Overrated Movies

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Overrated Movies
Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 am
  • The Matrix
    Juno
    Gladiator
    Titanic
    The Dark Knight
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Re: Overrated Movies
Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am
  • WTF? Like, two of those are overrated. Juno and Avatar are the two I'd say, even though I did like Avatar quite a bit.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:WTF? Like, two of those are overrated. Juno and Avatar are the two I'd say, even though I did like Avatar quite a bit.

Exactly. People love those movies. Those movies are a lot of people's favorite movies of all time. I thought they were all ok, pretty good. None of them were bad, I just didn't think they were great. Hence, overrated.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 am
  • I'll be shocked if most people here don't disagree with you on Gladiator, The Dark Knight, and The Matrix. I certainly do.

I also disagree with you on Titanic. Yes, I'm a guy, and a straight one at that; but I admit that I like the movie Titanic. Bash me all you want, I don't like it for the love story in it, but just overall it's incredibly well done and widely considered to be a very accurate depiction of the actual sinking of the ship in real life. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I do like the movie Titanic and don't think it's overrated. I'll probably get flayed for saying this, but whatever, I'm secure enough with myself to admit it.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:24 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'll be shocked if most people here don't disagree with you on Gladiator, The Dark Knight, and The Matrix. I certainly do.

I also disagree with you on Titanic. Yes, I'm a guy, and a straight one at that; but I admit that I like the movie Titanic. Bash me all you want, I don't like it for the love story in it, but just overall it's incredibly well done and widely considered to be a very accurate depiction of the actual sinking of the ship in real life. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I do like the movie Titanic and don't think it's overrated. I'll probably get flayed for saying this, but whatever, I'm secure enough with myself to admit it.

When I saw Titanic in the theater with a girl I thought it was pretty good. I watched it a 2nd time at home a year or 2 later and I thought it was not nearly as good. It was good on the big screen but had very little replay value. It's one of the highest grossing films of all time. Hence, overrated.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 am
  • That's where we'll differ, then; which is fine. I liked it the last time I saw it, which was admittedly a few years ago, but I think it stands up under repeat viewings. It's definitely one of the "most necessary to see on the big screen" films ever, though. The sheer size and scope of everything in the film pretty much demands it.

I think the radio massively overplaying Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" following the release of the film, for YEARS, has a lot to do with the negativity associated with the film, though. I don't think there has ever been a more overplayed song in the history of mankind.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 am
  • I read a book about the Titanic when I was 8 and have been obsessed since with the real story.. I loved the movie because of how accurate and detailed it was.. It panders to people like me. An example.. Jack steals a coat in the movie.. The proper owner was a real passenger. In the scene he steals it in the background you see a boy playing with a top , his dad looking on. That's based on a real photograph from the Titanic (by someone who got off in Cherbourg). The baker stepping off the stern as it submerges.. That happened. The car Jake and Rose have sex in? That car existed.. There was a car in the hold. I could go on and on... Awesome detail.

Anyway. Over rated movies?
    I will volunteer to be stoned now with Roland.. I think Pulp Fiction is over rated.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 am
  • Vetamur wrote:
    I will volunteer to be stoned now with Roland.. I think Pulp Fiction is over rated.

I love Pulp Fiction. Not my favorite Tarantino movie, but a very good one. It is overrated, however, I'll agree with that. People put it up there with the greatest films of all time, and it's not in the discussion.

I think memento is overrated. I expect to get flamed for that, but there it is. Everyone kept telling me what an amazing movie it is, but I thought it was just ok. Same with Super Troopers. Didn't think it was that funny.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am
  • I'll agree with Peaches that Memento is overrated. While I throw stones at Veta over Pulp Fiction. :D
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:

I love Pulp Fiction. Not my favorite Tarantino movie, but a very good one. It is overrated, however, I'll agree with that. People put it up there with the greatest films of all time, and it's not in the discussion.

I think memento is overrated. I expect to get flamed for that, but there it is. Everyone kept telling me what an amazing movie it is, but I thought it was just ok. Same with Super Troopers. Didn't think it was that funny.

You take that back about Super Troopers! Only 49er fans don't love that movie...

*edited for language, forgot this wasn't the shack :oops:
    Tokadub wrote:I'm telling you guys Bennett is super overrated he's gonna be a piece of dino poo next season and I'm gonna LOL.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am
  • Pulp Fiction is an awesome movie, so I don't know what you dunderheads are talking about.

