Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

SeatownJay

Reaction score
2nd half of their matchup with Tigres is tonight. Seattle needs to win by 2 goals to advance. I'm not optimistic they can pull it off.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sounders 0 - Tigres 1 at the half. Seattle's now gone 225 minutes without scoring and the way they look they're not going to break that streak any time soon, even with a man advantage. They're getting completely outplayed at home by the Tigres B team.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1c9obhxx said:
Sounders 0 - Tigres 1 at the half. Seattle's now gone 225 minutes without scoring and the way they look they're not going to break that streak any time soon, even with a man advantage. They're getting completely outplayed at home by the Tigres B team.

You were wrong.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3ns5bybo said:
SeatownJay":3ns5bybo said:

You were wrong.
Yes I was. For the first time this year Seattle started getting the bounces going their way in the second half.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2qsfaa4d said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2qsfaa4d said:
SeatownJay":2qsfaa4d said:

You were wrong.
Yes I was. For the first time this year Seattle started getting the bounces going their way in the second half.

They finished 3-1, but Seattle still missed a lot of opportunities. I never want to see Andy Rose in the box again, that's for sure. Way too cute with the ball.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
What a finish tonight by the boys...Gave me a heart attack for sure....pure Golazo's by Traore and Yedlin (how good is this kid going to be!).

And yes, Martins has arrived, officially. His old club in Spain has said he is coming, and he was on the sidelines with the Sounders last night. I believe he will be available for selection vs Portland this weekend.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why did Tigres bring such a reduced squad? is the Concacaf CL that unimportant to them? Did they have a big league fixture on the horizon? seemed strange...

Nice result for the Sounders. I wasnt super impressed by Yedlin, Smurf. Sure he had a goal, and some nice runs, but hes an outside back. would be great if he defended. Was at fault for the goal, was at fault for the toe poke that had to be saved, and left his mark on the corner that they nearly converted. Very naive, bit too many mistakes. I wouldnt call his goal a "golazo" (a term i think is ridiculous by the way) either. He hit a volley that ricocheted off a defender and bounced in. He's young though, and he can be special (I dont know about EPL special, that's a bit of a stretch).Traore's goal was a stunner though.

A little bit of history. I feel like they need 3 points this weekend though

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2q17vwm0 said:
Why did Tigres bring such a reduced squad? is the Concacaf CL that unimportant to them? Did they have a big league fixture on the horizon? seemed strange...
According to the announcers, this was their 5th match in 14 days and their second in a row on the road and on artificial turf. They were worried about wear & tear on some of their big names as they try to hold on to 1st place in Liga MX.

McG

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39wh3mhz said:

Nice result for the Sounders. I wasnt super impressed by Yedlin, Smurf. Sure he had a goal, and some nice runs, but hes an outside back. would be great if he defended. Was at fault for the goal, was at fault for the toe poke that had to be saved, and left his mark on the corner that they nearly converted. Very naive, bit too many mistakes. I wouldnt call his goal a "golazo" (a term i think is ridiculous by the way) either. He hit a volley that ricocheted off a defender and bounced in. He's young though, and he can be special (I dont know about EPL special, that's a bit of a stretch).Traore's goal was a stunner though.

A little bit of history. I feel like they need 3 points this weekend though

Well first of all, CONCACAF CL isn't anywhere close to the UEFA CL in term of popularity, competition, or most importantly for Tigres money. The MX League is far and away more important and I'm sure there might have been a bit of arrogance from the Mexican side after what they did to the Sounders in the first leg.

Now when it comes to Yedlin, that goal he "gave up" wasn't his fault. It was a clear foul on the Tigres player when he pushed down Yedlin, sure he went down pretty easy, but most refs wont just let you shove a guy down in that situation with out blowing the whistle. In regards to his "golazo" you are right about the terminology it is ridiculous, but I think Smurf was using it as a middle finger to a Mexican team that disrespected us seeing it's what Spanish (mostly Mexican) commentators use when there is an amazing goal. With that said, that goal was amazing. Sure it hit a defender, but it was a volley from 30+ yards out. You have to realize that just because it was deflected, that doesn't discount how great of a goal it was. In the EPL and other big leagues around the world and Europe that goal would be considered quality. You just don't see a lot of volleys from that far out going on target much less finding the back of the net. Oh yeah btw he is only 19, we just have to hope the salary cap gets expanded greatly in the next 3-4 years or this kid will be in Europe.

