizbob

Reaction score
If I had 10 mil, I'd buy me and 15 of my closest .net pals charter season tickets, so send me your lottery tickets :mrgreen:

Rat

Reaction score
Could Connor Barwin do the LEO thing? I was under the impression that he was really good, but I guess I didn't pay much attention to him last year, because I was very surprised by his stats. What happened to him?

DJrmb

Reaction score
kidhawk":1tlw0hdu said:
DJrmb":1tlw0hdu said:
12th_Bob":1tlw0hdu said:

Does that mean that you expect our 1st pick from last year to improve his skills this year, and if so, do you think we may already have the answer to the question on our roster?

Yes kind of. I fully believe Pete Carroll when he says that Irvin is the perfect mold for his Leo position and will be the successor to Clemons. I don't know if he is completely ready to take over that role full time this year though. And even if he is then we need someone to play the other DE position on passing downs.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Rat":27fcqngs said:
Could Connor Barwin do the LEO thing? I was under the impression that he was really good, but I guess I didn't pay much attention to him last year, because I was very surprised by his stats. What happened to him?

Could Connor Barwin do the LEO thing?

Yeah, he is scheme-versatile and can play DE/LEO.

This is another reason why I like him.

He did fall off last year.. he went from 11 sacks to just 3. I don't think it has to do with ability because the guy can run a 4.40 40 yard dash and has a 40inch vertical. He's very athletic.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Yes kind of. I fully believe Pete Carroll when he says that Irvin is the perfect mold for his Leo position and will be the successor to Clemons. I don't know if he is completely ready to take over that role full time this year though. And even if he is then we need someone to play the other DE position on passing downs.

All the more reason why we shouldn't break the bank on Abraham or Seymour. All we need is a capable rental for cheap.

DJrmb

Reaction score
SDHawk":10gavvl2 said:

All the more reason why we shouldn't break the bank on Abraham or Seymour. All we need is a capable rental for cheap.

Break the bank?

Both those guys are expected to sign veteran minimum deals (or close to it) just to play 1 or 2 more years and compete for a championship. They are exactly what we're looking for...

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3rv65eri said:
CANHawk":3rv65eri said:

I got in late, but I was going to say something to the effect of "Sign nobody, go on vacation".

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":cipkgy16 said:
SDHawk":cipkgy16 said:

Break the bank?

Both those guys are expected to sign veteran minimum deals (or close to it) just to play 1 or 2 more years and compete for a championship. They are exactly what we're looking for...

DJ, I suggest you actually read FA news before commenting. Seymour is looking for lots of money, Abraham is looking for $8-$12m per season.