Scarface is an overrated movie.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 am
  • 12evanf wrote:
    Scarface is an overrated movie.

Agreed a hundred times.

It's a Wonderful Life. What a lousy, saccharine, melodramatic waste of time. When people ask what you mean by first world problems, just show them this film. Oh, poor me, I have a beautiful wife, but my brother gets to see the world, I own a business, but my brother's a war hero, I'm in a town with a rich douchebag who stole the money I put in my alcoholic uncle's hands....let me go kill myself. Give me a break.

Titanic is 1 hour good 6 hours boring. Sure, it's got lots of cool details. Would have been nice if the same level of attention was paid to the story. *cues Honest Trailers voice* Meet Jack, an unrealistically sexy peasant... *insert the-editing-room*... who's really James Cameron's avatar

I agree with Zeb about the Dark Knight. Great spectacle, Ledger is great, but it really falls apart if you pay attention to it, and once you notice the gaping holes, they don't go away. Same problem with TDKR.

I'm trying to remember what other 'good' movies made me physically angry for watching. I'm sure someone else will mention one.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:01 am
  • You're nuts if you think The Dark Knight suffers from the same problems The Dark Knight Rises has. Way too much crammed into the latter, and it broke the movie. The Dark Knight is great.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 am
  • I always thought the Godfather trilogy was overrated.
    Tokadub wrote:I'm telling you guys Bennett is super overrated he's gonna be a piece of dino poo next season and I'm gonna LOL.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 am
  • Agree on Scarface.
    Inception.
    Every Batman movie since the first with Keaton.
    There Will Be Blood.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:You're nuts if you think The Dark Knight suffers from the same problems The Dark Knight Rises has. Way too much crammed into the latter, and it broke the movie. The Dark Knight is great.

To me, Dark Knight suffers from silly-ness and too many Harvey Dent monologues. We get it, you make your own luck.

If not for Ledger, that film isn't nearly as well regarded, imo. For a movie that wants to be realistic, it requires a ton of suspension-of-belief.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 am
  • Absolut, I don't disagree, but your points all go for triple in the final film of the series; there's just no way #3 is equivalent to #2.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Absolut, I don't disagree, but your points all go for triple in the final film of the series; there's just no way #3 is equivalent to #2.

Scumbag Roland:

Calls person nuts for pointing out issues.

Backhandedly agrees in following posts.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am
  • Huh? I agree that Ledger made #2 in a lot of ways. I'm still saying that #3 had way too much garbage crammed into it and didn't do anything to make you care about any of the new characters, so it felt far less complete in a lot of ways. You're mixing up what I'm agreeing and disagreeing with, Sarlacc.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:37 am
  • You can cross the Matrix and Gladiator off of your list.

Those movies are still amazing.

I remember walking into the theater to watch Gladiator and passing a friend of mine who was coming out. I asked him how it was and he said "If you have testicles, you will love this movie."

We can argue about whether or not I have testicles until we're blue in the balls, but I'll be damned if I didn't love that movie.

The Matrix has been soured a bit due to the ridiculous amount of copycatism that it has garnered, but it is far from over rated...faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Absolut, I don't disagree, but your points all go for triple in the final film of the series; there's just no way #3 is equivalent to #2.

Scumbag Roland:

Calls person nuts for pointing out issues.

Backhandedly agrees in following posts.

Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Huh? I agree that Ledger made #2 in a lot of ways. I'm still saying that #3 had way too much garbage crammed into it and didn't do anything to make you care about any of the new characters, so it felt far less complete in a lot of ways. You're mixing up what I'm agreeing and disagreeing with, Sarlacc.

3 is worse than 2, I agree. But that doesn't change that I think 2 is far more overrated. I don't think many people look at 3 as a great movie
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 am

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:03 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:Star Wars......all of them :D

Super overrated. I mean, they broke a lot of new ground technologically, and I think that for the late 70's/early 80's Lucas did about all you could hope for in a sci-fi/fantasy/space opera, but as films in the grand scheme of films? They're overrated. They're my favorite movies of all time though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm
  • I like a lot of the movies people here think are overrated. I do like Juno, but I could see how it can be overrated, as the teenage girl does seem too mature for her age. I think Diablo (didn't Diablo Cody write it?) projected too much adult wisdom into her teen girl character that it at times suspends belief.

Loved Gladiator, still do. And I agree about Titanic, I expected it to be a chic flick but was pleasantly surprised and I actually really like that movie and have seen it quite a few times.