Traore's shot was crazy/amazing too. Two goals of the year in one game from two new players, wow. In a game that means this much to Seattle and the MLS, shows that we are hopefully moving in the right direction. I just can't wait to see Martins paired upfront with EJ. I think this could be our year, regardless of the loss in week one of league play. I still can't believe that Seattle advanced, with the budget MLS teams are limited to. :th2thumbs:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
That 2nd half of last night's game was amazing. Yedlin has very impressive ball skills. He was the best on the Sounders side in the game. I don't know why Rose is even on the team. Caskey should have been in there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
McG...

This wasn't my first soccer game. And as a collegiate rightback at the D1 level I would take umbrage if an official did call a foul there. (I'm not trying to sound like an a-- either, just saying in my playing experience I wouldnt expect a foul there). Was a good shoulder contact. Yedlin was late to the mark because he wasn't reading the run of play. He was catching up so was off balance when he was thrown off the ball. Solid play by the striker, poor from Yedlin, poor from the cBack as well. It wasnt the first or last Tigres abused the right side of the Sounders defense in attack.

Look a 30 yard volley isn't all that unfamiliar. It was struck hard but that's not remarkable. It took a deflection. Not alot to it. Good goal. Quality? I guess we can differ. He made good contact. He kept it down and it was going to be on frame by the looks of it. This is professional soccer though.

Ill let Smurf answer the Golazo claim. Although i seriously doubt he did it with as much thought as you give him credit for. Smurf loves the term. Always has.

I fully understand that the CONCACAF CL isnt the UEFA CL. I appreciate the clarification. However, for a Mexican league team to throw out a very reduced squad at this juncture of the tournament asks some questions of its importance. (and arrogance after a 1-0 win? I dont think so. SeatownJay's response makes more sense... but still). I highly doubt the fiscal advantages of winning the Mexican league far outweigh any tournament to the point you dont even bring a full 18 to the stadium. I guess I shouldnt argue, hadnt it been for the second yellow they more than likely would have advanced.

I'll leave it to Smurf to answer. He has been lobbying for this and the US Open to garner more respect. I thought Tigres would have been happier to stay home last night.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Just keep watching Yedlin Si. He's special. He made some mistakes last night, but he also led the the charge on the comeback. Solid playing time in this league will only make him better. He was magnificent vs Montreal (the lone goal was most certainly not his fault), so much so I would say he was the man of the match. Yedlin has the talent to become a big player in American soccer, national team type of quality. Its going to be fun to watch this kid develop infront of us.

The volley was spectacular, not Traore spectacular, not Cisse spectacular (The one off the throw in last year)....but it was a fantastic strike and you surely can't argue the importance of the goal. It wasn't just a goal, which is why I used the term Golazo. That goal was special. It was a young player, who has errored earlier causing a goal scored against attempting to spark a fire in the squad. Circumstantially, the goal was exquisite, not just technically sound or fun to watch.

Traore's goal is one that leaves the world speechless....Its one of those hits where you wonder what in the world possessed him to try and hit it...but the result makes your jaw drop.

EJ's goal was some HORRIBLE keeping. He cheated the cutback so hard there was nearly a yard and a half between the keeper and the post.

Tigres brought a reduced side due to their fixture congestion. That is correct...stupid decision, that said it looked to be a brilliant call after 40 minutes.

The CCL is still struggling for relevancy, and at least in Seattle this game will help that out a bit (the number of non soccer fans who are talking about the game from last night is pretty obscured right now.)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1am9manq said:
Just keep watching Yedlin Si. He's special. He made some mistakes last night, but he also led the the charge on the comeback. Solid playing time in this league will only make him better. He was magnificent vs Montreal (the lone goal was most certainly not his fault), so much so I would say he was the man of the match. Yedlin has the talent to become a big player in American soccer, national team type of quality. Its going to be fun to watch this kid develop infront of us.

The volley was spectacular, not Traore spectacular, not Cisse spectacular (The one off the throw in last year)....but it was a fantastic strike and you surely can't argue the importance of the goal. It wasn't just a goal, which is why I used the term Golazo. That goal was special. It was a young player, who has errored earlier causing a goal scored against attempting to spark a fire in the squad. Circumstantially, the goal was exquisite, not just technically sound or fun to watch.

Traore's goal is one that leaves the world speechless....Its one of those hits where you wonder what in the world possessed him to try and hit it...but the result makes your jaw drop.

EJ's goal was some HORRIBLE keeping. He cheated the cutback so hard there was nearly a yard and a half between the keeper and the post.

Tigres brought a reduced side due to their fixture congestion. That is correct...stupid decision, that said it looked to be a brilliant call after 40 minutes.

The CCL is still struggling for relevancy, and at least in Seattle this game will help that out a bit (the number of non soccer fans who are talking about the game from last night is pretty obscured right now.)

I love you Smurf... you know this.

