So, tell me about 2nd round DT's

ivotuk

Reaction score
Booooo on Logan! Yay for Margus Hunt! Oh...DTs you say? Hooray for.....ummm...uhhh...Brandon Williams? Yes! Brandon! And of course Montori Hughes the problem child.

McGruff

Reaction score
Short
Sylvester
Logan
Williams

Hughes is intriguing and could be that surprise.

kearly

Reaction score
Here are the names to watch with an estimate of their likelihood at #56. Unscientific guessing, obviously. (Green denotes a player that I think would be a draft steal at #56). An asterisk (*) denotes a player that did not play DT in college, but has the potential for a move.

Datone Jones (0% to 10%)

The fastest and most productive DT in 2012, but has short arms and inconsistent tape. Finished season on a hot streak. I'm a fan. Opinions are mixed- could slide some- but probably won't.

Kawann Short (10 to 20%)

A great finesse DT that knows how to slip through gaps but isn't much of a physical force. Consistent year to year. Productive. Great pick if he's there at #56.

Sylvester Williams (40%)

Williams could slide because I don't think teams view him as a player with tons of untapped upside. He's more of an Allen Branch type than a Jason Jones type. Good player, and given the lack of alternatives, I'd be fine with taking him in the 2nd.

Brandon Williams (70%)

Huge (341 pounds), slow, but surprisingly he's a better pass rusher than run defender. One of the strangest 3-tech's you'll see. I think he's our most likely pick at #56.

Bennie Logan (80%)

Big and has decent athleticism, he's a well rounded DT that I think will be a league average DT. A poor man's Sylvester Williams.

John Simon (80%)

A favorite of mine. Some people have Simon going in the 2nd, others in the 5th.

*Malliciah Goodman (80%)

Extremely similar to Greg Scruggs in terms of speed, size, weight, arm length, and lack of experience at DT. Scruggs is better though and he was a 7th round pick last year.

*Lavar Edwards (80%)

Edwards is probably the closest thing to a Jason Jones in this draft (very similar height, length, arm length, speed, athleticism). Only problem is, he never played DT, so we don't have the best idea of how he'd handle that move.

*Joe Kruger (80%)

Like Edwards Kruger also didn't play DT, but as a DE he showed good strength and posted Jason Jones type measurables at the combine.

Nick Williams (~100%)

There is nothing of Nick Williams on youtube, but he comes from a small school and posted good measurables. Could be a surprise candidate or he could just be something to watch in the late rounds.

There are other DTs worth noting (Jordan Hill, etc), but I think the rest of the list will either safely reach our 3rd round pick or they aren't 3-techs.

P.S. Hughes is not a 3-tech, IMO. Zero pass rush ability, undeveloped and struggles with interior run defense, but he has a ton of anchor and pure core strength. Very similar to Red Bryant.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think it entirely depends on what happens in free agency. If we stand pat with Scruggs, Howard or maybe sign Jones, we may pick a bigger, stouter guy like Jenkins, Hankins or Hughes. If we re-sign Branch, we could still be in play for Short, Williams or Logan . . .

sutz

Reaction score
Did you say Brandon Williams was the "strangest" DT? Did you mean "strongest?"

;)

McGruff

Reaction score
I really like John Jenkins IF he falls to us.

I also think John Simon could be in play depending on if we re-sign Branch.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
McGruff":4ariteck said:
I think it entirely depends on what happens in free agency. If we stand pat with Scruggs, Howard or maybe sign Jones, we may pick a bigger, stouter guy like Jenkins, Hankins or Hughes. If we re-sign Branch, we could still be in play for Short, Williams or Logan . . .

Man, completely forgot Jay Howard was even on the roster.

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3quhljyd said:
McGruff":3quhljyd said:

Man, completely forgot Jay Howard was even on the roster.

He's kind of the wildcard. Quinn knows him as well as anyone, and gave Pete a good recommendation for him. Maybe he's a surprise starter?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I actually don't think Datone Jones is a 1st round pick. My guess is he'll go between 34-45, but he could fall to 56 in my opinion.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I like Jordan Hill in rd 3. I think the priority is now re-signing Alan Branch and/or Jason Jones.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jordan Hill sucked in the 40/mobility drills at his pro day

kearly

Reaction score
sutz":8pvdscgq said:
Did you say Brandon Williams was the "strangest" DT? Did you mean "strongest?"

;)

Strangest. Huge, slow, short arm, low motor... yet despite that he struggles against the run and is surprisingly good rushing the QB out of the 3-tech.

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":3gefyhmy said:
I actually don't think Datone Jones is a 1st round pick. My guess is he'll go between 34-45, but he could fall to 56 in my opinion.

Opinion on him is very mixed. I think he goes 1st round though since there is a very large emphasis on "upside" and "athleticism" this year, and Datone Jones is the poster child for that kind of pick.