Avatar is overrated. It was better than I thought it would be, but it wasn't a great movie either.

Some Like It Hot. I saw it for the first time a few months ago and I honestly thought Marilyn Monroe was overrated. I guess compared to today's standards she seems so average in that movie.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:22 pm
  • MLOhawks wrote:I like a lot of the movies people here think are overrated. I do like Juno, but I could see how it can be overrated, as the teenage girl does seem too mature for her age. I think Diablo (didn't Diablo Cody write it?) projected too much adult wisdom into her teen girl character that it at times suspends belief.

Loved Gladiator, still do. And I agree about Titanic, I expected it to be a chic flick but was pleasantly surprised and I actually really like that movie and have seen it quite a few times.

Avatar is overrated. It was better than I thought it would be, but it wasn't a great movie either.

Some Like It Hot. I saw it for the first time a few months ago and I honestly thought Marilyn Monroe was overrated. I guess compared to today's standards she seems so average in that movie.

Some Like It Hot, IMO, has held up very well over time. Watched it again recently and I was was laughing outloud, especially at the ending. Most of Marilyn's movies suck, but not that one.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm
  • Terrible overrated - Avatar, Titanic, The Green Mile, and Shutter Island.

Hated Titanic probably for the hundred of teen girls sobbing for the last half an hour like the ending was unexpected. Very good special effects and ok acting.

Avatar had great special effects and nothing else.

The Green Mile just didn't do anything for me.

Shutter Island boring as hell.
    storm74
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm
  • Storm officially deserves to be stoned. I'll gather the stones, who wants to hold him?
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm
  • The English patient
    Chariots of fire
    Blair witch project.......

All steaming piles of poo!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 pm
  • Oh.. Thought of another.. The Kings Speech.
    I enjoyed it, but it could have been a 1 hour documentary on Discovery Channel (obviously not on the The History channels obviously, because Aliens).
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 am
  • Storm just reminded me, No Country For Old Men. It was good, but seriously overrated.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 am
  • BASF wrote:Storm just reminded me, No Country For Old Men. It was good, but seriously overrated.

I concur 100%.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:00 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    BASF wrote:Storm just reminded me, No Country For Old Men. It was good, but seriously overrated.

I concur 100%.

+1
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 am
  • 12evanf wrote:
    MLOhawks wrote:I like a lot of the movies people here think are overrated. I do like Juno, but I could see how it can be overrated, as the teenage girl does seem too mature for her age. I think Diablo (didn't Diablo Cody write it?) projected too much adult wisdom into her teen girl character that it at times suspends belief.

Some Like It Hot, IMO, has held up very well over time. Watched it again recently and I was was laughing outloud, especially at the ending. Most of Marilyn's movies suck, but not that one.

See, I don't really consider it a Marilyn Monroe movie. She's in it, but it's Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis who make it work. Plus it's a Billy Wilder film, so that helps, too. Quite hilarious. I watched it last year, and need to see it again.

Also, agree on No Country for Old Men. The Coen brothers did a bang up job with the direction and the mood, but the actual plot/characters left a lot to be desired. I'm not a fan of unstoppable cold evil in a 'realistic' movie. It doesn't ring true to me.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 am
  • Pulp Fiction was under-rated if anything.
    Five Stars. Hell, Five and a half.
    "We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
    Angry Doug
    "We're looking for grit"
    Pete Carroll
    "We got grit. That's it."
    Earl Thomas.
    Rocket
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm
  • Argo. It was good, hardly great.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Argo. It was good, hardly great.

I'll agree with that. I could say the same for every movie I've seen this last year as saw all the Oscar nominees. Nothing blew me away.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    BASF wrote:Storm just reminded me, No Country For Old Men. It was good, but seriously overrated.

I concur 100%.

+1

I disagree. I didn't even think it was any good.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:48 pm
  • Chariots of Fire

Even if I don't like an award winning movie, I'll usually be able to see what others might like about it. Not with this borefest, though.
    I'd rather be Jennifer Connelly's character at the end of Requiem for a Dream than have to sit through it again.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:19 am
  • Fight Club
    Lost in Translation
    Bourne trilogy
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:07 am
  • Hawkspur wrote:Fight Club
    Lost in Translation
    Bourne trilogy

The first rule of Fight Club.... No way.

Bourne Legacy, trilogy just sucked.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information