Yedlin's goal was of massive importance. There is no doubt. I'll leave it at that. It was well struck and on frame from an audacious distance. (I dont think its going in without the deflection). But you cant argue the effort or technique. 8 out of 10 times that ball ends up 20 rows deep.

I like the sight of Yedlin running up the wing. Its great to see the Sounders utilize that type of player. However, he's going to need to be better protected by his centerback and midfield if he's going to vacate his space to attack. He got caught with his eyes up the field a handful of times last night. But there isnt any doubting his potential.

Maybe the Sounders progression will add some weight to the CL.

McG

Reaction score
Uncle Si":300osrp4 said:
McG...

This wasn't my first soccer game. And as a collegiate rightback at the D1 level I would take umbrage if an official did call a foul there. (I'm not trying to sound like an a-- either, just saying in my playing experience I wouldnt expect a foul there). Was a good shoulder contact. Yedlin was late to the mark because he wasn't reading the run of play. He was catching up so was off balance when he was thrown off the ball. Solid play by the striker, poor from Yedlin, poor from the cBack as well. It wasnt the first or last Tigres abused the right side of the Sounders defense in attack.

Look a 30 yard volley isn't all that unfamiliar. It was struck hard but that's not remarkable. It took a deflection. Not alot to it. Good goal. Quality? I guess we can differ. He made good contact. He kept it down and it was going to be on frame by the looks of it. This is professional soccer though.

Ill let Smurf answer the Golazo claim. Although i seriously doubt he did it with as much thought as you give him credit for. Smurf loves the term. Always has.

I fully understand that the CONCACAF CL isnt the UEFA CL. I appreciate the clarification. However, for a Mexican league team to throw out a very reduced squad at this juncture of the tournament asks some questions of its importance. (and arrogance after a 1-0 win? I dont think so. SeatownJay's response makes more sense... but still). I highly doubt the fiscal advantages of winning the Mexican league far outweigh any tournament to the point you dont even bring a full 18 to the stadium. I guess I shouldnt argue, hadnt it been for the second yellow they more than likely would have advanced.

I'll leave it to Smurf to answer. He has been lobbying for this and the US Open to garner more respect. I thought Tigres would have been happier to stay home last night.

Hey man I never assumed that this was the first match that you had seen and congrats on playing D-1. With that said, I fully disagree with the fact that you think that was not a foul on Yedlin. I understand that in most leagues that isn't a foul. There is a huge disparity between D-1 soccer and professional televised soccer, D-1 soccer is a lot like A or AA minor league baseball. The talent level is amazingly low and a lot of the play is physical so the refs let a lot of BS go on that you would never see in a lower level league like the MLS. Now I understand Yeldin was out of position, but the fact is that the Tigres player played the man not the ball. The outcome of him running through Yedlin to receive the ball should have been any easy free kick call at the spot. We can agree to disagree.

When it comes to the CL, it's a joke. Click the link and have a read, it's a little old but the fact that $36,000 is all the winners get (not sure if that's per player or for the club, but I think it may be for the club) is a joke compared to even the US Open being $100,000 for winning less games (US Open 5-8g's/CL 12-14). I'm sure the MX championship pays quite a bit more to say the least.

-Make sure you scroll down to the CONCACAF-

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...-to-1-5-mil-for-afc-champions-league.1120819/

When it comes to the goals, yeah a 30 yard volley is very unfamiliar... in the MLS, lol. I think as a first professional goal it's not too bad. I'm just excited to see a young player that hasn't wasted 4+ years in college on the Sounders. He's a little too much like Dani Alves for me, but I think he has a future as a RM than a RB/LB.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2uvuq0dl said:
Smurf":2uvuq0dl said:

I love you Smurf... you know this.

Yedlin's goal was of massive importance. There is no doubt. I'll leave it at that. It was well struck and on frame from an audacious distance. (I dont think its going in without the deflection). But you cant argue the effort or technique. 8 out of 10 times that ball ends up 20 rows deep.

I like the sight of Yedlin running up the wing. Its great to see the Sounders utilize that type of player. However, he's going to need to be better protected by his centerback and midfield if he's going to vacate his space to attack. He got caught with his eyes up the field a handful of times last night. But there isnt any doubting his potential.

Maybe the Sounders progression will add some weight to the CL.

I'm pretty easy to love. :)

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
BTW everyone, the Martins deal is official and he is eligible to start playing immediately in all comps, including tomorrows Derby vs Portland.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
This officiating crew should be tarred and feathered. No consistency from the head referee. He lets Portland run through the Sounders' players and then calls fouls on the Sounders for putting hands on the nancy timber players.

Latest posts