Florio speculates Sidney Rice may be released

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You can't justify the Harvin trade if they cut Rice, which means that guy has no idea what he's talking about. That would mean Seattle essentially gave up a 1st, 7th, 2014 mid-round pick, Leon Washington and Sidney Rice to acquire Percy Harvin. They can't possibly be that stupid.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The only way we get rid of Sidney is if we draft a big WR and he outplays Rice either in TC or during the year and he makes Rice expendable

Hawks46

Reaction score
Like Missing_Clink said, it's hard to speculate cap ramifications without knowing how much we're paying Harvin, and how it's structured.

I can see us needing to restructure Rice or Miller after next year, but we don't have a ton of FA needing to be signed, lots of our draft picks probably won't make the team, and we're saving a TON of money at certain positions, as has also been mentioned.

If we're paying Harvin what he wants though, then yeah, it's logical speculation. That's just too much money tied up in Harvin, Rice, and Miller.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Florio is a complete Douche!! I deleted the PFT because I couldn't stand his speculatory crap. Plus, when he has an agenda, he is relentless about it in every post.

mikeak

Reaction score
Remember - cap now rolls over so cutting Rice today gives us room under the salary cap NEXT YEAR

I still don't think it happens and agree with DavidSeven then we gave up a first, fourth, seven and Rice for Harvin. There is trade value in Rice (I think :) )

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
volsunghawk":gaezdgdt said:
Notice that the "source" only gives details about Rice's contract and doesn't suggest anything about the team's thinking on it. Florio's trying to drum up drama.

East Coast "Drama Queens" have nothing better to do than irresponsible speculation.

LawHawk

Reaction score
Not this year. Some other year where we have to worry about some of our current rookie deals.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think that Sidney may be asked to restructure his deal but even if he says no, he may be able to survive for this season w/o facing the possibility of being cut.

kearly

Reaction score
Rice wouldn't even be the first guy to get approached about his contract anyway. Thankfully, this is just empty speculation by Florio. No smoke, no fire.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
pinksheets":e5ac48ye said:
Florio was also speculating that Percy Harvin's migraines were all fake earlier today.

Beat me to it. Florio's a schmuck. What he doesn't seem to care about is they have cap room THIS year. Rice and Miller's deals are much more cap friendly this year. If we're going all in to win now, it would be ridiculous to cut Rice. Look at his numbers with harvin and favre in minnesota.

bryantology79

Reaction score
pete just said (on siriusXM) they are adding, not moving anyone around or out

razor150

Reaction score
Having 2 small starting receivers would be against the Carroll philosophy on offense. We have no big guy to take Rice's place if released, if he was you'd have to figure they already have another big guy targeted somewhere.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

JSeahawks

Reaction score
From AgentDib's post:

PK: Speculation people may be let go for salary, ripple effect.

PC: He's not taking anybody's spot, we're just adding guys in to get as many good players. We love what golden and sydney are doing for us, and those will be our top 4 and that is good news for us.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bryantology79":2q9hwvmy said:

Here's the quote:

PC: One of our put out transcripts and I was raving about trying to stop him. He gets the ball so many ways and he is such a dangerous runner after the catch. They got it to him in a multitude of ways and one of the great things is that Bevell coached him into the league and respects the hell out of him. We're going to fit him and we have a really nice group with Sidney Rice, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin. He does have some qualities - he carries the ball out of the backfield like a tailback and

Interviewer: Speculation people may be let go for salary, ripple effect.

PC: He's not taking anybody's spot, we're just adding guys in to get as many good players. We love what Golden and Sidney are doing for us, and those will be our top 4 and that is good news for us.

I guess we can lock this up now.

mikeak

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":tr7xe8s5 said:
Why release him this season? What do we need the money for? Next off season re-evaluate maybe to resign Earl and Sherm but there's no point this year

I guess it doesn't matter how many times it is said as people don't seem to get the concept. THE CAP SPACE ROLLS OVER TO NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

that would be what we need the money for.

With that said - PC stated today what we all think. Rice isn't going anywhere but this doesn't change the fact that every dollar saved today is available tomorrow

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
bryantology79":w7x9wqgp said:

Leon Washington must feel pretty confused by that statement

The Outfield

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":364e2902 said:
bryantology79":364e2902 said:

I don't think he said it like that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1j0vhy8b said:
bryantology79":1j0vhy8b said:

This interview took place after Leon was cut. The statement about not moving anyone else around came within the context of him discussing the top four receivers.

bryantology79

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":xih12bym said:
bryantology79":xih12bym said:

sorry, pete meant receiver-wise. i had a sandwich in one hand and cheetos debris on the other when i was typing.